What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

MrBlack

Juniors
Moylan and Bryce Cartwright were the antithesis of Pantherball.

Both massive game breakers on their day with ball in hand.

Neither were up for the tough stuff.
Yes but under the current systems that would have been turned around.

Cleary has a way of getting in the head of a player and getting the most out of them (Kenny...)

age.s

First Grade
In fairness, the best that both Moylan and Bryce looked was their first few years under Ivan. It was under Griffin that they started to slide.

They're nothing like the players we've got in those positions now though. Who knows, maybe Ivan would have crafted a winning formula with Moylan and Bryce instead of Dyl and Martin, but then it wouldn't be Pantherball.

Alintheeast

Juniors
Keith Barnes one of the all time great fullbacks of post war Rugby League has passed. There is one yarn about him which demonstrates the difference between his era and current times. He was selected to play for Australia in an ashes test at the SCG on Saturday. Keith had a full time job as a bank teller and he was rostered to work that Saturday morning. He asked his Manager if he could switch shifts with another teller or have day off. Manager said no. Keith worked the shift did his reconciliation and caught the bus from Balmain to the SCG.

WestyLife

First Grade
Kinda hard to compare since there's a big coaching factor as well. Some of those guys excelled under ivan and failed under griffin. Ivan also had Brooks Dally m halfback and now the current Panthers squad. The players themselves have said his big strength is is man management, he doesnt force you to work hard he makes you want to do it. I'd say there's a lot of past Panthers players who'd look really good in the current system. Egan and Gordon would've been peak.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Kinda hard to compare since there's a big coaching factor as well. Some of those guys excelled under ivan and failed under griffin. Ivan also had Brooks Dally m halfback and now the current Panthers squad. The players themselves have said his big strength is is man management, he doesnt force you to work hard he makes you want to do it. I'd say there's a lot of past Panthers players who'd look really good in the current system. Egan and Gordon would've been peak.
Please don't try and use Dally M votes to prove a point. The award has zero credibility

MugaB

Coach
That's right, he even had Ben matalino and Russell packer playing good/at peak, that fell away as soon as he left for some club we shouldn’t mention

Fangs

Coach
Fun fact: Penrith are first for offloads so far in 2024. Even ahead of Parramatta.

Might be the mark of change in the way this team plays its football. Have to evolve if you want to do the unthinkable and win 4 in a row.

MugaB

Coach
Fun fact: Penrith are first for offloads so far in 2024. Even ahead of Parramatta.

Might be the mark of change in the way this team plays its football. Have to evolve if you want to do the unthinkable and win 4 in a row.
We are playing shithouse compared to our standards.... we don't need to offload,
reeks of desperation

abpanther

Staff member
Reports Cleary has had a minor setback with injury and racing the clock to be fit for next week, no good anyone have any update on how bad it is?

MugaB

Coach
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7216d8d42d61a7b4b63be11cdafeccc1

Waqa Blake looming as NSW bolter after surprise first round performance for Panthers

It was the heroic round-one performance that almost never was. Penrith centre Waqa Blake had accepted being ruled out of their season-opening clash against Parramatta after undergoing a shoulder reconstruction over the summer.

It wasn’t until he was a last-minute inclusion in their final trial against Canterbury that he believed he was a chance of taking on the Eels, where he produced a matchwinning effort.

Blake credited the Panthers’ medical staff after he almost single-handedly dragged his side back from a 14-0 deficit with two tries, including a 35-metre solo effort.

“I wasn’t in a rush to try and bring myself back and make myself available. It would’ve been good, but I wasn’t sure,” Blake told AAP of his recovery.

“But the rehab staff got stuck into me and they really worked on me. I thank them. I wasn’t sure if I could last the whole 80 minutes either, but I got out of the woods there.”

Arguably the fastest player in the Panthers squad, Blake has become a key member of the backline and a go-to weapon with the ball.

Now he has his eyes on joining a number of his teammates in hoping to catch the attention of NSW State of Origin coach Brad Fittler.

“Of course it’s a dream of mine. It’s everyone’s dream to play Origin,” Blake said.

“There’s a lot of quality centres Freddie has to choose from, but I do want to step up and show my game more. It’s only been one game though, so I’ve got to show it every week.” Blake was one of a number of Panthers to impress in their comeback victory, with fellow Fijian powerhouse Viliame Kikau also playing a major role in the win.

Five-eighth James Maloney said the team’s natural ability is their main strength heading into the campaign, and that the onus was on him and halves partner Nathan Cleary to harness it.

“Waqa’s first try, that’s what some of these kids can do. That’s just some of the individual brilliance of this side,” Maloney said.

“The idea of playing eyes-up footy when we have teams on the ropes, when we basically back the footy in this side, we can do that really well.

“There’s domination at times, but there’s a lot to work on. Me and Nathan will do that.”
Geez how times have changed, Waqa Blake being a NSW bolter to vanishing into the ether over at parra

The Realist

Juniors

Pre-ankle injury Gordon was an absolute freak. Most talented winger we have ever had - even more so than To'o. I know I will get shouted down for this, but he really was.

But Elliot had no idea how to use him. If you teleported 2007-2009 Michael Gordon into our 2020-2023 teams, we wouldn't miss a beat. In fact, we'd have been even better.

People credit Josh Mansour for being the original modern 'metre eater' Winger but Flash was just as capable of it. But he was faster, more evasive, more skillful and a far better defender as well.

Latest posts