What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Generation next is key to the Dragons' revival

Crush

Coach
why do you think he wont be ready? based off what? george dragons news came last year, its been a month now. stop being so negative and wait until at least trials to judge him properly.
Based on the fact that hes lazy, always has been lazy, has been let go by 3 clubs before us despite his obvious talent.
Im basing my negativity on history, you are basing your positivity on pure hope.

Stop being so positive and wait until at least the trials to judge him properly.

Kolum Kid

Juniors
Hard to see Hook not using experience ahead of rookies in round 1. After all he stuck with Norman for as long as he could, and he bought a bunch of old but experienced forwards to the side in the off season. Still, let's give the man a chance and see how he manages the side.
I tend to disagree. Hook is a smart cookie. He used last year as a testing year. He was probably forced to play Norman as he would have been one of the highest paid players. This year should be different. He has bought forward experience and he has seen the potential of the next gen backs. His continued contract would be conditional on continual success. With the blend on youth and experience I am looking forward to the season. If anyone doesn't deliver I would hope there would be change.

denis preston

First Grade
Did my comment trigger you Denis?
How are you feeling about the Suli signing? Are you confident our club will be the first and only to get the best out of him? Or will he be a waste of cap space like he has been at all previous clubs? Interested to hear your thoughts.
I just hope some on here are not getting fixated by the guy. Sure, come mid season and he finds himself in ressies then judge him then but at least for now give the guy a chance. Everybody is different and Suli maybe more different than others but sides need these type of characters rather than trotting out 17 robots every week. The guy is also getting to an age where he should be maturing and understand the opportunity that he has now will set him up for life. Sometimes we can target a player and refuse to see any positives out of their game and perhaps i have been guilty of that with the likes of Lawrie & Norman but lets just judge the bloke on what he does on the field , which he hasn't been able to do for us yet !

Gareth67

First Grade
The shame is that the enormous salaries of players nowadays is par for course and that in some cases takes away the need to put in 100% effort in each game that is played . As whether they are in 1st or reggies they will still receive the amount on their contracts .

Going back a few decades the well payed players always played to their best in each and every match - they had pride in themselves , something which imo is sadly lacking today .

These blokes are adults , they were smart enough to realize where to sign on the dotted line of the contract , that being the case they should therefore realize that the club is paying them to perform , week in week out - no excuses .

randomdragon

Juniors
Based on the fact that hes lazy, always has been lazy, has been let go by 3 clubs before us despite his obvious talent.
Im basing my negativity on history, you are basing your positivity on pure hope.

Stop being so positive and wait until at least the trials to judge him properly.
You’re wrong. I never stated my view on suli. Yo I assumed I’m positive about him. I’m not saying to be positive I’m saying to not be negative. He deserves a chance like everyone and you’re not giving him one. People saying you can judge his interest from a photo is so cringe.

Dragon David

First Grade
The shame is that the enormous salaries of players nowadays is par for course and that in some cases takes away the need to put in 100% effort in each game that is played . As whether they are in 1st or reggies they will still receive the amount on their contracts .

Going back a few decades the well payed players always played to their best in each and every match - they had pride in themselves , something which imo is sadly lacking today .

These blokes are adults , they were smart enough to realize where to sign on the dotted line of the contract , that being the case they should therefore realize that the club is paying them to perform , week in week out - no excuses .
The effect of a player who has signed for big dollars with a club in my opinion is that other guys in that club who are not getting paid anywhere near those big dollars would have the attitude of "why should i put my body on the line when this guy is getting the big bucks?" and if that big dollar guy isn't putting in, the side generally doesn't perform to the best of its ability.

Every club would have a marquee player, some with a couple or more. They are paid the higher rate due to their "match winning" capabilities. They know it and if they are genuine footy players they would perform nearly every game.

If Suli is being paid big bucks, he should be told that he has to perform every game, but the problem is if you drop him to reggies as you say Gareth, they will still get the same money and perhaps play even worse.

Suli needs to be inspired somehow to maintain focus and have a determined will to win.

Gareth67

First Grade
The effect of a player who has signed for big dollars with a club in my opinion is that other guys in that club who are not getting paid anywhere near those big dollars would have the attitude of "why should i put my body on the line when this guy is getting the big bucks?" and if that big dollar guy isn't putting in, the side generally doesn't perform to the best of its ability.

Every club would have a marquee player, some with a couple or more. They are paid the higher rate due to their "match winning" capabilities. They know it and if they are genuine footy players they would perform nearly every game.

If Suli is being paid big bucks, he should be told that he has to perform every game, but the problem is if you drop him to reggies as you say Gareth, they will still get the same money and perhaps play even worse.

Suli needs to be inspired somehow to maintain focus and have a determined will to win.
Yes that’s about the size of it Dave . Yet there are coaches out there who manage to get the maximum potential of every player in his team .

Some unfortunately are unable to the same , whatever the case may be here at the Dragons , our man Mr. Griffin should be laying the law down from the very first training session as to just what he and the club expects and that is to have his charges come out with all guns blazing so as to get into the final 8 in season 2022 .

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A couple of points to make here.

1. We don't know if Suli has improved after the Christmas break, for all we know he may be up to speed with everything now.
2. Just because a player is on big bucks doesn't mean we have to play him.
3. I think by reading some comments that he is our only left-center option, he isn't
4. There is no doubt he carries baggage with him which tends to skew some opinions.

I am all for giving him the benefit of the doubt until the trials. If Suli isnt the man for the job it will show up then.

Hills Dragon

Juniors
Interesting article, however, I don't get this fascination with our backs which has been discussed since the end of last season.
Like everyone else in the squad, reputation or hype mean little if they cant reproduce it on game day.
Will Sloan be fullback? Most probably but needs to be upgradef from his DS contract first.
Amone at 6? Again most probably
Ramsey or 1 of the Feagais for a wing spot? Again most probably.

Now for realities;
Bud is a 7, and needs game time, he's hardly played in the last 2 years. Playing him at 14 in 1st grade would not benefit him. He'll start the season in KOE Cup.
1 or both of the Feagais will start in KOE Cup.
Ramsey has to show his development in both skill and physique in the trials to be considered for a wing spot.
Underestimate Moga at your own peril. Fully fit he his an absolute weapon.
Overestimate Suli, again, at your own peril. He hasn't impressed at training.

So, why not look at our generation next in the forwards? No-one seems to interested in those youngsters.
Will Hook play them from round 1?
So Suli hasn‘t trained well?

Gareth67

First Grade
So Suli hasn‘t trained well?
I believe that it is a hair problem - it’s too bluudy long . Now whether the bloke uses those long locks of his as a fly squatter I don’t know , but what I do know is he should get it cut .

Speaking of which you could use one yourself Wayne . 😳

Rod Coil

Juniors
Lucky we haven't still got Mary as coach, we would have Aitken ahead of Lomax starting R1, because he trained well in the off season & deserves his spot!!!!!!!!!
Don't forget the Lafai contract extension after impressing McFlop. at the pre-season boot camp......if only it was a very bad dream, but alas it really did happen, for 7 years...

slippery5

Juniors
Don't forget the Lafai contract extension after impressing McFlop. at the pre-season boot camp......if only it was a very bad dream, but alas it really did happen, for 7 years...
I actually remembered after I posted. It was Lafai who was dropped at end of season but had a blinder in the off season, not Aitken.

Latest posts