What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast need AFL type membership schemes.

iggy plop

First Grade
They are a new club that won't have the backing of a leagues club so it makes sense for them to go on massive membership drives (a la AFL) to shore up their support. I hear stories of the Lions having 30,000 members and the Swans having 25,000 and it makes me wonder what league teams could do if they got serious about this - especially ones without the decent backing of leagues clubs.

The Coast need at least 10,000 fully paid members in their first year with the aim to build up to 15-20,000 one day. I'm sure if an AFL club moved into the area they'd somehow get those numbers.

We need to get the loyal membership scheme into our game and the Gold Coast are the perfect team to get it rolling.

Hope you're reading this Searley!

Bomber

Bench
I'm not certain whether they won't ever have the backing of a leagues club - Burleigh Leagues, for example, is quite close to Robina.

How much would each 'member' pay?

I remember when the Cowboys were getting themselves into the ARL, there was a push to send a letter (cut out of a newspaper) to Quayle and Arko, with each fan asked to donate the price of a stamp towards getting a team into the comp.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I totally agree and i'm surprised why NRL clubs to not follow this chain of thought. It is an untapped source of revenue. If you look at some of the AFL clubs they have upwards of 35000 members. That's astonishing but no wonder AFL clubs get the support they do compared to Sydney teams in the NRL.

DIEHARD

----
Tidus_Raider said:
I totally agree and i'm surprised why NRL clubs to not follow this chain of thought. It is an untapped source of revenue. If you look at some of the AFL clubs they have upwards of 35000 members. That's astonishing but no wonder AFL clubs get the support they do compared to Sydney teams in the NRL.

I think more NRL clubs do not follow this plan because it would mean losing their grip of power over the club because the fans would be in control.

If a club is going to start such a scheme they should do it now, before they start playing. But I don't see it happening, the backers of the Gold Coast have contributed $15,000,0000 in capital and I'm sure they'd want control for that investment.

mightybears

Bench
DIEHARD said:
I think more NRL clubs do not follow this plan because it would mean losing their grip of power over the club because the fans would be in control...the backers of the Gold Coast have contributed $15,000,0000 in capital and I'm sure they'd want control for that investment.

pretty much
afl went down the football club membership path because they didn't have leagues clubs to fund them, memberships way back when [before real tv income]was the way they generated income, after ticket sales and sponsorships from businesses

wouldn't suprise if the GC bid linked 'GC member/supporter' as such with membership of burleigh leagues, at least until a facility for fans/bar/rooms was built into the robina stadium

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I dont know they could give the fans 40% an keep 60% for themselves. On other thing I hope the team keeps it's name as the 'Gold Coast (insert name)' and not something like the VODAFONE WARRIORS or MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC BULLDOGS!

Latest posts