What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould as coach?

Frank Facer

First Grade
There is a current Foxsports article with Mark Geyer suggesting that Newcastle should sign Gould to coach them next year. Whether he would accept the job is another story. It got me thinking that Gould could be an option for us too. He did grow up being a Saints fan. He is very well connected. He is a premiership winning coach and origin winning coach.

He would probably want control of recruitment and to select his own coaching staff and that would probably rule him out of contention for our coach.

Flanagan is the one I would be targeting to coach us next.

I would be pleased if Brown was to take over from Mary at the end of this season.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
There is a current Foxsports article with Mark Gyer suggesting that Newcastle should sign Gould to coach them next year. Whether he would accept the job is another story. It got me thinking that Gould could be an option for us too. He did grow up being a Saints fan. He is very well connected. He is a premiership winning coach and origin winning coach.

He would probably want control of recruitment and to select his own coaching staff and that would probably rule him out of contention for our coach.

I would be pleased if Brown was to take over from Mary at the end of this season.
There aren’t enough Gould threads already?

BLM01

First Grade
Or Brown..or Flanagan..or any potential Mary replacements
Lets save any new coaching threads till actually Mary is sacked.
Just getting hopes up for nothing

Frank Facer

First Grade
To my knowledge the other Gould threads were about him coming in as a football manager, similar to the job he had at Penrith. This thread is regarding him coaching us. He is definitely one of if not the best credentialed coach, not coaching right now. Whether he is interested in coaching an NRL team is another question. He has a very secure job at channel Nine right now and I doubt he would be interested in giving that up to coach any NRL team. I only brought it up after Mark Geyer suggested Newcastle sign Gould to coach them.

SBD82

Coach
To my knowledge the other Gould threads were about him coming in as a football manager, similar to the job he had at Penrith. This thread is regarding him coaching us. He is definitely one of if not the best credentialed coach, not coaching right now. Whether he is interested in coaching an NRL team is another question. He has a very secure job at channel Nine right now and I doubt he would be interested in giving that up to coach any NRL team. I only brought it up after Mark Geyer suggested Newcastle sign Gould to coach them.
Forgive me frank. I’m just f**king irritable. More and more it looks like we will be stuck with Mary again next year. And all the threads in the world won’t make the tiniest difference.

possm

Coach
There is a current Foxsports article with Mark Geyer suggesting that Newcastle should sign Gould to coach them next year. Whether he would accept the job is another story. It got me thinking that Gould could be an option for us too. He did grow up being a Saints fan. He is very well connected. He is a premiership winning coach and origin winning coach.

I have previously stated that it would be a good move to have Gould appointed as football manager/director and initially take on the duties of head coach until a replacement for Mary is found.

hazzbeen

Bench
Noone , and his brother somebloke , and his cousin sometimesoon that related to someone is some merkin's nephew .... Are all coming to Coach ....

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Before we link every coach to Saints shouldn't we wait for Mary to get the boot? That won't happen for at least 2 years so these posts are really a fantasy. Alot will happen in 2 years and the way Saints are they will probably re-sign him again for another 2 years in 2021.

The calm one

Juniors
Forgive me frank. I’m just f**king irritable. More and more it looks like we will be stuck with Mary again next year. And all the threads in the world won’t make the tiniest difference.
Paul will coach us next year. No Gould is coming here

draco

Juniors
Paul will coach us next year. No Gould is coming here
Tco. As it seems you have definitive knowledge on the coaching situation for next year, could you enlighten us as to what is happening with the assistant coaches ie new appointments or are Hornby and Young also safe in their roles at the Dragons?

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Before we link every coach to Saints shouldn't we wait for Mary to get the boot? That won't happen for at least 2 years so these posts are really a fantasy. Alot will happen in 2 years and the way Saints are they will probably re-sign him again for another 2 years in 2021.
Yeah and Aitken will still be in 1st Grade

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Aitken will be a gun don't you worry but under a better coach. He will come back to bite Saints. I feel for him because he is only playing bad because he is probably the only one following Mary's instructions.

TruSaint

Referee
Aitken will be a gun don't you worry but under a better coach. He will come back to bite Saints. I feel for him because he is only playing bad because he is probably the only one following Mary's instructions.

Respectfully disagree.

He has had 5 years, over 100 games to show his stuff. Players have been dropped after 1-2 bad games in their first year. He may improve under another coach, heck anyone would, but he wont be a " gun ".