What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast on Agenda

Mark Rudd

Juniors
OK , heres a better idea. Lets NEVER expand.

Heres another one. Lets merge Sydney teams together to expand.

What about this one? Lets ship off some Sydney team to SA and WA and start teams over there without their own identity.

I have another great idea. Lets add teams but keep Sydney teams as well until the interstate teams in SA or WA or VIC go broke and have to fold.

Wait! Another one! Lets to the same as above but wait until 2 or 3 Sydney teams fold for the same reason as to why you CANT expand above 16 teams.

Cost's too much.

Personally, my idea for the ultimate competition that would be the envy of every other code is by far and away better than your hairbrained ideas.

Its the 21st century. Time to move forward. Not back. Other wise all the other sports that HAVE moved forward WILL take over.

With 50,000 + tickets sold for the Swans clash at Telstra on the first day of tickets sales , maybe its already happening.

ANd dont say I didnt warn you.

Simo

First Grade
Mark Rudd said:
OK , heres a better idea. Lets NEVER expand.

Heres another one. Lets merge Sydney teams together to expand.

What about this one? Lets ship off some Sydney team to SA and WA and start teams over there without their own identity.

I have another great idea. Lets add teams but keep Sydney teams as well until the interstate teams in SA or WA or VIC go broke and have to fold.

Wait! Another one! Lets to the same as above but wait until 2 or 3 Sydney teams fold for the same reason as to why you CANT expand above 16 teams.

Cost's too much.

Personally, my idea for the ultimate competition that would be the envy of every other code is by far and away better than your hairbrained ideas.

Its the 21st century. Time to move forward. Not back. Other wise all the other sports that HAVE moved forward WILL take over.

With 50,000 + tickets sold for the Swans clash at Telstra on the first day of tickets sales , maybe its already happening.

ANd dont say I didnt warn you.

Mark, let me show you where, in my opinion, your theory is flawed.

Ill take you back to 1997 when the competition was split. Loyalties were broken and tradition was scrapped because people with an idea that may have worked if done differently didnt think anyone would care about loyalty and tradition.

They assumed people would flock to the new 'Super' competition and forget about there passed loyalties and traditions. They were trying to, as you say, move us into the 21st century.

Well i dont think i need to say anything about how it turned out and people who think the public will support whatever they are told to support are having massive memory lapses as this didnt work all but 8 years ago, without massive competition from AFL and Union.

You CANT strip people of their loyalties and passion and tell them who they must support.

The NRL is slowly expanding, maybe not as quick as some would like but if anything they have at least shown they have learnt from the passed and are not scrapping any teams.

The very reason the AFL will sellout Telstra and Union has become very popular is because someone already tried to take League into the 21st Century but left behind the history and tradition.

Your competition is a very good one if you were starting from scratch, but that is not the case, there is 100 years of passion and history that will be scrapped.

I dont believe i read anyone say lets never expand, i know i never said it, and people want expansion but not at the detriment of their club unless it happens naturally.

The AFL and Union will be even more popular if you start axing teams again. Just look at the past 10 years before you start thinking of axing anyone.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Mark Rudd said:
It'll happen anyway. Clubs will die. Get used to it.

And maybe sooner than you think.

The pokies tax will start making clubs try to support themselves, we'll then see some of the sydney clubs really struggle with the only options to survive being relocation or merger.

paulmac

Juniors
As a bears fan my wish is for the Sharks to move up to the GC so that the Central Coast Bears can get the 16th license.
So how do we get the Sharks to move on their own accord?I say offer them an extra million a year as compensation for the first five years,let them play their away games against Easts,Souths,Canterbury,Parra,
Penrith and Manly at Shark Park and highlight the difficulties RL clubs will face when the new pokies tax comes into legislation.

Simo

First Grade
Mark Rudd said:
It'll happen anyway. Clubs will die. Get used to it.

And maybe sooner than you think.

Yes clubs will die a natural death and people will still support the game. I cannot believe you are saying to just axe teams and assume everyone will follow.

Man do you need to remember the last few years.

Change must be for the good of the game not to the detriment.

Think of the last 10 years and then honestly Mark tell me if you really still think it is a good idea to just cut the Sydney teams and brush loyalty and tradition. If you can say that that will be for the good of the game with a straight face id have to say your a good liar or very naieve (sp?)

incredible_holc

Juniors
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a bears fan my wish is for the Sharks to move up to the GC so that the Central Coast Bears can get the 16th license.
So how do we get the Sharks to move on their own accord?I say offer them an extra million a year as compensation for the first five years,let them play their away games against Easts,Souths,Canterbury,Parra,
Penrith and Manly at Shark Park and highlight the difficulties RL clubs will face when the new pokies tax comes into

as a sharks fan i wish that you would piss off

Victor Trumper

Juniors
Dean Moriarty said:
Admins - could you change the name of this thread to "Relocate the teams you don't like"?

Thanks. :roll:

:lol:
well here's mine then

Canterbury Bulldogs-- (stay where they are)
Newcastle Knights-- (stay where they are)
Brisbane Broncos-- (stay where they are)
Nth Qld Cowboys-- (stay where they are)
Canberra Raiders-- (stay where they are)
Melbourne Storm-- (stay where they are)
Auckland Warriors-- (stay where they are)
Central Coast Bears-- (but if they start gaining support in Northern Sydney, they will be relocated to Pt Macquarie)
Gold Coast Sharks-- (Cronulla relocate)
Western Tigers--(Tigers go to perth)
Southern Rabbitohs-- (souths go to Adelaide)
Hobart Eels-- (Parramatta to Tassie)
Darwin Panthers-- (Penrtih to Darwin)
Wellingotn Roosters-- (easts to Wellington)
Pt Morseby Sea Eagles-- (Manly to PNG)
Illawarra Dragons-- (St George-Illawarra to be based permanently in Wollongong. But if the start gaining support in Southern Sydney, they will be relocated to Eden).

A national competition, fair to everyone. :p

Victor Trumper said:
Dean Moriarty said:
Admins - could you change the name of this thread to "Relocate the teams you don't like"?

well here's mine then

Central Coast Bears-- (but if they start gaining support in Northern Sydney, they will be relocated to Pt Macquarie)
Illawarra Dragons-- (St George-Illawarra to be based permanently in Wollongong. But if the start gaining support in Southern Sydney, they will be relocated to Eden).

:lol: :lol:

At least you're honest!

But you didn't go far enough. Illawarra's much too close to Sydney to have its own team - they should go to the Alice. Same with the Gold Coast - in the brave new world, it's much too close to Brisbane. No, if you're going to move my Sharks, I recommend Kalgoorlie - all those miners represent the core, Meatloaf-loving NRL demographic. It's a real winner. 8)

Victor Trumper

Juniors
Dean Moriarty said:
Victor Trumper said:
Dean Moriarty said:

well here's mine then

:lol: :lol:

At least you're honest!

But you didn't go far enough. Illawarra's much too close to Sydney to have its own team - they should go to the Alice. Same with the Gold Coast - in the brave new world, it's much too close to Brisbane. No, if you're going to move my Sharks, I recommend Kalgoorlie - all those miners represent the core, Meatloaf-loving NRL demographic. It's a real winner. 8)

I think you might be on to something there ;-)

Disco

Bench
I can't believe people want to relocate Manly, therefore leaving the whole northshore without league representation, For mine, keep it simple for now relocate the one club without a premiership or great tradition (the Sharks) to the Gold Coast and let in a Central Coast team (Bears Or Jets)

therefore

NQLD Cowboys
Brisbane Broncos
Gold Coast Sharks (it just sounds right)

Newcastle Knights

Central Coast Bears

Canberra Raiders

Manly Sea Eagles
Sydney City Roosters
Bulldogs
South Sydney
Wests Tigers
Parramatta
Penrith Panthers
Saints

Melbourne Storm

NZ Wariors

Alan Shore

First Grade
Disco said:
I can't believe people want to relocate Manly, therefore leaving the whole northshore without league representation, For mine, keep it simple for now relocate the one club without a premiership or great tradition (the Sharks) to the Gold Coast and let in a Central Coast team (Bears Or Jets)

therefore

NQLD Cowboys
Brisbane Broncos

Newcastle Knights

Central Coast Bears

Canberra Raiders

Manly Sea Eagles
Sydney City Roosters
Bulldogs
South Sydney
Wests Tigers
Parramatta
Penrith Panthers
Saints

Melbourne Storm

NZ Wariors

No tradition, you've got to be kidding me.

Disco

Bench
Tamazoid said:
Disco said:

therefore

NQLD Cowboys
Brisbane Broncos

Newcastle Knights

Central Coast Bears

Canberra Raiders

Manly Sea Eagles
Sydney City Roosters
Bulldogs
South Sydney
Wests Tigers
Parramatta
Penrith Panthers
Saints

Melbourne Storm

NZ Wariors

No tradition, you've got to be kidding me.
U guys have tradition, but i said a great tradition

Once Dead

Bench
ParraEelsNRL said:
Willow i agree 100% with you.

but you have to agree that we have to many teams in sydney for it to be a truly NATIONAL comp.

i know ppl will say leave it alone,but we have the product,LETS USE IT TO THE FULL :D

So you will agree on moving Parramatta to Perth to have the Perth Eels then?

Its funny how everyone who has these expansionist ideals never mentions anything about their team moving........

Once Dead

Bench
Mark Rudd said:
The answer's simple. Remove all clubs from Sydney and start from scratch. No more Eels, Bulldogs, Dragons and so on. Completey new teams representing the different points of Sydney.

1. Melbourne
2. Canberra
3. New Zealand
4. Illawarra
5. Newcastle
6. Gold Coast
7. Brisbane
8. North Queensland
9. Adelaide
10. Perth
11. Central Coast
12. Penrith
13. Sydney West
14. Sydney East
15. Sydney Central
16 Sydney South

There you have it. Teams from all parts of Australia. Including 5 in Sydney to appease fans. 8 if you include CC, Newcastle and Illawarra. The large Penrith region deserves to keep its identity. Sydney teams have new colours with no nicks at all. No one can use "Bulldogs" for instance. A team plays out of Aussie. One at Cambletown which has its capacity increased to 30,000. One or two play at either Parramatta or Telstra. Maybe even the Liverpool stadium could be given the go ahead. A second Brisbane team could be added at the expence of the Central Sydney team.

Far fetched? Maybe. Maybe its the only way the game can really expand. 16 teams would keep the costs overall for the comp down as oppossed to having 18 or 20 again. That way teams like Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth can be kept afloat in difficult times. Or given some consession's.

Personally I think its a great idea(all my ideas are). Question is. What do YOU guys think.

John Ribot in disguise?

Sheesh.........remove all Sydney teams? What the hell are you smoking? Its like jenga.......take away the foundations and then watch the stack fall.........

Special K

Coach
Atleast our club still has a tradition. What do you have? A side full of players who don't have any heart, who are fat and fight with coaches or poached from cronulla first division? Then add to that the girl and you've got yourself one hell of a tradition :lol:

dimitri

First Grade
have a look at this years premiership table

then think to yourself

if the dragons are that bad

gee how is your team going

Special K

Coach
dimitri said:
have a look at this years premiership table

then think to yourself

if the dragons are that bad

gee how is your team going
Gee the sharks must suck then..Oh well they still beat the Dragqueens :lol: :lol: :lol: