What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News George Burgess charged

gordsy

Juniors
Can't see the nrl letting hmi play till the court case is over, given that will take months, i reckon it's bye bye nrl career for Georgie boy. Given the hip issues I don't see him doing well over in Super League either.
Would appear his career is over.

Last edited:

snickers007

Juniors
So the No Fault Stand Down Policy only applies to criminal charges which carry a maximum sentence of 11 years.

According to the Crimes Act, the maximum penalty for Sexual Touching is 5 years (7 years for Aggravated Sexual Touching).

Not sure what there is to investigate from the NRL. They can't stand him down under this policy.

They can probably fine and suspend him for bringing the game into disrepute - but given it's an ongoing criminal investigation I doubt they'll get too much info out of Burgess.

Unless we're about to see more policy on the run?

Iamback

Coach
So the No Fault Stand Down Policy only applies to criminal charges which carry a maximum sentence of 11 years.

According to the Crimes Act, the maximum penalty for Sexual Touching is 5 years (7 years for Aggravated Sexual Touching).

Not sure what there is to investigate from the NRL. They can't stand him down under this policy.

They can probably fine and suspend him for bringing the game into disrepute - but given it's an ongoing criminal investigation I doubt they'll get too much info out of Burgess.

The issue with the NRL is they love to look like they are doing something without actually doing anything.

Either they stand everyone accused of something down or they wait until court plays out.

This Year?

Immortal

IIRC they have discretion when it is violence against women or children. Does sexual touching count as violence?

"This is not about being popular, this is about sending a clear message the game does not tolerate violence, against women or children. Our job is to rebuild the reputation and protect the game. That reputation has been damaged by recent events. This is about a standard that's expected."

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
IIRC they have discretion when it is violence against women or children. Does sexual touching count as violence?
Since it’s a renaming of sexual assault, I’d guess it would count.

I’m sure they have discretion in this too. Didn’t they stand down Dylan Walker?

This Year?

Immortal
Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade

They can if they want. It seems they don't want to.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wow, thats a big back flip from the NRL on previous decisions. De Belin playing on their mind maybe?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can’t imagine it’s that simple. Very different allegations.
There's no consistency (lol) it would seem, Sivo allowed to keep playing whilst charged, May stood down for a year, , Burgess ok to keep playing, Kamikamica stood down, Reynolds free to play, Walker stood down and so it goes on.

Latest posts