What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glenn Black is a bloody good ref

ozbash

Referee
Despite what those clowns at the ARL say.

the reffing in aussie is so poor, they wouldnt know a good ref if they saw one.

he made sure of his call- vid ref- and the couple of mistakes i thought he made were very minor.

the touchies didnt help him at all.

Black is better than anyone aussie have and would possibly lie just behind russell smith as best in the world.

Jono078

Referee
I thought he was fairly good last night, pretty even for both sides imo.

Then again, it was 4am and it's all a blur now.

umosay

Juniors
How can they possibly call him bad after seeing that pom's performance in the first 2 games? At least Black has eyes and can see forward passes etc...

PARANoIR

Bench
Black was very good. He's not up with Russell Smith imo. I hope that Ashley Klein gets a start in the tri nations, hes the best Aussie Ref out of the lot, and he doesnt even ref in the NRL.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I will rate him if/when he refs full-time in the NRL/Superleague. He might be a good ref but the reality is that I don't want anyone controlling a game where he makes mistakes just purely and simply becuase he does not ref full-time. The reailty is that I believe whoever is the best ref whether he be from GB,NZ, AUS, should ref the game regardless whoever is playing. If that happens to be Russell Smith or Mander then so be it.

tex

Juniors
umosay said:
How can they possibly call him bad after seeing that pom's performance in the first 2 games? At least Black has eyes and can see forward passes etc...

Oh he does see 'em does he? Next stage for him is to blow his whistle and penalise them then.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
I think his general decision making is outstanding. Bar the Cunningham kick through that he called wrong after being unsighted, he got more or less everything right.

The one thing he does absolutely awfully though is the play the balls. It was appalling the other night, the game was virtually stopped after every tackle as the players were taking so long to get off the tackled player. The amount of times he called held, then allowed them to wrestle the player to the floor, then lay on was ridiculous.

aqua_duck

Coach
How can anyone say Russell Smith is the best ref in the world?
BTW Ozbash, you claim the reffing in australia is so poor, yet russell smith is the best ref in the world, well where was he the last 12 months?

screeny

Bench
Russell Smith is awful. He plain cheats in favour of Australia now. He assumes they have to win and helps them win. He plays 15 metre offsides too, whihc, last time I looked, aren't in the rules of the game.

Ganson was pretty anti-NZ too. I thought Black went very well. I'd rather a ref allowed a little bit of latitude at the ruck rather than blowing penalties every set.

AuckMel

Bench
After watching the replay, I still can't see what people are complaining about.

PTB's were no worse than anything I've seen this year.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
AuckMel said:
After watching the replay, I still can't see what people are complaining about.

PTB's were no worse than anything I've seen this year.

If that were a Super League match NZ would have been whistled off the park. It is one area which is massively different between the NRL and SUper League.

ozbash

Referee
BTW Ozbash, you claim the reffing in australia is so poor, yet russell smith is the best ref in the world, well where was he the last 12 months?

showing mander and co up ?

the play the ball and slowing down in the tackle were scrappy,, but legal.
you can thank aussie for these new tackle rules- dominant tackle etc.
it was something they dreamed up to give them a further advantage but i think its backfired on them.

AuckMel

Bench
Fairleigh Good! said:
If that were a Super League match NZ would have been whistled off the park. It is one area which is massively different between the NRL and SUper League.

Do you guys sit on your arse and play the ball in the UK?

The PTB's were no worse than the NRL. The Kiwis were dominating a lot of tackles.

screeny

Bench
AuckMel said:
Do you guys sit on your arse and play the ball in the UK?

The PTB's were no worse than the NRL. The Kiwis were dominating a lot of tackles.
Exactly. Nothing worse than a game that descends into a whistle-athon. It's a contact sport and dominating in the tackles should result in slower PTBs.

The GB lads weren't gesticulating too much from AHB for quicker PTBs anyway.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
As I've already said, the play the balls were the same speed or faster than the average NRL match (btw, I find the play the ball area in Super League laughable, but I guess it depends on what you're used to.) Any NRL fan who claims the play the ball was slow is kidding themselves.

Iafeta

Referee
Fairleigh Good! said:

Really?

Out of Ganson and Black, Ganson has allowed more slowing of the ruck down than by a long long margin. Infact, at one stage in the second test Ben Ikin from the sideline alluded to the fact that Australia's primary tactic was to lay in the ruck area.

Ganson had no idea whatsoever. If thats the standard of ESL refereeing then thats a load of hogwash.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I think FG is right Iafeta. I watch a lot of Super League and the play the balls are very fast. There are a lot of penalties handed out in the play the ball area for non-existent offences, or where the attacking player has obviously milked it. There seems to be a mentality to totally favour the attacking side. Same deal with high tackles.

carlnz

Bench
Thierry Henry said:
I think FG is right Iafeta. I watch a lot of Super League and the play the balls are very fast. There are a lot of penalties handed out in the play the ball area for non-existent offences, or where the attacking player has obviously milked it. There seems to be a mentality to totally favour the attacking side. Same deal with high tackles.

I watch a couple super league matches where between 22-30 penalties were handed out.

Black only gave 7 each!

screeny

Bench
Bennett and Noble have been bleating constantly in the press about the rucks, with Noble, pathetically, claiming he was playing to 'different rules' to NZ. What a load of rubbish.

There were refereeing mistakes, as there are in every game, and there were a few instances when Black could have given a penalty for lying on or not releasing the ball carrying arm at the ruck, but to say it was endemic is just not true.

If Noble wants to bitch about the ref he should concentrate on the fact that he's playing NZ with a NZ ref and Australia with an Aussie ref- now that is ludicrous for a sport that pretends it's a serious int'l proposition.

Latest posts