What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good news everyone!

LeagueNut

First Grade
Common sense prevailing... Warriors to stay at Mt Smart!!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11556705

The Warriors are set to stay at Mt Smart - at least for the next 15 years or so.

Nothing has yet been agreed, but it's believed the Warriors and Regional Facilities Auckland have been discussing a new 10-year lease for the NRL club after their current deal expires in 2018.

It's a significant turnaround from earlier this year, when the Warriors fate seemed sealed and they were going to be moved from their long-time home at the end of the 2018 season.

They were granted a stay of execution - when Auckland Councillors agreed to their request in May to take another year to examine all of the options - and now it appears there has been a pronounced change in thinking.

The previous arrangement, which saw the Warriors being moved to QBE Stadium in Albany and speedway becoming the principal tenants at Mt Smart, is now down the list of likely options.

It's more probable that speedway will remain at Western Springs for a few years beyond its current lease (2016), before moving to an alternative venue. The proposed cricket oval at Western Springs is still on the agenda but may not happen within the original timeframe.

After discussions over the past six months, the Warriors and RFA have moved much closer to an understanding. There is a recognition that Mt Smart needs a facelift - although not at the extreme cost previously touted, between $40 and $70 million.

And the Warriors are believed to be willing to contribute to the cost of upgrading the Penrose venue to bring it up to standard with other NRL club venues in Australia. It's expected any new deal will be agreed before the start of the upcoming NRL season.

The change in direction has been facilitated by RFA chief executive Chris Brooks, who has taken a much more consultative approach than his predecessor Robert Domm.

"We have been having some really good discussion with the Warriors about post-2018," Brooks told Newstalk ZB yesterday. "We are not to an endpoint [but agreeing a new lease] is a likely outcome that will occur next year."

Brooks was appointed in mid March and has spent the last nine months consulting with stakeholders, from professional sporting clubs to community groups. He said the overall direction of the strategy - optimising the use of Auckland stadiums and reducing the burden on ratepayers - had not changed but the way it is implemented will.

Brooks also signalled speedway will shift from Western Springs to a yet to be determined venue.

"Ultimately, speedway, for the growth and future of its sport, probably needs to find a new home," said Brooks. "We have two or three options that we are looking at at the moment."

The RFA's stadium strategy has had many incarnations since it was first developed in 2012, but the latest is perhaps the most logical. The original plan called for the Warriors to move to Eden Park, which was always going to be an ambitious idea. It remains an unpopular venue among league fans due to the distance from the action and is bereft of atmosphere unless it is more than half full. It is also, by far, the most expensive stadium to rent in the country and has cumbersome resource management act restrictions.

A subsequent favoured option called for QBE Stadium, which has major access issues and is located far from the league heartlands in West and South Auckland, to become the Warriors home, including the (surely fanciful) idea of a retractable roof at a cost of just $12 million.

The current plan seems to make the most sense. Retain Mt Smart for the medium-term future, while investigating the long-term possibility of a rectangular stadium in central Auckland.

:clap::clap::clap:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Jim is tha mantis. I hope we got Jim signed for Life :)

My biggest fear is that we'll eventually lose him to the role of NRL CEO, he's that well regarded. Hopefully he makes a Warriors premiership his first goal, plus we know he prefers the NZ lifestyle and doesn't need the money.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So the question is, what does Mt Smart need to be brought up to standard? Obviously a full rebuild is out of the question but I don't think that necessary anyway. I'd look at something like this:
Eastern stand stays pretty much as it is, it's only a little over a decade old and should still be fine with normal maintenance.
Western Stand needs a good refurbishment but the basic structure and capacity is fine, so I'd retain it and refurbish it to bring it up to standard.
I'd replace the southern stand with a new permanent covered stand, ideally a two tiered structure with a similar roof height to the east and west stands. Wrap the corners around to join the east and west stands and form a 3/4 enclosed bowl. This would also provide much improved viewing for concerts. Install a permanent modern replay screen/scoreboard in one corner. This would be the most expensive part of the upgrade.
Move the current temporary south stand structure to the north end, and rig it to be easily moveable, so that the north end can still be used for the stage for big concerts.
That'd probably bring capacity up to 30k+ with more covered seats and protection from the elements as well as improving the stadium for concerts. What else have I missed there? I assume bar and food facilities need upgrading as well?

Latest posts