What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

betcats

Referee
Gal had a few little moments and f**k he's tough. He could have easily made a career of boxing

Hes very tough no doubt and he could've been a very good boxer but if he went with boxing instead of footy he would've had to do it the hard way like every other boxer in Australia, there would be no easy road to money fights without his football fame, he would've had to grind out a career and always struggle to get big fights. Huni is the best heavyweight in Australia by a long way and no one knew him before this, he had never had a PPV fight before this and even as clearly the best fighter he had to accept a tiny portion of the money split. If Gal wanted a boxing career he would have had to struggle through training and fights for years for piss all money struggling to make ends meet, its completely different from being a very well off retired footy player whose fame gets him straight on to PPV.

WestyLife

First Grade
Hes very tough no doubt and he could've been a very good boxer but if he went with boxing instead of footy he would've had to do it the hard way like every other boxer in Australia, there would be no easy road to money fights without his football fame, he would've had to grind out a career and always struggle to get big fights. Huni is the best heavyweight in Australia by a long way and no one knew him before this, he had never had a PPV fight before this and even as clearly the best fighter he had to accept a tiny portion of the money split. If Gal wanted a boxing career he would have had to struggle through training and fights for years for piss all money struggling to make ends meet, its completely different from being a very well off retired footy player whose fame gets him straight on to PPV.

A lot of comments today saying Huni was making it last 10 rounds and practising his point scoring for the Olympics.

betcats

Referee
A lot of comments today saying Huni was making it last 10 rounds and practising his point scoring for the Olympics.

Wouldnt surprise me. I can see multiple possibilities for him wanting to drag it out. One could be him just being super careful and really working Gal over before he opened up though that seems unlikely reading the reports. Another could be him trying to keep the fight in an area where a rematch could be justified after the olympics. The point scoring practice had not occurred to me but it seems like a good possibility also.

His style is very suited to olympic boxing with his speed and ability to land clean punches he should medal for sure.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
Wouldnt surprise me. I can seek multiple possibilities for him wanting to drag it out. One could be him just being super careful and really working Gal over before he opened up though that seems unlikely reading the reports. Another could be him trying to keep the fight in an area where a rematch could be justified after the olympics. The point scoring practice had not occurred to me but it seems like a good possibility also.

His style is very suited to olympic boxing with his speed and ability to land clean punches he should medal for sure.

I'm going to follow his career from here. He spoke after about what you said there about his style suiting Olympic boxing and adapting it once he gets back. I haven't been keen on boxing for years but Huni and Tim Tszyu are looking good.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I'm going to follow his career from here. He spoke after about what you said there about his style suiting Olympic boxing and adapting it once he gets back. I haven't been keen on boxing for years but Huni and Tim Tszyu are looking good.
He really lacks power. Says he's still training and fighting like an amateur for the Olympics but it's not something you can just turn on

WestyLife

First Grade
Wouldnt surprise me. I can see multiple possibilities for him wanting to drag it out. One could be him just being super careful and really working Gal over before he opened up though that seems unlikely reading the reports. Another could be him trying to keep the fight in an area where a rematch could be justified after the olympics. The point scoring practice had not occurred to me but it seems like a good possibility also.

He really lacks power. Says he's still training and fighting like an amateur for the Olympics but it's not something you can just turn on

Gallen did say he hit harder than he expected so might be potential there but there's so big blokes in heavyweight.

I take it @betcats didn't watch?

betcats

Referee

Power is something he can work on for sure. With his speed and footwork he is powerful enough the idea he cant do anything on the world stage because of a lack of power is a bit silly. He certainly doesn;t have top notch power but not many of his fights go to the judges scorecards, he finishes them including Gal. Again, ive read he had multiple chances to finish last night and just didnt throw it, the kid is going to be our best boxing product in a long time.

betcats

Referee
Gallen did say he hit harder than he expected so might be potential there but there's so big blokes in heavyweight.

I take it @betcats didn't watch?

Nah I wasnt going to pay or go to the club for a complete mismatch like that. It worries me all the praise Gallen is getting for toughing it out, no doubt he is super tough but it was a huge mismatch in skill, experience, size...fights like that should not be celebrated. I understand both fighters motivations for doing the fight but really Gal should never have been in the ring with someone of Huni's quality, its just dangerous I just saw a video of the irish kid conlon who collapsed after a fight, now he cant even stand up.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Power is something he can work on for sure. With his speed and footwork he is powerful enough the idea he cant do anything on the world stage because of a lack of power is a bit silly. He certainly doesn;t have top notch power but not many of his fights go to the judges scorecards, he finishes them including Gal. Again, ive read he had multiple chances to finish last night and just didnt throw it, the kid is going to be our best boxing product in a long time.
I'm no where near that high on him but happy to be wrong

WestyLife

First Grade
Nah I wasnt going to pay or go to the club for a complete mismatch like that. It worries me all the praise Gallen is getting for toughing it out, no doubt he is super tough but it was a huge mismatch in skill, experience, size...fights like that should not be celebrated. I understand both fighters motivations for doing the fight but really Gal should never have been in the ring with someone of Huni's quality, its just dangerous I just saw a video of the irish kid conlon who collapsed after a fight, now he cant even stand up.

Follow the comments on that tweet. It's a good watch 😏

betcats

Referee
I'm no where near that high on him but happy to be wrong

Its not really setting the bar that high tbh, he wins a belt and he is up there with anyone recent from AUS boxing. I think he can do a bit better than that certainly but it wont take much for him to be one of our better boxers from the last ten years.

WestyLife

First Grade
There's a few of his fights on Kayo. His opposition don't look particularly comfortable getting hit by him. Especially the body shots. He looks considered/deliberate rather than weak.

betcats

Referee
There's a few of his fights on Kayo. His opposition don't look particularly comfortable getting hit by him. Especially the body shots. He looks considered/deliberate rather than weak.

Yep he does damage and the style between olympic boxing and pro boxing is true, in olympic boxing every clean punch is a point, whoever lands the most wins. There is no weighting for power and damage, aggression etc like in pro boxing it is done 10-9 or 10-8 round by round and power, aggression, defence, controlling the ring are all factors. You can lend the most punches in a round of pro boxing but still lose the round.

franklin2323

Immortal

That is the best part of Kayo all the older stuff you can dig out.

It is just a shame the ESPN stuff is only up for a few days

betcats

Referee
Just saw the video of one of gallens corner guys abusing the ref for stopping the fight, the corner man admits they were never going to win the fight but he wanted it to go on anyway, wanted Gallen to keep getting punished. This attitude is disgusting, not knocking Gal here he is very brave and tough but fighters like that need to be protected from themselves people die or are disabled forever in the ring. A ref that lets the fight go on in that situation doesn’t belong in the sport the corner man should be ashamed.

WestyLife

First Grade
Just saw the video of one of gallens corner guys abusing the ref for stopping the fight, the corner man admits they were never going to win the fight but he wanted it to go on anyway, wanted Gallen to keep getting punished. This attitude is disgusting, not knocking Gal here he is very brave and tough but fighters like that need to be protected from themselves people die or are disabled forever in the ring. A ref that lets the fight go on in that situation doesn’t belong in the sport the corner man should be ashamed.

That's so stupid. Horn's trainer was similar. Should've stopped his fight Vs Tszyu and Horn ended up having to argue for stopping between rounds.

Some of you who have been around here since around the start of LU may remember Sandy who later became a mod in this forum. Just read she has passed away. RIP. :(
Oh no! I remember her. From memory she started the Girdler Fan Club in the old Panthers Interactive forum.

Very sad to hear ☹️