What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Graham Murray

bartman

Immortal
Very sad news, way too young to have two heart attacks resulting in his support being switched off :(.

Muzza was my math teacher and coach in high school. If I remember correctly he was coaching Balmain reserve grade at the time and he left us to go coach Illawarra. Good bloke.

emjaycee

Coach
One of the main reasons I follow Parra today.
stay strong Muzza and thoughts are with you and family.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Way to young.

img_0700.jpg

emjaycee

Coach
Saddened to hear the news.

This link shows he was never one to back down and i am sure he gave it his all in recent times.

RIP.

Jason70

Juniors
I'm old enough to remember him as a player and had it not been for a bloke called Sterling he would have played many more first grade games for Parramatta. In 1978 Graham Murray was good enough to keep John Kolc out of first grade who had played for Australia the year before.

As a coach he achieved much. Just in Australia he was the first coach to get Illawarra to the semi-finals in 1992 and was narrowly beaten by St.George in the preliminary final. In 2000 he got the Roosters to their first grand final in 20 years and if it weren't for a red hot Broncos team, would have won his first NRL flag. In 04 he steered the Cowboys to their first preliminary final and in 05 Cowboys made the grand final. In 06 an act of unvelievable luck saw NSW get pipped at the post in the decider by QLD in SOO 3, the beginning of an unbelievable run by QLD. In addition to this he achieved a flag for Leeds in England in the late 90's.

Graham Murray made an unbelievable contribution to the game as both a coach and player.

Nicknamed "Little Artie" after the great Arthur Beetson, it's ironic that both passed from the same cause.

parra pete

Referee
From memory, I think "Little Artie" (aka Graham Murray) was the first player to receive a 10 rating by RLW ...(It was either him or Geoff Foster...both got 10s but I am not sure who was the first)..I didn't know Graham personally, but my brother coached him at Schoolboy representative level and he ALWAYS had kind words to say about Graham Murray the man.
But I did know Arthur though, and to have the tag "Lil Artie" is a huge tribute to Graham as both a player and a person. RIP Muzza..

Stagger eel

Staff member
It would be wonderful if the club can organize a couple of muzz's ex team mates to raise the flag on behalf of him on Saturday night prior to our game against manly...

parra pete

Referee
It would be wonderful if the club can organize a couple of muzz's ex team mates to raise the flag on behalf of him on Saturday night prior to our game against manly...

Well said Stagger.
I lost two great mates in the past seven days, blokes whom I played football with, and blokes who are absolute legends of the Club, and bushies to the bootstrap.
It will be a very emotional week for the people of Hay.
I hope Wally and Mick catch up with Muzza on the other side. They all were great contributors to making the game more enjoyable, and fun to be involved with.
RIP...Graham Murray, Wally McGufficke, and Mick Huntly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eblyTt9FV0o....Mick Huntly passed away Monday July 28. Absolute champion and one very tough bloke. His brother Simon, coached St Gregs and also Australian Schoolboys...

Last edited:

Latest posts