What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Finals We Didn't Get to See

Springs09

Juniors
Following on from the great club sides thread, many people bemoan the fact we never got to see a GF in the early 90s of Brisbane v Canberra. What are some other GFs (or any match-ups) that we never got to see? Many Grand Finals don't end up being the best two sides, especially in the old McIntyre 8 era.

I'm disappointed that the great Brisbane and Newcastle sides of 1997-2001 never met in a GF. They were always one game off and we never got the satisfaction of seeing SL v ARL.

Others I can think of include Eels v Dragons or Eels v Tigers in 2005, Eels and Dragons were electric that year and although it probably wouldn't have topped the Tigers run it was disappointing we didn't see them in a big game. Also would have been more satisfying seeing the Tigers beat the minor premiers in the GF, rather than 5th.

Also missing out on Souths v Roosters in 2013-14 and even this year.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Brisbane V Raiders somewhere from 91-96 would have been amazing

A couple you mention the Prelim Final felt more like the Grand Final then the actual GF. Dragons/Tigers in 2010 and Rabbits/Roosters in 2014 stand out to me. Winner of those games was always going to win the comp.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Dragons/Tigers in 2010 and Rabbits/Roosters in 2013 stand out to me.

It appeared we were going to get Rabbits/Roosters for the 2013 GF before the Sea Eagles spoiled South Sydney's party in the second half of the prelim. I can't fault Manly who really did a good job in that second half, but as a neutral it was a shame we didn't get to see those two traditional rivals go head to head.

The Prelim between Sydney and Souths happened in 2014.

Brisbane/Newcastle in 2000 - '98 was a contender as well, but there was always this feeling that the Knights were over-achieving given the fall-out of the drug scandal. Two years on, the Knights were in better shape and the Broncos were somehow just as dominant as the '98 counterpart. Both clubs had a tremendous rivalry from 98-06 and that would have been a sweet capper.

Sydney/Newcastle in 2002 - As soon as Joey injured his back against St George Illawarra, the premiership race was well and truly open with Sydney just so happening being the form team in the competition. I'd like to imagine a scenario where Joey remains fit and we get Joey vs Freddy in a GF setting. Two of the most talented players going head to head, it would have been one for the history books.

Wests/Parramatta is a contender since it would have been cool to see the Tigers run through every team before winning the premiership, but I liked the Wests/Cowboys GF. It highlighted how unpredictable the season was and it was great to see guys like Benji Marshall and Johnathan Thurston on the big stage.

One that was before my time but Manly/Norths in 96 stands out as another missed opportunity. If North Sydney were ever going to challenge for a title, it was '96 and Manly from 95-97 were one of the most dominant teams of the 90s. Manly still win, but it would have been nice to see Norths give it an honest crack.

Diesel

Coach
Manly v Canberra 95 would’ve been good.
Manly decided to play their worse game of 95 in the GF while the Raiders forgot to turn up.

I’d also add Brisbane vs Illawarra in 92 or Canberra vs Brisbane in 93 if Ricky Stuart didn’t break his leg before the finals. Canberra that year in the finals made the 99 Magpies looks competitive

Tommy Smith

Referee
Others I can think of include Eels v Dragons or Eels v Tigers in 2005, Eels and Dragons were electric that year and although it probably wouldn't have topped the Tigers run it was disappointing we didn't see them in a big game. Also would have been more satisfying seeing the Tigers beat the minor premiers in the GF, rather than 5th.
I disagree because it's not like the Eels suffered a crucial injury and lost by 2pts in the Prelim.

They were hosed 29 nil at home by the Cowboys who themselves had 50 put on them two weeks prior.

So it's definitely not comparable to, say, the 1993 Raiders who lost Ricky Stuart on the eve of the finals.

firechild

First Grade
Manly v Brisbane mid 90s. People go on about how good Brisbane were in the 90s but Manly had a pretty special team too. 3 consecutive minor premierships, most notably the 2 in 95-96 when the likes of Brisbane, Canberra, Canterbury, Norths, Newcastle, Cronulla and St George were all at their peaks.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The Prelim between Sydney and Souths
One that was before my time but Manly/Norths in 96 stands out as another missed opportunity. If North Sydney were ever going to challenge for a title, it was '96 and Manly from 95-97 were one of the most dominant teams of the 90s. Manly still win, but it would have been nice to see Norths give it an honest crack.

Whilst Saints went on a run in 96, both the Roosters and then the Bears definitely shit the bed against cthem.

Bigger one was the following year.both games were crackers but IMO the Roosters should have beaten Manly (Dale Shearer dropping the ball with the line wide open in the dying minutes when down by 1) then the Bears really should have done the Knights (Darren alberts insane try saver).

Springs09

Juniors
I disagree because it's not like the Eels suffered a crucial injury and lost by 2pts in the Prelim.

They were hosed 29 nil at home by the Cowboys who themselves had 50 put on them two weeks prior.

So it's definitely not comparable to, say, the 1993 Raiders who lost Ricky Stuart on the eve of the finals.

Yes but I'm not talking about what GFs that should have been, I'm talking about what I would have liked to see. I would have liked to see Eels v Tigers in 2005 as I think they were far and away the most entertaining teams of the year.

It's the same with Souths v Roosters in 2013-14. Neither side had a crucial injury or anything, they just choked. Souths v Manly in 2013 and Roosters v Penrith in 2014. Neither side deserved to make the GF after that but Souths v Roosters in either year would have been so much better than Roosters v Manly or Souths v Dogs.

Big Pete

Referee
Manly v Brisbane mid 90s. People go on about how good Brisbane were in the 90s but Manly had a pretty special team too. 3 consecutive minor premierships, most notably the 2 in 95-96 when the likes of Brisbane, Canberra, Canterbury, Norths, Newcastle, Cronulla and St George were all at their peaks.

It's a shame the Broncos suffered so many injuries at the wrong time in '95, they certainly would have given a better account of themselves against Canberra and Canterbury otherwise.

I wouldn't consider the Broncos 95 or 96 side their peak. Both years saw a changing of the guard so while they were still there abouts, they weren't as cohesive as the 92 counterpart or as supreme as the 98 incarnation.

I'd imagine Raiders fans would share similar views of their 95 side. Still a strong side, but without Mal, just lacking that extra bit of class they once had.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Yes but I'm not talking about what GFs that should have been, I'm talking about what I would have liked to see. I would have liked to see Eels v Tigers in 2005 as I think they were far and away the most entertaining teams of the year.

It's the same with Souths v Roosters in 2013-14. Neither side had a crucial injury or anything, they just choked. Souths v Manly in 2013 and Roosters v Penrith in 2014. Neither side deserved to make the GF after that but Souths v Roosters in either year would have been so much better than Roosters v Manly or Souths v Dogs.
Fair points. The atmosphere at a Tigers/Eels/Dragons GF would have been immense.

Though I'd argue that Manly were a better side than Souths in 2013. They were a very good, seasoned side with class in key positions.

Also the 2013 GF is an underrated classic imo. Perhaps the best quality GF since 2003.

Big Pete

Referee
Perhaps the best quality GF since 2003.

Not sure about best quality, but certainly the most entertaining.

The issue I had with the game watching it back was how weak the Sea Eagles pack was. They were missing so many front row forwards and while the likes of Lawrence & Horo were decent bolters, they were always going to get out-shone on the biggest stage.

It didn't help that the Sea Eagles right edge was pretty awful. G. Stewart must have bust a rib in that opening play because he could barely run onto the ball. Everyone remembers how awful Wolfman was under the high ball and even Lyon had a poor game by his standards.

If the Roosters didn't make so unforced errors, the game would have been over at half-time.

TheDalek079

Bench
Fair points. The atmosphere at a Tigers/Eels/Dragons GF would have been immense.

Though I'd argue that Manly were a better side than Souths in 2013. They were a very good, seasoned side with class in key positions.

Also the 2013 GF is an underrated classic imo. Perhaps the best quality GF since 2003.

overall manly were better than souths in 2013. but with the rivalry between Easts and souffs, and both teams being at their best for a long time (Easts since Freddy, Souffs since '89? or 71?) that was the grand final we all wanted to see. Though the round 26 battle for the minor premiership was quite like a grand final (don't really think the 2014 prelim counts as being equivalent of a gf - easts limped into that game and always was going to get beat)

Rhino_NQ

Immortal

The eels has already won it at the start of that week. Remember Gordy saying he had to remind Nathan Hindmarsh there was still a game to finish out in front of him when he had an injured knee and overhead him say “I’m being rested for the gf”

King hit

Coach

I believe Norths would’ve been a shot if they met in 1997. They beat Manly 42-8 during that season and after the disappointment of 1996 they would’ve been as fired as anything to do it. Manly really missed Sedaris in the 97 grand final as they got thrown of their structures during that game which would’ve really helped Norths.

Real shame that the Bears never got to play in a grand final they had a class team but could never reach that final hurdle. They truly deserved it.

Latest posts