What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

God Bless the Bluebags.

boo_boo

Juniors
As a Souths supporter of 40 odd years i remember going to Henson Park to see Souths vs Newtown many times & have always had a soft spot for the Bluebags but it was only in the last 28 years that i have really noticed just how poor the game of Rugby League is without Newtown in the NRL.
I go through Newtown every day i still believe it's a disgrace that the area doesn't have a team to represent them in the NRL.
Yes things change & only the strong survive but i still believe that any governing body that is trusted with the administration of any professional sport such as the NRL, ARL, NSWRL etc should have dealt with the loss of a foundation club better than what they have done.
The things i love about the game of Rugby League are the rustic old world charm that clubs like Souths, Newtown, Balmain, Norths, Wests & Easts resonate through their own individual time-lines & the game to me is poorer for not having these clubs contest as individual foundation clubs against each other.
God bless the Bluebags.
The game of Rugby League is that much poorer without them.

bluebag43

Juniors
Here here Boo Boo!

Today's game was built on the backs of the pioneer/ foundation clubs, such as the Bluebags!

You would think that the League Heirarchy after the current TV deal is upgraded could give Newtown a annual grant of say $100K to ensure Newtown RLFC's long term survival. That is after all such a small amount to ensure that an historical link to the game is maintained. (that is the equvalent of what a rookie with potenial would be paid per annum by an NRL club)

axl rose

Bench
Yes things change & only the strong survive but i still believe that any governing body that is trusted with the administration of any professional sport such as the NRL, ARL, NSWRL etc should have dealt with the loss of a foundation club better than what they have done.

I agree but did the NSWRL at the time even have enough money to bail them out?

boo_boo

Juniors
Not to sure Axl but i still think its sad to see a club like Newtown get relegated to a minor comp.

boo boo you hit the nail right on the head my old mate!!!!!
i have a brand new 2011 run on guernsey of the jets in my cupboard given to me most recently by a good mate of mine and i gave him two rabbitoh caps one black and one white cap. Boo Boo so true are your words other than the clubs you mentioned the other teams prior to that have no history at all if your not an 1908 club you have very limited history it's as simple as that and i personally congratuate you boo boo on your intellect. Souths cares!!!!!

one-eyed rabbitoh.

Attachments

• imagesCA1BLXB1.jpg
    imagesCA1BLXB1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 0

boo_boo

Juniors
We cant deny other clubs respect for not being there in 1908 & although the game has changed a lot demographically we in the very least should remember all clubs with respect for helping lay the foundations of the game we love.
Even though these opposition clubs were our arch enemies on the field they still had blokes who played for them that worked in mines, as coppers, labourers, wharfies, local councils etc whose wives worked as nurses, secretaries, behind the bar at the local RSL etc that helped shaped the game that we follow today.
No matter how big or how small these clubs the individuals behind them have made a contribution to developing a culture that we have religiously followed & should never be forgotten.
Long live the Bunnies & the Bluebags & never forget the little bloke.

axl rose

Bench
who played for them that worked in mines, as coppers, labourers, wharfies, local councils etc whose wives worked as nurses, secretaries, behind the bar at the local RSL etc that helped shaped the game that we follow today.

Indeed, the game was also built on the hard work of thousands of volunteers every year. Made it ripe for the picking from the likes of Murdoch.

boo_boo

Juniors
Unfortunately Axl your correct.
I go to Henson Park to see the Bluebags as this to me represents what the game is all about but has lost due to the demands of the modern game.
As a Souths supporter i hate going to ANZ Stadium because to me that just supports big corporation crawling into our game & dictating to us supporters how things are going to be done & it's their way or the highway.
They can stick ANZ Stadium up their clacka as i 'll continue to watch my beloved Bunnies & from a pub than go to ANZ Stadium to see a plastic home game.

fred95

Juniors
You're right Boo Boo, It's only people with your passion for the game and how it was, that will ever make a difference to the game as it is today. Hopefully things might change in the not too distant future.

boo_boo

Juniors
fred95, i'm sure my passion for the game is shared by a lot more people than just those who post on these forums.
The game is being held to ransom by those who are destined to make the most from it & i am not talkining about the players either.
Big business is slowly killing our game & i fear for it's future if this is allowed to continue.

NZ Jet

Juniors
I used to think it was a shame the Jets were no longer in the big league, but I think I've changed my mind over the years. If they were... you would not be able to go and see what it used to be like in real footy (except maybe at NSO and Leichhardt...kind of). Henson is unique and it would be radically different, if even still existing, if it was an NRL standard stadium.

You'd pay 8 bucks for warm beer in a plastic cup instead of 5 for a KB or Reschs, you's be 1 in 5000 for the raffle (not that it'd make any difference), you cant have a kick with your kids at half time - you wouldn't be able to afford to take them half the time, you'd stuggle to get to the bar after the game at the pub, couldn't park 20 yards from the gate - or inside the ground, etc etc etc...

The only important thing for me is that they keep going and get to play in a comp against the old traditional teams as much as possible - considering there are more 1908 teams in the NSW cup than the NRL - I guess they do!

boo_boo

Juniors
Believe it or not NZ Jet i sometimes wish Souths were in the same predicament.
The history & traditions of our gamehave been abused by the NRL & they have taken liberty of the game we love & have tried to turn it into a a plaything for the wealthy instead of keeping it essentially a working class game that everyone can afford to support.