What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodwin debuts for Raiders!

aussies1st

Staff member
Last time probably when Mal was around. Elliot I don't think ever made big changes dropping guys like Howell and Best.

legend

Coach
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves with the speculation on Dobson's future based on the fact he has been dropped for this week.

Competition for positions can only be a good thing and hopefully he is back in round 11 full of confidence against the Dragons.

mongoose

Coach
Mal Meninga said:
To be honest I think he's being dropped because he's out of here next season. We're trying to build for a premiership run in a year or two and Campo will probably fill that 5/8 gap till Herbert is ready.

And yes Thurling is very unlucky. Had a poor game by his standards but he's a damn good player. Bring in Raston for Tilse.... Alot of talk of him being a potential rep player but he's not angry or thick enough to become a dominant player.

i really hope you are wrong. there are serious problems at this club if dobson wants out already.

Chachi

Bench
Yowzer! Talk about a major shock - Best, Howell and Dobbo all goneski!

Nothing like having a few players back from injury to shake things up 'eh. Milne returning and Dobbo dropped are obviously the two massive calls by Henry. I'm praying Milne has a cracker as him and Chalk will have their hands full with Merritt and Vagana.

Conspiracy theories abound over the Dobbo thing. It's a little scary, but I'm sure there's a positive side somewhere to the whole situation. He didn't have the greatest second half, but he certainly wasn't robinson crusoe out there and I thought he at least offered as much as Campo in most aspects.

Who knows, but whatever happens it's going to be a juggling act to squeeze Zillman, Goodwin, Carney, Hinchcliffe, Withers, Herbert and Dobson in the same side one day (not to mention Campese). Having said that, I hope it's not something too drastic as I've enjoyed his partnership with Carney thus far and I'm thinking Herbert is still a year or two off regular first grade.

I have to say, Tilse and Turner are lucky bastards - and Bickerstaff starting over Learoyd-Lahrs is very surprising!

Our PL team is certainly going to be interesting to see.

Timbo

Staff member
It's funny, now I think about it, it was only a year or two ago that everyone thought Carney/Campese would be the halves for a long, long time.

Am I correct in saying that this is the first time they've ever lined up together in the 6 and 7?

Mal Meninga

Bench
They played 6/7 vs Newcastle a few years ago at there ground and it was probably the worst game I ever watched. Carney was dreadful and was subbed midway through the 2nd half while our best players on ground were Gafa and Howell. We won the game by 2 points I think Gafa nailed a goal to win it but it was one of the biggest cripple fights of all time.

Timbo

Staff member
I remember that game now.

We had 500 out injured and they had 600.

That's probably the only occasion, at least that I can remember.

God our starting halves that year were Drew and McLinden. Things have changed a little!

Mal Meninga

Bench
It was actually Smithy and Withers that year! Withers and Campo were named as starters but Carney started over Withers. Shocking game and Knights were without Johns.

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
Good move to have Dobson dropped back to premier league as Henry must see that Carney and Campese have played halves together in first grade, campese is in good form and Dobson was dropping off in that second half.
Hope Bickerstaff plays well as he looked ok when playing for the dragons.
THANKYOU Henry for dropping Best and Howell, they would have to improve 1thousand % to get back in the squad.
Very happy with the squad he has selected and hope Hinchcliffe gets back in.

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
WTF

I'm ok with most of thoes changes but what about chalk! he had his worst game in green ever last week! He looked so lethargic it wasn't funny but he's still there.... i mean dropping people on form is fine but keeping Chalk and dropping Dobo is crazy

Chalk was probably one of our better outside backs last week, definately deserves his spot there above howell and best

PRKLCD

Juniors
Saw Dobbo on the news and he says that the coach wants him to work on his running game that's why he is back in PL. I didn't see this coming, but I agree I haven't seen much of his running game............................ but that's what Carney is for

jed

First Grade
Timbo said:
Mick Dobson better be starting with the number #18.

18 GLEN TURNER

Not happening mate, perhaps he'll have #19 though?

Although I have faith that Henry knows what he's doing, personally I'd have preferred:
1 WILLIAM ZILLMAN
2 MARSHALL CHALK
3 TERRY CAMPESE
4 ADRIAN PURTELL
5 BRONX GOODWIN
6 TODD CARNEY
7 MICHAEL DOBSON

I think also people are getting way too paranoid about Dobson's future - there's no way we'd drop a quality player to PL for the next 16 games. Players haven't been dropped in the past at the Raiders, and don't get dropped at other clubs - holding him up as an example is never going to happen.

Raider_69

Post Whore
thats the way id have gone jed, but IMHO, Henry has not steered us wrong yet this season, so ill go with him on this one...

dmickey07

Juniors
Dobson out? WTF
IMO that would be an almost perfect team with his inclusion. I for one am sick to death of Thurling fluctuating from PL to 1sts. He never does anything wrong and he is also a damn good player! what does he do that tilse doesnt? Frankly this is chalks last game to convince me then i say shaft him for good - or at best a depth forward.

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
I think Henry has gone for more of a defensive and running halves in campese and carney.
Dobson is playing ok but he does go missing in the defensive line at crucial times when he should be backing up near the forwards.
Thurling is playing ok but he has not had the impact that TLL and costigan bring into the forwards.
Tilse is a player with big potential but he seems like a Matt Parsons(souths Newcastle) with a large build, he has a offload to his game which is needed in our forwards though I wish he would pick the right times.
Maybe Dobson will improve on his running game and come back a much better player.