What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GRAND FINAL: Parramatta v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD at Accor 2/10/22

JokerEel

First Grade
Credit to the panthers they wanted it more. I honestly believe the two teams cancel each other out on talent. But what they had more of was the want and desire. They were motivated. The kick chase was disgraceful and all those 1 percenters comes downs to being up for the game. Not looking for trick shots on the first tackle

Our kick chase has been shit all year.

Last night Gutho was kicking off down the middle of the field which stuffed our defence.

He also decided to try some tricks with drop outs.

Yea I kept hoping he'll go for the underdog theme. He decided not to, Man is too simple and nice.
He’s got this loyalty thing going on whilst admirable won’t work. He’s probably thinking the team will lift for him. He’s not ruthless enough.
i still think we are at the beginning of our journey as top 4 club atm. I know we have been at it for a while but we really did start allll the way from the bottom.

i think this team will be a top 4 team again next year with a shot to make another GF. hopefully we take the lessons of this experience and grow from it. Melborune, Penrith, Manly, Roosters have all been through the same experiences as we have last night. its not time to throw everything out the window like we did after 09 or what the Blues did during that qlds dynasty.

Keep building, keep growing and keep going boys.
I disagree but I hope you are right.

JokerEel

First Grade
Hopgood, Rodwell, El Zakham?

there is going to be some fresh faces in the forward pack next year. might be a good thing

Hopgood is going to be good unless our coaches decide to change his style and mentality.

Rodwell can go he hasn't shown me anything and El Zakham is fine at cup but I doubt he makes the step up.

The Club should get go for someone like Eddie Blacker from the Panthers as well as Soni Luke as a hooker option.

Our kick chase has been shit all year.

Last night Gutho was kicking off down the middle of the field which stuffed our defence.

He also decided to try some tricks with drop outs.
I agree. You would have thought that the kick chase would be such a basic thing to nail down for any good first grade team. It’s the small detail things that show how much you really want it.

Gronk

Staff member
we had an excellent season.
Indeed if the team worked out early on that you have to be Penrith ruthless every single game, we would not have lost the Sharks and Tigers games in the death and the didn’t-turn-up Bulldogs and Broncos games. That would have put us as equal with Penrith on 42 points and prolly missing out on the minor premiership only by differential +/-.

Hopgood is going to be good unless our coaches decide to change his style and mentality.

Rodwell can go he hasn't shown me anything and El Zakham is fine at cup but I doubt he makes the step up.

The Club should get go for someone like Eddie Blacker from the Panthers as well as Soni Luke as a hooker option.
I’d be sending all our scouts to Penrith with contracts. What they algae done is amazing, never seen a club so strong in every grade. The culture and the mentality throughout every grade is amazing. Not to mention the freaking talent.

Avenger

Immortal
I’d be sending all our scouts to Penrith with contracts. What they algae done is amazing, never seen a club so strong in every grade. The culture and the mentality throughout every grade is amazing. Not to mention the freaking talent.
It’s hard to hate them. They are class. Besides a couple of dickheads that I can’t cop. Luai and Crichton I’d can’t stand but I’d probably put up with them at my club and forgive them for their antics.

the phantom menace

First Grade
I expect Soni Luke becomes first choice hooker at Panthers next year with Apis departure, an unlikely to give that spot up easily (or cheaply) in the future.

Parra

Referee
Indeed if the team worked out early on that you have to be Penrith ruthless every single game, we would not have lost the Sharks and Tigers games in the death and the didn’t-turn-up Bulldogs and Broncos games. That would have put us as equal with Penrith on 42 points and prolly missing out on the minor premiership only by differential +/-.

They also got awarded a try that is pulled back every other week and we dropped the ball over the line. Closer than we had any right to be given the flow of the game and the dominance of Penrith. Throw in a couple of questionable calls that did not go our way.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It’s hard to hate them. They are class. Besides a couple of dickheads that I can’t cop. Luai and Crichton I’d can’t stand but I’d probably put up with them at my club and forgive them for their antics.

I envy them. I don't hate them.

Though I do dislike Luai, because he's a grub, and I find him irritating.

But the club has put a lot of time, and resources, into getting where they are now, and you have to respect that.

DaveMc

Juniors
We need to somehow make it back in 2-3 years to capitalise this experience and take what we learned into another Grand Final.

As a fan I was happy to make it. It's been a weird stop start season. Never losing more than 1, never winning more than 3. A mixed bag of ugly losses and some good wins.

Don't expect the players to have thought that though. A lot of those guys won't get another chance at a championship.

Most disappointing was the game being pretty much over after 30 minutes. Thought we could take them well into the second half at least.

Not sure we'll make it back next year, but who knows.
Wouldn't be extending BA right now either. See what next year brings first and keep options open.
Edit: replied to wrong comment.

DaveMc

Juniors
I must say before the game I got to the Locker Room around 2pm with some mates and had some beers.

It was amazing to see the Blue and Gold army in force. All types of Parra jerseys from Retro 1980s to 1990s, 2000s Asics jersey, indigenous Jersey's, Anzac Jersey's, 9s Jersey's.

Considering the hardships between 2009 and yesterday.

To sit and soak it all in was an awesome atmosphere before the game as there times I didn't think we could get back to a GF with some of the seasons and dramas we had in the past decade and while we didn't win.

The one thing Penrith will never match is the number of Eels fans in this universe. We have the best fans in the planet no matter how the team is going and stuff what the rest of the teams think of us.
I thought the same. Parramatta CBD was buzzing during the day, and the support at the stadium was immense.

I’ve just been to the stadium for the reception this morning, and again, big turnout for a losing GF. Most of the boys looked, unsurprisingly, like they’ve had a big night. I thought RCG might have a chunder on the field.

If we ever do jag a premiership, it’ll be an insane party afterwards.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I thought the same. Parramatta CBD was buzzing during the day, and the support at the stadium was immense.

I’ve just been to the stadium for the reception this morning, and again, big turnout for a losing GF. Most of the boys looked, unsurprisingly, like they’ve had a big night. I thought RCG might have a chunder on the field.

If we ever do jag a premiership, it’ll be an insane party afterwards.
Good on ya mate.

I was too devastated to go this morning didn't get home until 11:30 last night.

Chipmunk

Coach
Penrith got blown away in there 1st GF in 2020 against Melbourne.

Forget what Gus says that Penrith were the better team.

They were deer in the headlights were down 22-0 at HT and 26-0 during the 2nd half.

It happens especially when a lack of GF experience comes up against a side with plenty.

Just need to get back there in the next year or two and not wait another for another generation to come through and go through the same things again.
There was a lot of similarities with the 2020 GF, hopefully we come back stronger from this.

Latest posts