What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ginnane article about video referees

saint.nick

Coach
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/news/2014/8/time-to-fix-video-referees-says-dan-ginnane/

I wouldn't mind seeing how his proposal would work. I for one am also fed up with our video refereeing system. Encouraging your officials to stand there blank-minded, relying on lazily guessing the outcome every time a potential try is scored, because of this vid-ref "I've got a try/no-try" fallback option, is utterly mindless. How can we call this professional? The referees just simply can't be bothered/are too scared to make a decision these days. There are instances where we are checking for obstructions that obviously did not exist. And yet, the NRL tries to bullshit to us that this recently new system is about 'referees being allowed to back themselves'. I sometimes feel there's no point in having on-field ref for tries anymore, because we know the guy upstairs will have to sort it out anyway. They should be asking for a pay-rise with this increase in work volume...

GT0007

Juniors
I think it's rediculous that a ref has to call try/no try when he may have no view of it at all. If you can't see that it's not a try then you must give benefit of the doubt to the attacking team

pinkmoon

Juniors
I am staunchly opposed to the video referee. I think it has gone a long way to spoiling the spectacle of rugby league. The game survived for 80 years without it, and now it is front and centre of every match. The way I look it at; you win some, you lose some, and it was that way before the video referee arrived on the scene, and guess what? it's still that way even with the video referee, so why bother.

I get that it won't be scrapped, but at the very least, if we are going to keep it, the only thing they should be able to rule on is grounding, and touchline. If a bomb goes up, the referee is standing right there and can judge who's hand touched it, etc. The touch judge can rule on offsides, and the two referees can make an obstruction call on the spot (all things that they managed to rule on in the first 80 years of RL so they can damn well do it now with an extra referee helping out).

Dezziedc

Juniors
I am staunchly opposed to the video referee. I think it has gone a long way to spoiling the spectacle of rugby league. The game survived for 80 years without it, and now it is front and centre of every match. The way I look it at; you win some, you lose some, and it was that way before the video referee arrived on the scene, and guess what? it's still that way even with the video referee, so why bother.

I get that it won't be scrapped, but at the very least, if we are going to keep it, the only thing they should be able to rule on is grounding, and touchline. If a bomb goes up, the referee is standing right there and can judge who's hand touched it, etc. The touch judge can rule on offsides, and the two referees can make an obstruction call on the spot (all things that they managed to rule on in the first 80 years of RL so they can damn well do it now with an extra referee helping out).

After reading this thread, I initially thought this too as my mind always goes back to a try scored by Mat Rogers when he was still playing for the Sharks. I remember him diving for the line and the ball left his hand a good foot and 1/2 above the ground and he didn't touch it again until after it hit the ground. TRY!!! With the video replay it was painfully obvious that he dropped the ball over the line. I always thought that was a good example of where the video ref was needed and would be useful.

But todays groundings aren't much better. This fingertip control BS is so confusing it isn't funny. They can award a try at one end of the field that clearly looks as though it was dropped - nek minnit there's one at the other end of the field with more control that isn't awarded. It's just not consistent enough to be of any value.

saint.nick

Coach
Another reason the whole thing is unprofessional. These video refs clearly don't have a strict, defined set of interpretations to follow.

64 Dragon

Coach
We have video refs because the TV coverage goes into every minute detail of the game and nothing is missed. It supposedly saves all the embarrassment when a referee misses things. The refs don't like risking a decision being wrong because of the coverage.

GT0007

Juniors
I think they went the wrong way when they said u have to have control of the ball as that clearly can be so subjective. Also flys in the face of someone getting a hand to a grubber. IMO if u have downward contact with the ball when it hits the ground that has to be good enough as mostly that is black & white and one finger on the ball is a spectacular result as opposed to a no try cos the video ref has to interpret control which constantly has varied.

Latest posts