What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General NRL offseason news/rumours

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
He used to frustrate the hell out of me when at the Warriors, so hot and cold. Then Kata-Kearney Jnr arrived and I wished for the days of the Konnie.

Good luck to him in the UK.

I hope Konrad goes well, I have no reason to wish him anything but well. But I don't think he's going to automatically kill it like some people are saying. He didn't make it in the NRL because he was bloody lazy. Chuck him into a UK winter, with home sickness etc, and honestly I'd probably bet more on him being back home within 12 months - overweight and some desperate side down the foot of the ladder managing to pick him up cheap.

I hope Konrad goes well, I have no reason to wish him anything but well. But I don't think he's going to automatically kill it like some people are saying. He didn't make it in the NRL because he was bloody lazy. Chuck him into a UK winter, with home sickness etc, and honestly I'd probably bet more on him being back home within 12 months - overweight and some desperate side down the foot of the ladder managing to pick him up cheap.

Queensland cup possibly if ESL doesn't work out.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Confirmed news, Wayne Bennett is officially Souths coach for 2020 and 2021

I'd expect a coach swap for next season to happen in the next few days

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Maguire has signed a 3 year deal with the Tigers, will be announced once Cleary's release is finalised and after that Ivan will be officially announced with a 5 year deal at Penrith

Can't ever remember another coaching week like this one

Maguire has signed a 3 year deal with the Tigers, will be announced once Cleary's release is finalised and after that Ivan will be officially announced with a 5 year deal at Penrith

Can't ever remember another coaching week like this one
Where does that leave him for coaching the Kiwis?

Big Marn

Juniors
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12149035

wow. guess we need a new kiwi coach. Kearney resigned to coach Warriors so dont see why Maguire would be any different. Always going to happen though. Any coach that knows what they are doing are going to end up back in NRL sooner or later, and the win over the Aussies just sped up the process.
Even Kidwell is an assistant in the NRL though f**k knows how that happened.
2 steps forward 1 step backwards for the Kiwis.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Wayne Bennett saying he isn't interested in a swap before 2020 and wants to coach the Broncos next year, surely that situation is untenable and he is just positioning himself for some sort of payout

MKEB...

Staff member
My understanding is that he has clauses in his contracts that Maguire can coach both Kiwis and Tigers.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Don't see why Maguire can't do both. The Kiwis role isn't one that requires a fulltime 12 month a year coach. Just need some of the other people at the NZRL to get off their arses and provide the necessary support. Meninga gets kept busy with promotion and media for Australia so it can sort of be justified, not sure that's the case with us.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12149035

wow. guess we need a new kiwi coach. Kearney resigned to coach Warriors so dont see why Maguire would be any different. Always going to happen though. Any coach that knows what they are doing are going to end up back in NRL sooner or later, and the win over the Aussies just sped up the process.
Even Kidwell is an assistant in the NRL though f**k knows how that happened.
2 steps forward 1 step backwards for the Kiwis.

He isn't leaving the Kiwis. Nothing changes besides his pay packet for having 2 roles.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Cleary texts his Tigers team that he's leaving. Bit of a dickhead move from a guy that was saying he wasn't going to leave earlier in the year and is now returning to the club that dropped him as coach in 2015.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/27...lDsTUxLh6oxcDTTYxF3A1BGeIkbGIIuSza1T9aEDNeccw
Yeah he's come out of this whole situation looking awful. Which is unfortunate because he is really one of the good guys in the game. Not his greatest moment but if he turns around and wins a comp in the next 2 years all will be forgotten.

Miss the top 8 the next 2 years though.....might get "tired" again

Latest posts