What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB

carlnz

Bench
When they sung the anthem...is that the England national anthem? I noticed proud Irish Brian Carney with his head down the whole time! I tried looking for Harris but couldnt see him....

Another thing, we now have and Ireland and Wales player in the team, do you think for the sake of the game that it should be compulsry to pick two players from each of the four nations? With at least one from each nation making the 17?

I know GB would want to win at all cost with the best team but come time in the World Cup it counts for nothing for Wales, Ireland and Scotland....

Also I think GB should have a four nations Tournment to pick their squad...that way the amatures get a shot of playing with the best players and might spread better interest in the game rather than the European Cup.....

dimitri

First Grade
No its not the english anthem

ENGLAND doesnt have an official anthem

GB does have an official anthem and that is "God save the queen"

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Didnt England at the 2000 World Cup, have a different anthem?

Im pretty sure it wasnt God Save the Queen.

dimitri

First Grade
PARRA_FAN said:
Didnt England at the 2000 World Cup, have a different anthem?

Im pretty sure it wasnt God Save the Queen.

im pretty sure they sang "Land of Hope and Glory" which is sometimes used as anthem for English sides

but it is in no way an official anthem

griff

Bench
England's anthem is Land of Hope and Glory. Not sure if it has any official status.

Brian Carney does always looks a bit embarrassed and like he doesn't want to be there during God Save the Queen.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Could be worse, Brent Webb wouldnt know the NZ anthem or even Haka/ It's funny seeing him trying to do it.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Can someone explain the situation please? Why doesnt Carney acknowledge the anthem? I'm guessing it is something political.

And does the same thing happen in Union with the likes of O'driscoll playing for the Lions?

griff

Bench
Carney obviously feels a bit odd singing God Save the Queen when Irishmen fought and died to be free of the Queen and become a Republic.

I can't remember what they do in Union, but have a vague memory that they sing a verse from God Save the Queen AND a verse from Ireland's Call, the "rugby anthem" of Ireland. Could be wrong though.

Martli

Coach
Another thing, we now have and Ireland and Wales player in the team, do you think for the sake of the game that it should be compulsry to pick two players from each of the four nations? With at least one from each nation making the 17?

Nah, they should be alowed to feild their best possible team, if this means that only one or two come from countries other than england, then so be it.

hutch

First Grade
must field best possible team, but should play full euro champs during middle of the season as their representitive season. 6 nations, eng, ire, wal, sco, fra & rus.

gb team can be chosen from these players, and will allow these countries to be more connected to the gb team, even if most players are from england.
promoted correctly, this could be our version of the 6 nations in union.

inertia666

Juniors
the UK has a real problem come the world cup with splitting up the nations. It serves no purpose other to make the numbers up and put NZ and Aus in the final.

One thing i must say, the kiwi Haka is no where near as well done as their union counterparts. they need to work on that.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
carlnz said:
Do you think they should bring back the Great Britian and France team?

:? I never knew there was a combined GB/France team.

But they should keep France for good.

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, feel for Carney as the GB anthem is a slap to anyone who has Irish heritage and believes in a united Ireland.

There are no other Welsh/Scot/Irish players on the verge of GB selection that would benefit from a four nations selection trial. England (all ESL players) are playing Ireland (2 ESL players?) in the post-season Euro nations final this afternoon anyway and it's predicted to be a whitewash.

The leagues have to be more developed in Ireland, Wales or Scotland before split GB selection trials become a serious option.

carlnz

Bench
Thats why you need to start now before the gap gets to big.....Ireland proved enough today that they canmatch it against a team of professionals so give them a proper shot with Careny in their team against a full strength Wales or England Side..

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, once a year post season games like now, while building the domestic comps more and more.

Then the post season before the 2008 world cup year, throwing the Carneys etc back to their home countries for some full strength split games to prepare the four teams for the world cup?

GB Lion

Juniors
Harris - Welsh! :lol: :lol: born and bred in Oldham, LANCASHIRE

Only qualifies thru the parent/grandparent rule.

disco1

Juniors
Harris is 100% Welsh. There is no doubting that he is of Welsh descent. He has always represented Wales at all levels and codes.

disco1

Juniors
griff said:
Irishmen fought and died to be free of the Queen and become a Republic..

Not all are bomb planting gits, hundreds of thousands of young Irishmen voluntered to fight FOR the British during both wars.

Latest posts