What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

age.s

First Grade
Geez how times have changed, Waqa Blake being a NSW bolter to vanishing into the ether over at parra
I remember that game, I was sitting on the hill and got a very good view of his first try which was a cracker. Blake was a monster back then.

Good case study on why making the move to the wrong setup can backfire, although when he left it probably wasn't clear what we would become shortly after. I think he wins a premiership here if he stays on another year in 2020.

Maybe I'm a sentimental bastard but I would still have him back on the cheap tbh. Just don't have him in a position to catch bombs.

WestyLife

First Grade
Pre-ankle injury Gordon was an absolute freak. Most talented winger we have ever had - even more so than To'o. I know I will get shouted down for this, but he really was.

But Elliot had no idea how to use him. If you teleported 2007-2009 Michael Gordon into our 2020-2023 teams, we wouldn't miss a beat. In fact, we'd have been even better.

People credit Josh Mansour for being the original modern 'metre eater' Winger but Flash was just as capable of it. But he was faster, more evasive, more skillful and a far better defender as well.

Yeah he was absolutely elite.

mxlegend99

Referee
Eels got their hands on him and took away the talent he had. He was a very decent defensive centre for us. At Eels he was awful in defence. The one thing we could rely on him for most weeks was defence.

Was always a poor winger though. Limited space and having to frequently catch bombs gave him too many things to f**k up.

soc123_au

Staff member
I remember that game, I was sitting on the hill and got a very good view of his first try which was a cracker. Blake was a monster back then.

Good case study on why making the move to the wrong setup can backfire, although when he left it probably wasn't clear what we would become shortly after. I think he wins a premiership here if he stays on another year in 2020.

Maybe I'm a sentimental bastard but I would still have him back on the cheap tbh. Just don't have him in a position to catch bombs.
Ha ha, I thought I was sentimental. I had huge hopes for Waqa coming through, man he could bomb a try when he hit the NRL. He murdered 5 or 6 I think before finally getting his first to stick. He had his moments, but glad we moved on. Was sad to see what happened at Parra, they managed to destroy him completely.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Ha ha, I thought I was sentimental. I had huge hopes for Waqa coming through, man he could bomb a try when he hit the NRL. He murdered 5 or 6 I think before finally getting his first to stick. He had his moments, but glad we moved on. Was sad to see what happened at Parra, they managed to destroy him completely.
When Waqa first started playing for us (at the time we were a very average team) I always thought if he went to the Storm and played outside Smith, Cronk and Slater he could have been the best centre in the comp.

age.s

First Grade
Haha yeah it might be a bit mad. But idk he'd cost nothing and for me he's definitely a better player than he showed at Parra. Hardly a problem position for us atm but if he came back at some point and did a Peachey 2.0 I wouldn't be bummed.

MugaB

Coach
Mate we didnt help either, there were atleast 4-5 games/trials where we had played parra, and nathan just bombarded him time and time again, just like we did to mansour when he was at the bunnies,
....we have no shame
My fondest memory was seeing him score 2 tries at the brookvale game where we scored 4 tries in the last 15 mins to steal the game, and then the following week we did it again against the titans, i remember waqa racing away, with brandy losing his shit on commetary box, screaming GO,Go,GO, WAQAAAAAAAAAA, he was a freak back then

The Realist

Juniors
Waqa was an athlete but not so much a natural footy player. He had a very good combo with Kikau for a year or two. He ended up being a very good defender with us. Unfortunately, he was very much a confidence player where if things went wrong for him, they REALLY went wrong.

BA killed him but so did Parra fans who'd scape goat the hell out of him. At times he struggled defensively with Sivo and he coped all the blame but as time has gone by it's become apparent that Sivo is the defensive liability. With no Waqa to blame Sivo's side always appears leaky no matter who they pair him with.

He's an example of a player whose career was killed mid-career by going to the wrong club chasing money.

MugaB

Coach
Waqa was an athlete but not so much a natural footy player. He had a very good combo with Kikau for a year or two. He ended up being a very good defender with us. Unfortunately, he was very much a confidence player where if things went wrong for him, they REALLY went wrong.

BA killed him but so did Parra fans who'd scape goat the hell out of him. At times he struggled defensively with Sivo and he coped all the blame but as time has gone by it's become apparent that Sivo is the defensive liability. With no Waqa to blame Sivo's side always appears leaky no matter who they pair him with.

He's an example of a player whose career was killed mid-career by going to the wrong club chasing money.
Well not only chasing money, we wanted capspace and happily traded him out, for a younger cheaper option, he was one of goulds expensive contracts

Latest posts