What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand final predictions.

legend

Coach
I know we are still four weeks out from the finals but I will have a crack at a grand final prediction.

My prediction is a Raiders v Bulldogs grand final.

I know most people are predicting it will be the Roosters v Bulldogs but games like these rarely come to fruition.

In the early 90's everyone wanted to see a Brisbane v Canberra grand final and it never eventuated. In 2001 I wanted to see a Parra v Dogs and last year a Roosters v Bulldogs grand final but we never got either of them. Something unpredictable usually happens to rob us of the most logical choices. I think the same thing will happen this year.

salivor

First Grade
I think the Roosters and Bulldogs are now looking at very good odds to finish 1 and 2. They'll easily win their first up finals matches and advance through to the major semi finals. Their challengers for a Grand Final spot will be out of Brisbane, Canberra and Penrith, all of whom I can't see winning.

Roosters v Bulldogs grand final.

roopy

Referee
salivor said:
They'll easily win their first up finals matches.

One of them will probably play Newcastle and the other might well play Saints. If they show up thinking they will easily win, they could easily both go down.

salivor

First Grade
The Knights have actually got to make the finals which is still in doubt. Their possible opponents are out of the Storm, Warriors, Eels, Knights and Dragons and out of those sides I'd only back the Dragons to pull off an upset against the Roosters or Bulldogs.

RoostarGirl

Juniors
roopy said:
salivor said:
They'll easily win their first up finals matches.

One of them will probably play Newcastle and the other might well play Saints. If they show up thinking they will easily win, they could easily both go down.

Yeah but if Roosters or Dogs lose their 1st Match against 7 or 8 then they have another crack anyway thats the beauty of finishing 1 and 2.

In all honestly even if either of the Roosters or Dogs lose that 1st up match I bet the next post would be a winner...if you know what I am saying.

I agree a Roosters v Bulldogs Grand Final.

Roosters will win minor Premiership.

Sorry LEGEND I know how much you hate the Roosters.............

roopy

Referee
salivor said:
The Knights have actually got to make the finals which is still in doubt. Their possible opponents are out of the Storm, Warriors, Eels, Knights and Dragons and out of those sides I'd only back the Dragons to pull off an upset against the Roosters or Bulldogs.
Bronco,
The Knights put on the best display of attacking football seen this year last night. 48-0 at halftime.
They took Johns, Kennedy, Parsons and Perry off when the score was 60-6 and the reserves couldn't keep the momentum going, which means the cowboys were able to make it a bit respectable by putting on some points in the last 20 minutes, but the first 60 minutes was enough to prove that the Knights are back. The Warriors are in trouble next week.

salivor

First Grade
LOL Roopy, I did watch the match and the Cowboys were absolutely woeful. Some of those tries were just plain soft, the Perry and Johns tries in particular. I wouldn't be putting too much stock in that performance.

Defence is what matters and the Knights are as useless as tits on a bull in that area compared to the Bulldogs and Roosters.

legend

Coach
I wouldn't get too carried away with that result. I did the live update and while the Knights were good, the Cowboys played easily the worst half of football I have ever seen. The Knights tries mostly came from soft defence on the Cowboys line and it is highly possible the Knights will have to rely on results of other matches to get them across the line.

Also, the Knights have a poor record away from home so if they finish seventh or eighth I think they are gone.

They still have the Warriors at home and the Raiders and Dragons away. The Knights are by no means across the line in any of them and if they drop the two away games I don't think they will make it.

roopy

Referee
legend said:
I wouldn't get too carried away with that result. I did the live update and while the Knights were good, the Cowboys played easily the worst half of football I have ever seen. The Knights tries mostly came from soft defence on the Cowboys line and it is highly possible the Knights will have to rely on results of other matches to get them across the line.

Also, the Knights have a poor record away from home so if they finish seventh or eighth I think they are gone.

They still have the Warriors at home and the Raiders and Dragons away. The Knights are by no means across the line in any of them and if they drop the two away games I don't think they will make it.

Our bench is a bit soft at the moment, but we have Woolnough, Price, Hall and Tahu back next week and O'davis back in about three weeks.
The Knights have only just started to build up. They will play better every week from now on, and anyone writing off the Knights has a very short memory.

salivor

First Grade
Get off it Roopy, in 2001 they won the comp after finishing 3rd. Its near impossible to win the comp under the McIntre system from 7th or 8th. Just ask Newcastle themselves as in 99 when they finished 7th they were knocked out first week of the finals.

Zef

Juniors
I don't believe GF opponents can possibly be picked. For instance - either The Dogs (99% near-certainties) or The Roosters (1% outsiders) will win this years Premiership.

But even though it's now down to a two-horse race, you can't say they'll meet in The GF because they may run across each other earlier in the semi's (which means The Dogs will just have to take care of business a little earlier than they'd like.)

So all that can be with absolute certainty, is that either The Dogs or Roosters will be one team in the GF.

Don't get me wrong - I like everyone else would absolutely love a Dog v Roosters GF, but the mind of Mr Mcintyre may make it impossible.

RoostarGirl

Juniors
Zef said:
I don't believe GF opponents can possibly be picked. For instance - either The Dogs (99% near-certainties) or The Roosters (1% outsiders) will win this years Premiership.

But even though it's now down to a two-horse race, you can't say they'll meet in The GF because they may run across each other earlier in the semi's (which means The Dogs will just have to take care of business a little earlier than they'd like.)

So all that can be with absolute certainty, is that either The Dogs or Roosters will be one team in the GF.

Don't get me wrong - I like everyone else would absolutely love a Dog v Roosters GF, but the mind of Mr Mcintyre may make it impossible.

Zef your wrong it is not impossible for a Rooster V Bulldogs Grand Final and this is how.

They finish 1st and 2nd.

They both win the first matches against 7 & 8.

Then they both get the week off.............then their opponents are nomally decided between teams ranked 3-6.

The winners of Round 2 (normally 3-6) of the Finals then play the Winners of Round 1 which should/could be both the Roosters and the Dogs.

Then the winners of those matches meet in the Grand Final.

So on the basis that Bulldogs and Roosters finish 1 and 2 and win the 1st semi final, have a week off each and then win the 3rd Semi then they meet for a grand final SHOW DOWN.

Complicated but it can happen if they finish 1 and 2 and then win - win.

Zef

Juniors
RoostarGirl said:
Zef your wrong it is not impossible for a Rooster V Bulldogs Grand Final and this is how.

I didn't mean impossible to happen, I mean impossible to predict - with any confidence. For instance one of them may finish 3rd - then how many combo's do you have? They may end up playing week 2 or 3 knockout.

Or you lot may not win another game and finish eight - and we'll have to put you'se to the sword in week one.

~bedsy~

First Grade
I'm going for the Rooster and the Panthers.
I would love to see the Knights come back..... but I doubt it very much. :cry:

melon....

Coach
Zef said:

After all it was anothe McYntire that made it possible for you to win the spoon in 2002. Beautiful.

I love the way your team is already in the Grad Final. "You'se" havent won a semi this century, but your certainties for 2002!!! LOL.

Melon's prdiction.....Bulldogs goooooorn....you can quote me.

Zef

Juniors
melon.... said:
but your certainties for 2002!!! LOL.

Freudian slip there Melon?......

Anyway, I know what you meant. And no, not certainies - high 90%. But if not us, it'll be your rabble.

That should give you some hope.

melon....

Coach
Zef said:
melon.... said:
but your certainties for 2002!!! LOL.

Freudian slip there Melon?......

Anyway, I know what you meant. And no, not certainies - high 90%. But if not us, it'll be your rabble.

That should give you some hope.
Which leaves about 3 or 4% for error, right Zef?

Zef

Juniors
melon.... said:
Which leaves about 3 or 4% for error, right Zef?

Depends on how many Hughes's we trot out. It's a sliding scale - for the worse.

Balancing against this, in a Rooster v Dog scenario, is the entire Rooster forward pack - on a sliding scale.....

.... - for the worse.

INCOMING!!