What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

George Carmont

Skinner

Coach
Come on you Otahuhu folks, back me up here.....is George a bloody
beaut player....or what. You really have to wonder about the Warriors
and their guy's who have the say on on who stays in the squad and who
does not.

Skinner

Auckland4ever

Juniors
The tackle on Faafili that drove him into the in-goal was all class. Those are the sort of plays that can turn momentum in a game.

chinorocks

Juniors
His plays in the knights in goal area late in the second half we're very safe and very classy. his whole game was great tonight, he ran well from dummy half, defended solidly and scored a well deserved try. i know you guys have some class wingers but surely you could have found a spot for him somewhere???

ozbash

Referee
he said in a pre match interview that he thought his age went against him at the warriors.

he had a great game, i would like to see him at center for the kiwis week after next.

that tackle on henry was a beaut, henry actually did well to hang onto the ball.

Iafeta

Referee
He's played 4 first grade games or something. Not test grade yet. Meli and Utai will be truckloads ahead of him and rightfully so.

Looks a likely customer, I've got to ask who is in charge of Warriors talent identification. Sonny Bill, Hutch Maivaia, Carmont, Joe Gulavao ... boys give yourself a quadruple.

Rudolph

Juniors
He's played 4 first grade games or something. Not test grade yet. Meli and Utai will be truckloads ahead of him and rightfully so.

Looks a likely customer, I've got to ask who is in charge of Warriors talent identification. Sonny Bill, Hutch Maivaia, Carmont, Joe Gulavao ... boys give yourself a quadruple.

I forgot about Utai but i think Carmont is well ahead of Meli. Meli is made to look good Carmont is good. If Sonny Bill and Hutch Maivaia are in contention Carmont should be as well.

Rudolph

Juniors
Quote:

I forgot about Utai but i think Carmont is well ahead of Meli. Meli is made to look good Carmont is good. If Sonny Bill and Hutch Maivaia are in contention Carmont should be as well.

I read that wrong sorry.

roopy

Referee
Carmont failed to gain a spot at the Warriors because he didn't put in the effort in the important years. Something to do with a mate drowning while trying to net some fish which made him lose interest in football.
He got his act together by joining his elder brother playing for Raymond Terrace in the Newcastle comp - the shift from New Zealand and focusing on football at a club where his brother was captain helped him a lot.
He also trained his guts out with the Knights and by himself when it became apparent he had a chance to make the grade. He says watching Adam McDougall go through a weights session made him realise how much work he had to do.

In conclusion - he wasn't a patch on the footballer he is now when still in NZ - the geographical cure and a bit of luck and hard work has turned his life right around.

Like most kiwis - he would grow a foot taller if you put a black jersey on him - but he still needs to get the rookie mistakes out of his game before he plays for NZ. It is interesting to see that he and Tahu have formed a strong friendship both on and off the field.

Skinner

Coach
Thanks for that update Roopy. I vaguely remember something about
a fishing tragedy and George just seemed to disappear after that. I am
really happy he has made it into 1st Grade. I have very fond memories
of him carving up opposition sides when he was at the Otahuhu Club.

He will be an asset to your club.

Cheers
Skinner

playdaball

Bench
The fishing accident was ex Warriors reserve grade player and Mangere East player, Tai Savea. He was playing for Balmian at the time but came back to NZ from preseason training. If memory serves me right it was at Piha where he drowned fishing whilst on a Church picnic trip.

dazza

Staff member
george also played reserve grade for canberra 2 years ago. some part of his deal to play there fell thru, so he came back to otahuhu for a bit , & then moved to newcastle.

the rest as they say is history.

cheers dazza

Latest posts