What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Anyway, the conclusion reached is that the dogs and Gus are being genuine bastards to the panthers.

We are yet to read one good argument other than “ she will be right mate” from the pro dog and friendly Gus camp.

I submit that’s not enough given what we’ve seen and are likely to see in the future if things are left to their own devices and Panther people are apathetic and lazy.

This is not a drill, the dogs are coming and I think it’s very dangerous. You’re going to miss a lot of these players. They are exceptional.

The well is not full and overflowing, your own chairman says that, r & r is a very complex and sophisticated operation.

It costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to develop a good junior. You shouldn’t just give them up without a fight.

Panther LU panelists can make their owns minds up, form your own view..

Last edited:

Murraymob1

Juniors
I
Quiet in the f**king ranks.

You snivel away on your knees crying and sobbing over poor fat bastard Gus while fans from other clubs are here, sacrificing their precious time on home forum…defending your honour.

I’m just glad @soc123_au isn’t around to see what’s become of his forum.

You folk who are happy to take it up the clacker from Gus, go and support the dogs you pikers.
Is Soc still locked in your boot

globalpanther

Juniors
Hey Jane Do you have a copy of the Penrith SG Ball and Harold Matthews 2023 preview in this weeks telegraph? If so can you post it?
SGBall

PENRITH PANTHERS​

Captain: TBA

Coach: Scott Thompson

Players to watch: NSWCHS schoolboys representative Moustafa Dirani is a lock who played in Penrith’s premiership winning squad last year. He’s one of a number of players on the edge of doing something special in the group. Bayden Moran will partner him in the back row and he’s another that has been going along well during the pre-season and is one of a few that has the potential to kick on in the future.

Surprise packet: “The good thing with our system is they’ve all done exceptionally well and officials are proud of the way they have approached things to date. It makes it hard to separate everyone.”

Why they will be competitive: “There’s quite a few backing up from last year with around eight players from last year’s title. That gives them a good, solid foundation of players that have been there and won it. There’s a good mix of second year players and the new crew coming in. They’ve done everything they needed to do, so we will see how it unfolds from there.”

Last season: Premiers

HMatts:

PENRITH PANTHERS​

Captain: TBA

Coach: Kyle Churchill

Players to watch: Fullback Jaxen Edgar and centre Casey McLean will both feature in their second year of Harold Matthews Cup football and were named joint winners of the Emerging Talent Award at the club. They’re described as two very professional young men who are ready to do the job as required.

Surprise packet: “The whole squad has done what has been required of them and it’s hard to say at this stage.”

Why they will be competitive: “They’ve been very well coached and they’ve been very professional for their age which makes a massive difference. It sets the tone for what they have to do for the rest of the season. There’s only a couple returning from last year, but the talent is there.”

Last season: 3rd (Eliminated Finals Wk 1)

Just been flat out at work.

I imagine Tyrone May is breathing easy again now that Gus has replaced him in TSP's sights. ha ha.
Even the club came around to my point of view and he was eventually rubbed out of the game by those courageous enough to support his victims and condemn violence against women.

Myself and other concerned citizens ( including Brandy, Luke Lewis, Brad Waugh and Panthers on the Prowl) were most definitely on the right side of history. As well as some of you sending me private messages of support here on LU through that dark and troubling era.

And so it will come to pass that the tolerance and appeasement of Gus and his desperate bulldogs ripping through your roster will prove to be a grave error of judgment.

I can’t believe so many of you (not all) think it’s all Ok, business as usual, nothing to see.

You’re in a circle singing kumbyah in front of a camp fire with a ukulele while Gus is methodically going through your tents, stuffing your hard earned into his raincoat.

R and R is going to turn around one day and exclaim “ cicada’s got my baby!”

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Leaving aside our club for a moment, it’s not hard to see how other clubs and their supporters must be aghast at the ongoing Bulldogs recruitment with no end in sight apparently. The latest to be linked to the Dogs being Dominic Young from the Knights. For example, what would say the Dragons fans be thinking about the Bulldogs recruitment in comparison to their own, which is negligible. I think there are a lot of disgruntled fans out there who would be disillusioned with what the Bulldogs are able to achieve.

Kilkenny

Coach
Anyway, the conclusion reached is that the dogs and Gus are being genuine bastards to the panthers.

We are yet to read one good argument other than “ she will be right mate” from the pro dog and friendly Gus camp.
if my memory serves me correctly Matt Burton left for the Dogs prior to Gus taking the reins.

Gus poached Kikau with a four year deal which we were either unwilling or unable to match at the time. I had hoped perhaps Kikau would have been more loyal to us but it was about the overall dollars and length of the deal. Can’t really argue and the Stephen Crichton deal is essentially based on the same premise.

We have lost other players, juniors, which is disappointing but understandable.

So really as it stands we are only really talking about Kikau and Crichton. Gus may well yet get Lenui but I remain optimistic he will stay. We’ll see.

Leaving aside our club for a moment, it’s not hard to see how other clubs and their supporters must be aghast at the ongoing Bulldogs recruitment with no end in sight apparently. The latest to be linked to the Dogs being Dominic Young from the Knights. For example, what would say the Dragons fans be thinking about the Bulldogs recruitment in comparison to their own, which is negligible. I think there are a lot of disgruntled fans out there who would be disillusioned with what the Bulldogs are able to achieve.
What I do think needs recognition of though is the hard work they have done to get their cap in a position that allows them the flexibility to do what they have done over the last few years. Those Dean Pay years were dire; not Dean’s fault as I thought he had what cattle he was able to afford playing above their station, but it was a tough few years. One of the reasons why I don’t begrudge them signing players now.

Re Gus’ ability to sign big players; he can obviously sell a vision. We see that on the TV. If he can get Moses though it would be his masterpiece and make the Dogs a scary side. They wouldn’t need middles with that pair of kicking options on left and right; just kick on the 3rd tackle ever set and pin the opposition in their own half…

Kilkenny

Coach
What I do think needs recognition of though is the hard work they have done to get their cap in a position that allows them the flexibility to do what they have done over the last few years. Those Dean Pay years were dire; not Dean’s fault as I thought he had what cattle he was able to afford playing above their station, but it was a tough few years. One of the reasons why I don’t begrudge them signing players now.

Re Gus’ ability to sign big players; he can obviously sell a vision. We see that on the TV. If he can get Moses though it would be his masterpiece and make the Dogs a scary side. They wouldn’t need middles with that pair of kicking options on left and right; just kick on the 3rd tackle ever set and pin the opposition in their own half…
Well the Mitchell Moses situation has now dragged on longer than Stephen Crichton so it seems.

You would have to think he almost certainly will remain with the Eels. Gus bringing in the Broncos kid, albeit apparently best suited to 5/8, on a 4 year deal surely sends out signals the Moses deal is dead in the water. If they had 1.2 or 1.3 set aside for Moses well part of that is gone now, so whatever they do have left must be for one of Dominic Young or Spencer Lenui.

if my memory serves me correctly Matt Burton left for the Dogs prior to Gus taking the reins.

Gus poached Kikau with a four year deal which we were either unwilling or unable to match at the time. I had hoped perhaps Kikau would have been more loyal to us but it was about the overall dollars and length of the deal. Can’t really argue and the Stephen Crichton deal is essentially based on the same premise.

We have lost other players, juniors, which is disappointing but understandable.

So really as it stands we are only really talking about Kikau and Crichton. Gus may well yet get Lenui but I remain optimistic he will stay. We’ll see.
You’re forgetting Ciraldo and we can’t be too sure of the other panthers who have been approached.

I think you know the background. Ivan and Gus aren’t close since he axed Ivan without a proper explanation. It was deeply humiliating. Made more so when Ivan amps up the Tigers performances, despite his horrendous recruitment touch.

The panic set in when we made a play for Nate when Ivan was coaching us and Gus was forced to compromise by the club.

He didn’t hang around too long after that and forgoes the chance to relish and bask in the smuggy success it is said he helped create.

On the outer at the Panthers, he settles in at the dogs and now hunts top flight panthers.

Getting critter to lie about his own plans sends the message out to the panthers that the deceit and subterfuge is now part of the dogs recruitment game plan.

I see your Burton point, but the scene is set for more meddling by Gus and he doesn’t deserve much sympathy.

Gus’s burning issue is his failure to acknowledge that his lack of belief in Ivan as a coach was a bad call.

Ivan is an astute coach and he’s done very well sans Gus. In fact, he’s done way better than that.

I think your threat is the Roosters this year, I was going through their roster last night. They have a formidable side on the up.

Last edited:

Latest posts