What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germ in real strife

woodgers

Bench
Cronulla prop Jason Stevens, Canberra hooker Simon Woolford and Sydney Roosters backrower Michael Crocker have been charged with dangerous throws. Even with an early guilty plea, Raiders skipper Woolford will miss six matches for his grade two offence.

6 matches for that? What a complete joke this points system is. So a good driving tackle receives the same suspension as an eye gouge?

Timbo

Staff member
A thread in the NRL forum seems to indicate that Woolford is looking at 8 weeks.

Oh well, at least Toddy should get an extended run now.

legend

Coach
Is that his third suspension this year? A very poor record is starting to work against him and the club have little choice but to defend the charge.

I'd like to see Carney back at half and Withers into hooker but I seriously doubt that will happen. I think Tongue will move to hooker if fit and Withers to remain at half.

And, I'm starting to think we aren't losing much at all having Tongue in at hooker over Woolford.

Raider Azz

Bench
Woolford's tackle would have been appaluaded a few years ago. Now it gets you charged for 6-8 weeks. What crap.

raidersfan

Juniors
Timbo said:
Oh well, at least Toddy should get an extended run now.

There is no way Carney will see first grade again this season unless there is a injury to either Tongue or Withers. Tongue will be our hooker for those weeks with Gafa on the bench.

Timbo

Staff member
Elliot cannot possibly be that stupid.

He's had some doozeys but I credit him with more intelligence than that.

Timbo

Staff member
I wouldn't care if he'd played a million in a row, he MUST be axed after the horrific effort last weekend.

Raider_Azz said:
Woolford's tackle would have been appaluaded a few years ago. Now it gets you charged for 6-8 weeks. What crap.

Would have been applauded?? You're kidding!!! He lifts a bloke up, gets him almost vertical and drives him down! You sir, are a clown if you think that sort of tackle has a place in the game. If he wasn't such a grub with repeat offences at the judiciary it wouldn't have been anywhere near that bad a result (which would have been fine by me), but the points system is to stop repeat illegal plays!!

legend

Coach
steaming stormer said:
Would have been applauded?? You're kidding!!! He lifts a bloke up, gets him almost vertical and drives him down! You sir, are a clown if you think that sort of tackle has a place in the game. If he wasn't such a grub with repeat offences at the judiciary it wouldn't have been anywhere near that bad a result (which would have been fine by me), but the points system is to stop repeat illegal plays!!

Didn't stop Germ.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Billy Slater actually contributed to teh direction of the tackle by trying to twist out of it. Germ has a case for aquitment. Don't let your bias cloud your judgement.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Look at the video, Slater changed directions just before Woolford caught him. Therefore, he must have slowed down a little bit making the tackle seem worse than it really should have been.

Fair point Benmeyer, but I would say the same thing to some of the posters in here. It may not have intentionally begun as a spear, but it certainly ended as one, and for a repeat offender, justice will be served!!

Raider Azz

Bench
steaming stormer said:
You idiot. The only reason the tackle went above the horizontal was because Slater twisted to avoid landing on his back. The fact is that if someone is tackled below the waist the centre of gravity changes and a player will always topple over the horizontal. Not once in the tackle does Germ does place his hands between the legs of Slater. How you can call that an illegal tackle I will never know. You are the clown. In fact, even Billy Slater himself said he hopes Germ is not suspended.

Germ wraps his arms around him, lifts and drives. That is how players are taught to tackle. What more could his coach expect from him.

There was a good article in RLW last week where Gilmeister was spoken to about the number of tackles going this way. He stands too early and that is what gets the player over the horizontal

shadow grinder

First Grade
benmeyer said:
Billy Slater actually contributed to teh direction of the tackle by trying to twist out of it. Germ has a case for aquitment. Don't let your bias cloud your judgement.

yeah god forbid a player tries to twist out of a tackle to ensure his safety.

shadow grinder

First Grade
same thing happen to dallas johnson this year...he was charged and suspended for a great tackle....that the judciary saw as dangerous.

Raider Azz

Bench
shadow grinder said:
Brett Finch got a similar tackle downgraded last year using that exact argument.

Roy Rover

Juniors
woodgers said:
Cronulla prop Jason Stevens, Canberra hooker Simon Woolford and Sydney Roosters backrower Michael Crocker have been charged with dangerous throws.

If there was ever a case of round up the usual suspects!?!

Raider_69

Post Whore
shadow grinder said:

he didnt twist to ensure his safety you dimwit, he twisted as he wanted to go to ground because germ was driving him backward, by twisting and trying to get to the deck before he was taken back any further he himself shifted the momentum in the tackle and gravity did the rest. No one was at fault, its one of those things that happen in league and always will

Latest posts