What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GF 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
GO THE CHOOKS!!!

A lot to get through here. Hopefully i remember it all.

Does anyone think robbo will get some resepect now? He scored a knock out victory against bellamy.

What a performance! I personally think the 2000-2004 and 2013-2015 teams were all round better squads but this was by far our best performance in a grand final in my life time (born in 86). Melbourne didn't know what hit them and they score 0 if not for that intercept.

Every player put in and performed their role well and that first 40 was as close to a perfect performance as you can get.

Keary was immense and a deserved CCM winner but i thought we were strong across the park. What cronk did was truly special organising and calming the side.

Chambers must be chance of PTSD after being destroyed by latrell again.

Manu, what a player.

Engine room was phenomenal as well and friend was also very good not over playing his hand.

3 keary
2 latrell
1 cords

Could have given points to anyone but had to choose 3.

What a night. Let's do it again next year.

3 points: Luke Keary. Other than the intercept to Addo-Carr, was sublime last night.

2 points: Boyd Cordner. Ran with gusto and lead from the front. 15 runs for 138 metres, was the most metres gained by any forward on both teams, and 20 quality tackles to boot.

1 point: Latrell Mitchell. Owned Will Chambers last night, and in fact has pushed Chambers out of the Australian side for the upcoming tests. Congrats Latrell on getting selected to play for Australia.

On a side note, Blake Ferguson played the last 30 minutes of the game with a broken fibula, and Zane Tetevano ruptured his bicep muscle in the second half. Source: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/01/blake-ferguson-played-grand-final-with-broken-fibula/

Last edited:
It really was a classic Melbourne Cup run this year wasn't it? Saving their best form for the very last game. Robbo told us all along to be patient and the results would come. I wondered this week if Cronk could serve as an on field trainer if he couldn't play. Well he did that but with a jersey on. Really proud how the boys covered for him and a masterclass in coaching and deception from Robbo. What a tight group of players we have.

Special shout outs to Latrell, Manu and Radley who announced themselves this year as regular big game, rep level players. Fergo, although we saw signs late last year has given his season long, career-best, form. And playing with a busted leg too! Our much maligned forwards destroyed three of the fiercest packs at the business end of the season. The ever reliable Maubs, I hope there's a role within the club for him when he retires. Cronk for his Sonny Bill-like professional influence. Teddy, after an indifferent start, brushed aside the pressure to produce the form that was expected of him. What a passing game he's developed! Friendy and Toops channeling their 2013 form. Luke Keary, surely representative football beckons? In Easts we trust. Let's go back to back!

3. Keary
2. Trell
1. Cords

Cronk played with a busted shoulder (legend). Ferguson broke the fibula in his left leg and played the last 30 minutes of the game with it - didn't realise it was broken till after the match. Zane Tetevano ruptured his bicep in the second half. James Tedesco had a knee injury which kept him from training until the Friday of Grand Final Week. Wow.

Also, nice touch by Trent Robinson. He has given his Premiership Ring to Lindsay Collins after the work Collins did filling the breach during the Finals series whilst Napa was out suspended - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ro...ng-away-premiership-ring-20181001-p5074o.html

H.H

Juniors
Well, what a night. To be out there was something else. Great turnout from Rooster fans and the atmosphere was incredible. As a stand alone GF, that's our best in my time that I can remember (1980 on)...although as an overall season, tough to beat 2013.

How can you give points after that? Every single player was outstanding. Anyway, here goes:

3 - Keary. Enough said. Simply outstanding
2. Aubs. Very close to getting the Churchill for mine and was incredible throughout the finals.
1. Friend. Incredible defensive performance and his all round game was back to 2013/14 levels or close to it.

Very tough to leave out JWH for the early platform he created, Cordner for his tireless work and leadership, Manu for the performance of his career and some incredibly important defensive plays, Teddy for his dangerous running all night and last pass for two tries, Mitchell for owing another player like I've rarely seen, Toupo/Fergs rock solid all night...

Cronk...I have no words.

I've watched the replay twice already and I reckon I have another 10 in me over summer. ..can't wait.

PREMIERS BOYS - YIEWWWWWW!!!!! HOW GOOD!!!!

isaiah

Bench
Well, what a night. To be out there was something else. Great turnout from Rooster fans and the atmosphere was incredible. As a stand alone GF, that's our best in my time that I can remember (1980 on)...although as an overall season, tough to beat 2013.

How can you give points after that? Every single player was outstanding. Anyway, here goes:

3 - Keary. Enough said. Simply outstanding
2. Aubs. Very close to getting the Churchill for mine and was incredible throughout the finals.
1. Friend. Incredible defensive performance and his all round game was back to 2013/14 levels or close to it.

Very tough to leave out JWH for the early platform he created, Cordner for his tireless work and leadership, Manu for the performance of his career and some incredibly important defensive plays, Teddy for his dangerous running all night and last pass for two tries, Mitchell for owing another player like I've rarely seen, Toupo/Fergs rock solid all night...

Cronk...I have no words.

I've watched the replay twice already and I reckon I have another 10 in me over summer. ..can't wait.

PREMIERS BOYS - YIEWWWWWW!!!!! HOW GOOD!!!!
Owing another player?

H.H

Juniors
Whoops typo in all my excitement. Meant owning as in Lattrell owns chambers completely.

Valheru

Coach
Any other votes for this wonderful game guys?

I want to finalise the premiership winning 2018 tally soon.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Ok so here's my belated run down...

3. Keary. The way he took charge of this team was amazing. The pass for the first try was awesome.

His kicking game, aided wonderfully by our monster backs and forwards who saw Keary kicking inside the Storm's 40m constantly, was still pinpoint accurate. I had a good vantage point behind the posts of Slater trying in vein to get his foot back in goal when receiving high kicks but they were so accurate that he was a metre short every time. 1m deeper and it's a 7 tackle set and maybe a different game. The margins can be that small. So full credit to Keary for his precision.

His defence was also outstanding; including forcing an error from Kaufusi.

And finally we must mention his ability to regain his composure and kick the winning field goal after the disappointment of the intercept.

It really was a complete performance. As Robbo said he won the CCM on Monday a week before the game. And it was this kind of attitude that drove the team forward from kick off.

2. Friend. He outplayed Cameron Smith and was in everything.

Even his kicking game was ****ing unreal - finding grass and getting a repeat set.

His service was great. He also went blindside for Manu's try. He ran from DH well.

There was the 50m run which led to the Munster sin binning that broke the Storm's back.

And then in the 2nd half he bundled Addo Carr into touch with a huge hit to halt a comeback. And not long after that he sat one of their forwards on his ass on our line. Brilliant D.

Another IMMENSE complete performance. His best ever in a Roosters jersey.

1. Aubo. What a warrior. And a Roosters legend. His defensive performance in covering not only his own turf but also Cronk's left shoulder was amazing. Smith, Slater and Munster force you to make so many defensive decisions and Aubo just nailed every one; even with the added defensive responsibility.

He also ran hard in attack and got a lovely quick play the ball after a second effort tackle break past Stimson which led to Manu's try. That sort of play signifies the "one per centers" that this team is all about.

Fight harder to break a tackle for an extra metre. Fight hard again for a quick play the ball. Boom, try. All because of those two extra efforts.

Of course the whole team deserve points. I always felt that our back 5 would be too big, too strong for Melbourne. One of those Gus like "big backs win Origins" type scenarios . Latrell and Manu just manhandled their opposites - with Latrell brushing off Chamberpot for an easy try and then rag dolling him into touch. And then Manu hammered Scott which forced an error too.

These guys are the two best centres in the game and must be priority long term retentions as they give us such an edge. They both ooze confidence. Latrell has literally destroyed Chamberpot's world this season.

Toops and Fergo ran hard all night also and were error free! Amazing. They could scarcely have played better and again just looked bigger and stronger than their opposites.

And then there's Teddy who had the complete game again - missing only a trademark break up the middle. He's set up a try with quick hands to his 3/4s in each finals game. Also did he make a single error in the finals? Faultless. His defence was also outsanding as usual - the media really do underappreciate this vital aspect of a great FBs game. I especially loved how he came in to assist Aubo and Cronk in hammering big NAS over the top on our line.

And now for the forwards; I find it funny how the media's flat out myth of our supposed weakness goes on to KO the Sharks, Souffs and Storm packs back to back to back in the finals. And how about talk of our weak bench? Napa, Tets, Liu, Matto - that's easily the best bench in the comp you muppets.

Their performance didn't surprise me in the least. JWH did what he always does, which is sumo squash Jesse Bromwich. SST was his usual metre eating self; always punching through the line for a quick PTB. Cordner was arguably best forward on ground. He was a rock in D and constantly breaking tackles and "finding his front" as they say these days. Radley was his usual dual self - smashing blokes in D whilst also being a brilliant link man in attack with his slick passing game.

I'll say it again the forward pack was IMMENSE. They are strong, skillful, have tremendous leg speed, are aggressive, outstanding in D, and very versatile as most can play edge or in the centre. The best set of pigs in the comp and the media deserve a slap for their lazy tagline of "weakness" which has foolishly stuck since last years Prelim.

Have I missed anyone? 'twas a bit of a ramble but I wanted to give everyone their dues in what was the best performance by a Roosters side - and frankly any club side - I've seen in a huge finals game.

Oh wait, Robbo! And Fitzy. We talk about players improving but how about the coach? Last year's Prelim was a debacle but he learned. No more backrowers in the centres or wingers on the bench for big games. He had the balls to go with Momirovski which ensured our structure remained in tact and it paid off big time.

Our attack was balls early season so he threw out the playbook and started again. That takes such an open mind and an ability to self reflect and admit error. Another ballsy move that paid off. And in the big dance he absolutely schooled Bellamy. To hide and shift Cronk on the fly like that shows how incredibly entrenched our structures and team identity is. Just a coaching masterclass from a club legend.

So congrats to all involved on their achievements and for providing us fans with memories that will last a lifetime.

Last edited:

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
It will take the entire off season to wipe this smile off my face.. not only to win it in the manner in which we did but to deny back to back premierships to Cam 'two contract' Smith and Billy 'karate kid' Slater in the process makes it all the more satisfying...

Having re watched the game i have to go with

3. Keary
2. Aubs (if not for Kearys otherworldly performance he would have been CCM easily)
1. Corder

Tommy Smith

Referee
I did forget someone - Cronk! Shame on me!

His courageous performances in the Prelim and GF will genuinely be talked about for decades to come.

He wasn't only brave either. His line speed and decision making in D was outstanding as he constantly rushed up and suffocated the Storm. It must help that he knew their strengths so well. Talk about inside knowledge! And his ability to calm the team down was so valuable. I can't help but wonder how we would have reacted to that intercept with Pearce at the helm. But no such concerns with Captain Cronk. Even with one arm he had the boys so focused.

It's not hyperbole to say that Cronk has cemented himself as a club legend in the space of a single season.

Like Smith & Slater, he's a great player. But he's also a great & fair competitor on the field unlike the other two; and he's also an awesome bloke off the field, certainly unlike Smith.

Our boys are so lucky to have firstly had SBW and now Cronk from whom they have learned so much.

And on a forgotten side note, the broken scapula is MUCH better than a wrecked rotator cuff, especially at his age. So he'll be back as good as new come rnd 1 in the quest for b2b. Happy days.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
I did forget someone - Cronk! Shame on me!

His courageous performances in the Prelim and GF will genuinely be talked about for decades to come.

He wasn't only brave either. His line speed and decision making in D was outstanding as he constantly rushed up and suffocated the Storm. It must help that he knew their strengths so well. Talk about inside knowledge! And his ability to calm the team down was so valuable. I can't help but wonder how we would have reacted to that intercept with Pearce at the helm. But no such concerns with Captain Cronk. Even with one arm he had the boys so focused.

It's not hyperbole to say that Cronk has cemented himself as a club legend in the space of a single season.

Like Smith & Slater, he's a great player. But he's also a great & fair competitor on the field unlike the other two; and he's also an awesome bloke off the field, certainly unlike Smith.

Our boys are so lucky to have firstly had SBW and now Cronk from whom they have learned so much.

And on a forgotten side note, the broken scapula is MUCH better than a wrecked rotator cuff, especially at his age. So he'll be back as good as new come rnd 1 in the quest for b2b. Happy days.

Yeah Cronk is a part of roosters folklore now.

I will never bag Pearce, I still defend him on the main forum and he will always be a rooster to me but we won the comp so the right decision was made last year.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Yeah I still like Pearce. And without a hint of sarcasm I hope he's holding up well after we won the comp.

Given his prior mental health battles plus the manner of his exit it was probably a pretty huge blow to see the boys win the comp and lift the trophy without him.

Lambretta

First Grade
What Tone (Babyface) said (it was a privilege to watch the game with you) but my votes are

3. Keary
2. Cords
1. Maubs

JWH, Trell, Teddy & Manu all deserved a point. As for Cronk, what a masterclass in running a game without touching the ball. Respect

Headless Chook

Juniors
Every time I watch the game replay I come up with different 3 2 1’s. On the last viewing it’s;

3. Aubs. Talk about Mr Versatile! Is there a better player who can cover so many positions? I can’t think of any. He was unreal. Even those I know who absolutely hate our club don’t have a bad word to say about him.

2. Keary

1. Cords

Time for another viewing, better go grab a beer.