What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday GRAND FINAL 2/10/22: PARRAMATTA EELS v Penrith Panthers

Chipmunk

Coach
I still find the rise of the Panthers to be inexplicable. Look at this team list from 2019 that lost to the Cowboys who came 14th (they finished 10th themselves).

The core of their current side is mostly there. Edwards, Crichton, To’o, Cleary, Fisher-Harris, Kikau, Martin, Yeo. They even had RCG on the bench! Whatever they did in the off season before 2020 is some kind of voodoo transformation.
They were 5th in 2018 though, and well entrenched inside the Top 4 when Gus sacked the coach.

They had some off field drama I recall and struggled in 2019.

They've hardly lost a game in 3 seasons. When they've been at full strength, half their losses have probably been to us.

There are some similarities on why that squad was losing back then and why the Cowboys were ordinary last year. Those guys at the Panthers still aren't that old.

Edit - Actually they've lost 5 games at or near full strength in 3 seasons. 3 times to us, once in the GF to Storm and once in first week of Finals last year. We're the only team to beat them at near full strength in a regular season game.

It's an astonishing record to be honest. For both them and us.

Last edited:

lucablight

First Grade
They were 5th in 2018 though, and well entrenched inside the Top 4 when Gus sacked the coach.

They've hardly lost a game in 3 seasons. When they've been at full strength, half their losses have probably been to us.

There are some similarities on why that squad was losing back then and why the Cowboys were ordinary last year. Those guys at the Panthers still aren't that old.

Edit - Actually they've lost 5 games at or near full strength in 3 seasons. 3 times to us, once in the GF to Storm and once in first week of Finals last year. We're the only team to beat them at near full strength in a regular season game.

If we beat them then those records will be greatly diminished since they’ll have the same number of premierships as us during this dominant period.

hindy111

Post Whore
I saw a headline from I.Cleary that Parra don't have the Mental Edge. I thought for a mind game, it's a pretty bad one. It's like Penrith are celebrating already, High St parade is ready.

March from.High St to Panthers and Kebab on the way.

We win and I reckon something getting burned down. 🔥

hindy111

Post Whore
Ivan Cleary was more than respectful. We all are. I think most fair minded Panthers fans respect what you guys have achieved to get to the GF. The game itself, I don’t really want to think about it, no point expending more nervous energy this early In the week.

My dream is 13-12 in extra time. Gutherson kicks the winning field goal.

hindy111

Post Whore

People say they'll loose Kikau and Korisau and drop off. But they won all 3 lower grades. I honestly don't think they will drop off for 7 or 8yrs.
So many of those young players are not in peak yet.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
API is almost their important player, they looked very clunky those first 20 mins before he came on. Kenny is a good defender but his service is average. And more pressure on Cleary’s kicking game please FFS!!

hindy111

Post Whore
API is almost their important player, they looked very clunky those first 20 mins before he came on. Kenny is a good defender but his service is average. And more pressure on Cleary’s kicking game please FFS!!

Yeah I don't know about that being the reason. They've all barely played in a month. Nathan 2 games in 2 mths. I reckon they where clunky cause had not warmed up. And let's be honest 2 of those disallowed tries where poor calls.
Should of been 12 all before Api come on. Penrith could of hit 50 on Saturday night with some different reffing.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yeah I don't know about that being the reason. They've all barely played in a month. Nathan 2 games in 2 mths. I reckon they where clunky cause had not warmed up. And let's be honest 2 of those disallowed tries where poor calls.
Should of been 12 all before Api come on. Penrith could of hit 50 on Saturday night with some different reffing.
Maybe, but they had a few nothing sets in that first 20 before Api came on. Once they got into the groove they looked scary good like they did to us in that first final.

Sphagnum

Coach
Koroisau seems to have made a huge difference. It’ll be interesting to see if they miss him next season. Capewell and Burton aren’t there anymore and they haven’t missed a beat. Maloney isn’t a bad replacement for Luai but he’s defensively weaker.
They are going to miss Api a lot. He is the glue that holds the whole juggernaught together. Criminally under rated player.

Should be the first bloke spoken about in every opposition game briefing and either he isn’t or no team has really come up with a way to effectively nullify him.

The gulf between him and the other hookers is enormous.

hindy111

Post Whore
They are going to miss Api a lot. He is the glue that holds the whole juggernaught together. Criminally under rated player.

Should be the first bloke spoken about in every opposition game briefing and either he isn’t or no team has really come up with a way to effectively nullify him.

The gulf between him and the other hookers is enormous.

We need to take him out.

Gronk

Staff member
I don’t think I have seen Mike Eden post anything ever about the eels before.

#bandwagon

BA2AD03A-4710-4728-A0ED-7FB69AD39528.jpeg

IFR33K

Coach
Ivan Cleary was more than respectful. We all are. I think most fair minded Panthers fans respect what you guys have achieved to get to the GF. The game itself, I don’t really want to think about it, no point expending more nervous energy this early In the week.

Why not. Think of all the nervous wanks. :)