What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand finalists in the NRL vs AFL for the last 21 Years....

mongoose

Coach
Should be comparing the Storm to other NRL clubs, in which they are in the top half for attendance and memberships, not to another code. The Lions are near the bottom of AFL clubs for attendance and memberships.

There's 10 other AFL teams in Melbourne (and yes Geelong counts as they play games in Melbourne).

All those AwFuL clubs have higher attendances and memberships than the Storm, don't they?

The Lions are competing with exactly one NRL team.

When the Suns came into the competition the Lions crowds and membership numbers dropped considerably because they switched allegiance to the new team. That's who the Lions are competing with for fans.

Are you really this dumb?

The Storm's home crowds are better than NINE other NRL clubs, why are they held to a higher standard than most of the NRL by a deadshit like you?

https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/2019.html

1. They're located in the heart of the self-proclaimed "sporting capital of the world", known for watching sport in large numbers.
  2. The Melbourne Victory soccer club, playing in a third rate league, have far more supporters, despite having other soccer clubs competing with them for supporters.
  3. Storm don't have any competition from other NRL clubs. Sydney clubs do.
  4. Most of the Storm's support comes from Brisbane, FFS! That's not what they were created for.
And why do you keep dredging up the Cap stuff, like it's relevant to anything related to the current owners(who aren't News) and has anything to do with a club being in an expansion area.

The club has got a history of cheating, both on the field and off it.

What's this "expansion area" BS you keep bringing up?

If a team cannot compete without cheating and extra funding for 20 years then it shouldn't be in the competition, especially while viable candidates are on the sidelines waiting for inclusion.

The value of exposure, corporate sponsors, fan expansion and TV dollars far outweighs the tiny cost.
You've been shown before that the only value the Storm bring to the table is through their strong supporter base in southeast Queensland, which allow their games to rate well in a heartland market that is under served. Take that away and they wouldn't be worth shit to the broadcasters. So even with regards to fan support, they're dependant on RL heartland. Ironic, isn't it!
It's embarrassing that an insular bogan like you is a fellow Cowboys fan.
How old are you?

12?

Is that also your IQ?

That's how stupid and immature you come across with your mangled English and poor understanding of RL history. You calling another person a "bogan" is the biggest laugh of all. You make silly schoolyard insults because you don't have anything intelligent to add to the conversation. Just like every "bogan" I've ever encountered.

Reflector

Juniors
I have no issue with the Storm being successful, per se. If they'd recruited well (within the rules) and had a team with more players like Fox, Papenheuzen, Richie Swain and Marcus Bai then I'd be happy to see them win a comp or two.

The issue I (and evidently many on here and in the wider RL fanbase) have is how they've been successful. It either came through the wrong means or at the wrong time.

The_Frog

First Grade
Why hasn't Roosters, Eels, Bulldogs, Broncos etc etc been as successful as Storm
Roosters have been as successful as Storm or damn close.

Eels and Bulldogs do not put sufficient effort into player development, preferring to go to the market. This will never bring sustained on-field success. Both have been guilty of short term attempts to buy success and the Dogs look to be going that way again.

Broncos are finals regulars outside this year but even so they have not done as well as they should with the resources at their disposal.

I have no issue with the Storm being successful, per se. If they'd recruited well (within the rules) and had a team with more players like Fox, Papenheuzen, Richie Swain and Marcus Bai then I'd be happy to see them win a comp or two.

The issue I (and evidently many on here and in the wider RL fanbase) have is how they've been successful. It either came through the wrong means or at the wrong time.
Great post.

I am not against Melbourne having a team of its own. What pisses me off about the Storm is their disregard for player welfare and "by any means necessary" mentality. Players have been forced into retirement due to the unethical tactics used by the Storm. McCracken was the first, followed by MacKinnon.

Can we add Ethan Lowe to the list?

His neck was severely injured in a 2016 final against Melbourne. He was never the same player afterwards. Melbourne really slowed down the ruck in that game, getting numbers in the tackle and focusing on the upper body. They were offside all night but never penalised.

It's also a myth that they have better recruitment than everyone else. Two of their current stars, B Smith and J Hughes were in the Cowboys system. So they had been spotted by another club, but were lured away by Melbourne. Hughes actually made his NRL debut for the Cowboys.

How on Earth did Melbourne lure them away from NQ when they had a long list of dummy halves and fullbacks ahead of them?

Neither player is playing in their preferred positions.

Generalzod

Immortal
Great post.

I am not against Melbourne having a team of its own. What pisses me off about the Storm is their disregard for player welfare and "by any means necessary" mentality. Players have been forced into retirement due to the unethical tactics used by the Storm. McCracken was the first, followed by MacKinnon.

Can we add Ethan Lowe to the list?

His neck was severely injured in a 2016 final against Melbourne. He was never the same player afterwards. Melbourne really slowed down the ruck in that game, getting numbers in the tackle and focusing on the upper body. They were offside all night but never penalised.

It's also a myth that they have better recruitment than everyone else. Two of their current stars, B Smith and J Hughes were in the Cowboys system. So they had been spotted by another club, but were lured away by Melbourne. Hughes actually made his NRL debut for the Cowboys.

How on Earth did Melbourne lure them away from NQ when they had a long list of dummy halves and fullbacks ahead of them?

It’s ironic that Perth was destroyed to allow Melbourne to exist I would have wanted a Perth team.

Played well in the Cowboys 2017 finals run. The McKinnon injury was more unfortunate than anything. They are credited with the crusher and the chicken wing, though.
His form was up and down in 2017, then went backwards in a big way in 2018. Never got back to where he was in 2015/16.

The MacKinnon tackle came about because there were players holding his arms against his body, then MacClean lifted his leg. Unfortunate yes, but a culmination of a spear and the slowing down technique that Melbourne mastered and use to great effect to prevent the offload and allow their line to reset itself before the next ruck.

It doesn't surprise me that they're now using the hiptoss tackle to injure players.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep the irony...

One of the reasons I chose them in '99 was because they took over a load of Reds players, Jnrs and staff, and I want the game to grow beyond its historical confines.
Storm weren't responsible for the demise of the Reds. That was on ARL and News Ltd heads.

Generalzod

Immortal
One of the reasons I chose them in '99 was because they took over a load of Reds players, Jnrs and staff, and I want the game to grow beyond its historical confines.
Storm weren't responsible for the demise of the Reds. That was on ARL and News Ltd heads.
Who created the Storm the same organisation that destroyed the Reds, like I said before I would rather see a Perth team than a Melbourne team in the comp..

mongoose

Coach

so f**king what? Every club takes players away from other clubs. We grabbed Tapine, Young and Starling all from the Newcastle system and we have turned them into great players.
Hughes and B Smith weren't anybodies when the Storm took them.

I hate the storm , with a passion , but respect their success , they got it right from day one.
Just because Melbournians haven't embraced them the same way the Swans & Lions have been by sports fans in their home cities means nothing. It says more about them then the Storm.

A massive migration of Victorians to SE Qld certainly & Sydney to a lesser extent took place in the early 80's & still plays a huge factor in game day attendances for both sides.
Nothing like that in Melb for the Storm.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Grow the game where it’s popular quite simple economics really...

Never heard of new market acquisition? You think McDondalds said, 'lets just stay in America as shtty hamburgers are popular here'?
Reality is the game isnt really growing where it is popular. Its been static in pretty much every key indicator for twenty years in its heartlands. If you want to grow the game you need to make it popular in new markets.