What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geoff Toovey's standing in the game?

DeeGan

Bench
Geoff Toovey's standing in the game?

If Andrew Johns is the best halfback since rugby league was born, where does that place Geoff Toovey in the scheme of things?

No, this is not an anti-NSW/anti-Johns rant, I have no problem with Johns' place in the team (just pipping Allan Langer), though Toovey was selected at halfback for NSW and Australia (correct me if I am wrong) and Johns was forced to play out of position on occasion.

Ray Chesterton wanted to question the selection of Lewis (came off the bench late in Test career) and Meninga (moved in to the second row in 86 as opposed to centre) ahead of NSW greats of the past yets skimmed over this fact.

Tooves didn't make the Top 100 list from memory either.

Where does Toovey stand in the game if he can keep out arguably the greatest player of them all from his favoured position?

Canard

Immortal
Wasn't Kimmorley the player that played halfback for NSW when Johns played hooker?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Upon seeing the thread title I immediately equated it to the amount of time Toovey spends on the field, years after his retirement :lol:

DeeGan

Bench
Wasn't Kimmorley the player that played halfback for NSW when Johns played hooker?

No, 96 and 97 saw Toovey (for the majority) play half and Johns hooker at Origin level.

I am sure this was replicated for Australia.

Dazzat

First Grade
I'd put Hasler in front of Toovey, with about another three dozen halfbacks in front of them.

Toovey's standing in the game. Mostly next to Manly players, chewing their ears off during a game.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Lewis didn't come off the bench late in his career, he was captain from 1984-89, was injured in 1990 and would have taken away the Kangaroos if he wasn't. Got his jumper back in 1st Test loss to Kiwis in 1991 was dropped and that was the end.

He did however come off the bench on the 1982 Roo tour v GB as Stanton preferred the Parra scrumbase trio of Kenny (no loss there), Sterling and Price. He did force his way back in the starting line-up against the French before dislocating his shoulder. He was also vice captain of the 82 Roos.

Firstly, the reason Johns often played hooker was because he was so brilliant he could be just as effective in that role plus he was a great defender and it also allowed them to pick another halfback. Remember in the '90s they seemed to like putting as many playmakers in as possible, thus you'd often see Fittler at lock and Johns at hooker with the likes of Matt Johns, Toovey, Kimmorley etc in the halves.

and

Secondly, don't read what Chesterton writes, it's rubbish.

Canard

Immortal
No, 96 and 97 saw Toovey (for the majority) play half and Johns hooker at Origin level.

I am sure this was replicated for Australia.

97 is a total anomaly though, because of the "war" the ARL only played some amatuer Fiji team as far as I recall. (Happy to be corrected)

Tom Ace

Bench
Firstly, the reason Johns often played hooker was because he was so brilliant he could be just as effective in that role plus he was a great defender and it also allowed them to pick another halfback. Remember in the '90s they seemed to like putting as many playmakers in as possible, thus you'd often see Fittler at lock and Johns at hooker with the likes of Matt Johns, Toovey, Kimmorley etc in the halves.

and

Secondly, don't read what Chesterton writes, it's rubbish.

Exactly...He wasn't "forced" out, he played hooker because he could play it just as effectively as halfback and because it allowed for yet another playmaker in the #7

DeeGan

Bench
Lewis didn't come off the bench late in his career, he was captain from 1984-89, was injured in 1990 and would have taken away the Kangaroos if he wasn't. Got his jumper back in 1st Test loss to Kiwis in 1991 was dropped and that was the end.

He did however come off the bench on the 1982 Roo tour v GB as Stanton preferred the Parra scrumbase trio of Kenny (no loss there), Sterling and Price. He did force his way back in the starting line-up against the French before dislocating his shoulder. He was also vice captain of the 82 Roos.

Quite correct.

Cheers,

DeeGan

Bench
97 is a total anomaly though, because of the "war" the ARL only played some amatuer Fiji team as far as I recall. (Happy to be corrected)

Listed as NZ from what I read.

In any event, Toovey was NSW's halfback, Johns was hooker.

The only Test in '97 was v Rest of the World at Lang Park and Australia won 28-8. Fittler was 5-8 at captain, Toovey was half and Johns hooker. It was in '96 that the only Tests were against Fiji and PNG.

tiger_nick

Bench

Correct, thats how they were named. However every time this happened Toovey would actually play hooker and Johns first receiver. Watch any game where they were named that way and I promise you thats what you will see.

The only time Johns played hooker when he was named there was when Kimmorley was named at half. This was when Johns was coming back from injury and Chris Anderson was coach.

Hanscholo

Bench

No when Kimmorley played Johns didnt at all, thats why Kimmorley played. When Andrew first began his rep career he played hooker for NSW and Australia and Toovey half back. Toovey was a great player, and deserved to be in that last imo.

ANd the poster above is correct. Johns and Toovey both played first receiver and dummy half, it worked very well from memory.

Hass

Juniors
Actually, I'm pretty sure the 2000 ANZAC Test saw Kimmorley at half and Johns at hooker.

Kimmorley was the incumbent at the time having filled in for Johns during the 1999 Tri-Series. It's also worth remembering that Kimmorley was at his peak, having guided Melbourne to the 1999 premiership.

He was also the half-back for Origin that year. Johns was returning from injury and ended up coming off the bench.

I also remember Johns playing hooker and five-eighth when Langer was captain at the end of 1998.

It's a testament to Johns' ability that he was able to play so well out of position. But I think it's clear that Johns was at his best when given the opportunity to play halfback for an entire match.

Cheers.