What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Roosters chatter

Thanks for that going off what been said sounds like he has signed with us unsure of the deal though jack Stringer posted it up on social media the team was training with Rob Whittaker's at his gym

Robert Toia is a Roosters player as per below till 2025

It's official. Sam Walker signs a 2 year contract extension with the Sydney Roosters.

Any idea how much per season ? - $500k has been mentioned

ALX25

Bench
Toia did his ACL late August 2022 and won't be back until around July 2023.

Sitili and Billy Smith look like they are undertaking light training and both on course to be back around mid to late May.

Looks like Xavier Va'a has hurt his knee as well?

Angus is such a massive loss.

Jokes asides, he’s a good bloke and thoughts are with him.

I remember he had that form slump a couple of years ago, he was close to being finished yet he found a way. Wow! Very rare.

Your typical player faller is like Lichaa, just wriggle around getting worser until they become extinct.

You are not quite strong enough to beat the panthers in the gf without Angus this season.

Time will tell.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Angus is such a massive loss.

Jokes asides, he’s a good bloke and thoughts are with him.

I remember he had that form slump a couple of years ago, he was close to being finished yet he found a way. Wow! Very rare.

Your typical player faller is like Lichaa, just wriggle around getting worser until they become extinct.

You are not quite strong enough to beat the panthers in the gf without Angus this season.

Time will tell.
I am sure everyone agrees that Angus Chrichton's health and well-being is more important than any other consideration.

I hope he knows this and takes all the time necessary to get back in to a good space.

He also said Spencer Leniu who the Roosters signed for 2024 and the Va'a Brothers ( Delasalle and Xavier ) are related as their Mothers are first Cousins and the Grandfathers were Brothers

The 18th player for North Sydney vs Western Suburbs was a played called Martin Kennedy- Any one know if it is the ex Roosters/Broncos/Roosters player.

Someone on another site was saying he was released and was playing for a team in Evans Head - if it is him then it is a mystery in how he ended up as the 18th player for North Sydney

The 18th player for North Sydney vs Western Suburbs was a played called Martin Kennedy- Any one know if it is the ex Roosters/Broncos/Roosters player.

Someone on another site was saying he was released and was playing for a team in Evans Head - if it is him then it is a mystery in how he ended up as the 18th player for North Sydney

North Sydney do have players signed directly with them don't forget who are not part of the Roosters squad. Also the Roosters have its own side in the NSW Cup this season, and I believe will be ending its feeder club relationship with Norths at the end of this season.

Edit

Yes it looks like it is that Martin Kennedy. The date of birth is identical -

Published this afternoon by the Sydney Morning Herald (source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...inst-homophobia-in-sport-20230420-p5d22u.html) -

‘I can’t stand silent’: Why Trent Robinson is stepping up fight against homophobia in sport​

Dan Walsh

By Dan Walsh

April 22, 2023 — 5.39am

“It’s not about them coming out, it’s about them coming in.”

Trent Robinson doesn’t know if he’s coached gay players during a 10-year career as a three-time, title-winning Roosters coach, or in his formative years before that throughout the NRL and Super League. The statistics and law of averages say he has.

Because after Robinson’s own brief playing career, former teammates came out to him once they had stepped away from rugby league.

“When I found out that my former teammates were gay, I often thought back to, ‘What did I say to him that he didn’t feel comfortable to say that to me 10, 15 years ago?’,” Robinson says.

With Ian Roberts still the only openly gay male player in the code’s history, and few other examples in Australian men’s sport, Robinson is careful with his language.

“Because we can’t be waiting for someone from the LGBTQ+ community to walk into our locker room and change the environment,” he says.

“It doesn’t matter if I, or anyone else, has any gay players in their team. It’s about anyone walking into that environment and not having to change who they are. It should be inclusive, so they can walk in and say, ‘Yeah, this is a place for me’.”

In the largest international study of gay athletes and homophobia in sport, surveying more than 9000 gay and straight participants, the perception was overwhelming.

The study showed the athletes felt sport wasn’t welcoming for LGBTQ+ people. Seventy-three per cent of those surveyed under the age of 22 said youth team sport wasn’t safe for gay people.

Eighty per cent said they had witnessed or experienced homophobia in sport.

Almost 40 per cent of gay men and 18 per cent of lesbians polled said they had been bullied in a sporting context.
For all the visibility of “pride rounds” and Mardi Gras floats, simple, everyday language is the basis for what Pride in Sport’s Ben Cork describes as “authentic” buy-in.

Alongside Paralympics icon and leading coach Louise Sauvage, Robinson is the face of the new, free online training program Coach for All, a collaboration between Pride in Sport and Allianz Australia.

The four-part series targets language and behaviour in sport, from the grassroots to the elite echelons, and gives coaches tools and practical examples to challenge homophobia and manage difficult conversations.

Robinson has used the skills to navigate rugby league’s most divisive social issue – creating a more inclusive game, while the creed of some Christian players conflicts with the sexuality of sport’s most marginalised. “I have guys that would have different beliefs in that change room about what they think is accepted in the community that they come from,” Robinson says.

“And at the most basic level, the education is around just simple language – the jokes, the banter, ‘Hey, don’t say it that way or lazily use homophobic language in our environment’.

“It’s OK to have different beliefs but it’s how you express them and your behaviour, that’s what matters.

“Subtle, underlying language can stop us from being inclusive and eventually someone pulls away, they’re not in our sport, they don’t feel welcome.

“We had wider discussions about [an NRL Pride Round] within our team last year, and they were great conversations where [players] expressed their opinion, I expressed my opinion, and it was done in the right way.”

As Pride in Sport’s conduit in the educational interviews with Robinson and Sauvage, Cork strikes a chord when he tells Sauvage: “The sad reality is that even today, most LGBTQI people come into any situation either on guard or assuming they’re not welcome.”

Sauvage highlights the everyday influence a coach has when she says: “Your athletes listen to everything you say. And everything you don’t say. They listen to that, too.”

The Coach for All program offers everyday sporting examples – from how to handle a passing “that’s gay” remark from a 10-year-old, to arguments over transgender participation – and strategies for each situation.
Coaching, by definition, is about improving an athlete.

Asked why Roberts remains rugby league’s only openly gay player, Robinson points to the grassroots and coaching skills he hopes will eventually change that.

“It’s really simple. As a society, and as a snapshot of society in our sport, it has a stigma,” he says.

“It hasn’t been as inclusive as it should be. We’re working towards changes and we’re trying to make incremental improvements to that ... the difficult thing that I’ve found with Pride in Sport is I want to create an inclusive environment as a coach. But how do I do it? What tools do I have?

“That’s the point of the program, trying to improve sport as being inclusive and improving the way that we coach.”

Robinson’s development as a coach has seen him follow the lead of NBA coaches Steve Kerr and Gregg Popovich in recent years. Both have been outspoken about social issues, especially gun violence and racism.

To many, Robinson is increasingly viewed as rugby league’s moral compass. It grates with some. But Robinson makes no apologies for what he believes is a responsibility; to speak out when he feels passionately – be it on issues of race, homophobia, player welfare or progressing the women’s game.

“It’s always a hard thing because people are going to have different opinions to you,” he says. “And in the end, you’re here to just coach a sporting team. People don’t always like it when you have opinions outside of the sport ... But I can’t stand silent when I see something as important as equality and acceptance for everybody.

“I’ve got it right and wrong over the years but you go back to how you express your beliefs, and it’s really key to stand up for your beliefs and pass that ability on to your players, too.

“It can sometimes feel uncomfortable to pop your head up outside, but you have to. You can’t stand silent.”

The Coach for All program is free and available for download here.

Published by the Sydney Morning Herald (source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...aves-wants-one-more-year-20230506-p5d68p.html) -

‘The Roosters is all I know’: Why Waerea-Hargreaves wants one more year​

Christian Nicolussi

By Christian Nicolussi

May 6, 2023 — 3.00pm

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves has broken his silence about his future, declaring he wants to play on in the NRL – but only at the Sydney Roosters.

Waerea-Hargreaves, 34, will play his 286th game on Sunday against North Queensland, and made it known to club officials during the summer he wanted to continue next year.

Waerea-Hargreaves was linked to a move to Super League club Catalans Dragons, where former Roosters assistant Steve McNamara is coach, and former teammates Mitchell Pearce, Sio Siua Taukeiaho, Adam Keighran and Matt Ikuvalu all play.
But with three young children, Waerea-Haregreaves says he has no interest in heading abroad.

Even in his 15th season in the NRL, he remains one of the most frightening enforcers in the game.

“That’s because I’m an ugly bugger – I’m a scary-looking dude,” Waerea-Hargreaves quipped before training in front of about 1000 fans at Brisbane’s Langlands Park on Saturday.

“I’ve been doing it a long time. I enjoy my role. I know what my role is in the team and at the club; I stay in my lane, and you get good at what you are good at.

“You don’t try and fake it or be someone you’re not. I can see myself playing on next year.

“It’s about staying mentally fresh, and hopefully the performances take care of [the future].

“I’ve been here 14 seasons now. It’s a club I really love and I’m passionate about, and hopefully I can continue to enjoy my footy.”

Waerea-Hargreaves was aware of the interest from Catalans, with the club still keeping a spot open on its books as late as last month in case the Chooks’ cult hero had a change of heart.

“I’ve got a really good relationship with Steve ‘Mac’ from when he was at the Chooks, and the south of France entices everyone at the back end of their career,” Waerea-Hargreaves said.

“But I have three young kids, they’re all in primary school, we have a lot of support with our family. As nice as the south of France sounds, it’s a big ask to go over there.

“The Roosters is all I know, it’s what I’m passionate about and I could definitely see myself going again, for sure.”
The Roosters already have Lindsay Collins up front and Penrith wrecking ball Spencer Leniu on the way next year, while a call will need to be made on off-contract prop Matt Lodge.

Waerea-Hargreaves said he had occasionally thought about retirement in recent years.

He recalled a conversation with Balmain legend Steve Roach a decade ago about how front-rowers produce their best football after 150 first-grade games. Should he stay fit, Waerea-Hargreaves will double that number before the season is over, and is shortening odds to break Mitch Aubusson’s club record of 306 games.

“It’s the last thing on my mind – winning a comp is the priority,” Waerea-Hargreaves said about reaching the 300 club. “[But] it would be nice to look back and say you reached a special number like that.

“Going into the pre-season I just had, I wanted to give myself the best opportunity, whether it was finishing up this year or playing another year, you just want to finish on your terms.

“I’ll let my footy do the talking for now, and enjoy what I’m doing. I’ll make a decision over the next couple of weeks.

“I’m sore, but I’ve been sore for 10 years. It’s part and parcel of what we do. I love it. I f---ing love it.”