What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gilchrist retires

Pistol

Coach
lockyno1 said:
He as less than 5 years, Ronchi and Paine have over 10 years left. I'd rather go for the long term option!

you have an incredibly poor memory. or maybe you just dont like admitting when you are totally off the mark. Gilchrist was 28-29 when he entered the Test team. Haddin has matured a lot over the years. besides that, he's the most experienced keeper in the Pura Cup given his time in the ODI side.

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/baggygreen/content/story/333484.html

Adam Gilchrist, the Australian vice-captain and wicketkeeper, has just retired from all forms of cricket. The sudden news came at the end of the third day's play between Australia and India at the Adelaide Oval and only 24 hours after he broke the world record for number of catches.

It's not yet clear whether the CB Series with India and Sri Lanka will be his last or whether this Test will be the last international cricket he plays.

:(

dubopov

Coach
Hartley is clearly the best wicket-keeper..but..his batting has been disappointing in the last couple of seasons..I'd pick him for Tests and either Haddin or Ronchi for One Dayers..

Pistol

Coach
I had hoped he'd continue to the next ashes series in 09 but I guess he thinks the time is right at the moment

TheParraboy

Staff member
locky is gay (im serious), he has the hots for paine, why else does he want him in the side?? certainly not what he has done last 3 years, Haddin creams all over him (no pun intended)

JW

Coach
Don't like the idea of different keepers for Tests and ODIs.

It's a simple straight swap for me. Haddin to keep in all forms of the game, bat at 7 in the whites and open in the PJs. He'll be up to it.

Well played Gilly, thanks for the great memories.

JW

Coach
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
Is it just me, or is anyone else feeling empty? Sort of the post-tugga feel.

True, I was thinking that aswell. Haven't felt this weird about a retirement since Waugh. Big call since the likes of McGrath and Warne have departed in that time.

[furrycat]

Coach
Absolutely f**kin gutted. After McGrath he is my favourite player and meeting him was a highlight of my young life... very disappointing :(

lockyno1

Post Whore
TheParraboy said:
locky is gay (im serious), he has the hots for paine, why else does he want him in the side?? certainly not what he has done last 3 years, Haddin creams all over him (no pun intended)

I view Paine as the long term successor to Gilchrist. I see no reason why he shouldn't be the next keeper.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Pistol said:
you have an incredibly poor memory. or maybe you just dont like admitting when you are totally off the mark. Gilchrist was 28-29 when he entered the Test team. Haddin has matured a lot over the years. besides that, he's the most experienced keeper in the Pura Cup given his time in the ODI side.

Yes and Haddin is 2 years older than what Gilly was..not to mention Gilly was a once in a generation player!

JW

Coach
Who gives a sh*t how old he is. You pick the best player for the position, regardless of age. Not every keeper has to do 7-8 year stints.

lockyno1

Post Whore
JW said:
Who gives a sh*t how old he is. You pick the best player for the position, regardless of age. Not every keeper has to do 7-8 year stints.

You need to take a view for the future. IMO Paine is the best young keeper around.

JW

Coach
lockyno1 said:
You need to take a view for the future. IMO Paine is the best young keeper around.

Did you object to the inclusion of old-timers Hussey and Clark?

the 2005 Ashes team is nearly gone

Langer-Jaques
Hayden-Hayden
Ponting-Ponting
Martyn-Hussey
Clarke-Clarke
Katich-Symonds
Gilly-Haddin
Warne-Hogg
Lee-Lee
Dizzy-Johnson
Pigeon-Clark

4 left, which by the 09 Ashes series will probably be 3 (Haydos will retire soon)