What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Finals & What They Meant To You...

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Will you follow someone in the future?

It isn't impossible but I've been following league for 30 years now without a loyalty to a particular club so probably not. I'd be supportive of the WA Pirates in the NRL and am very interested to see what they do wtih Brisbane 2 but I can't say that I'll be a devoted fan of either.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those of us who’ve seen their team both win & lose more than one Grand Final, we know the individual highs & lows of the results.

My question here is - is there one loss which hurt more than the rest? Is there one win which meant more than the others?

For myself as a Roosters fan, the best feeling was 2013. The worst was 2004.
Nothing the Wests Tigers do will ever make up for Balmain's 1989 loss.

Unless the club reverts back to Balmain and they beat Canberra in golden point in a Grand Final, thanks to a few dicey ref decisions going the Tigers way.

Dogs Of War

Coach
1995. Had a car accident. Bulldogs weren't going so well. But as I was recovering in hospitial they came good. Got out of hospital and watched them pound everybody. Really helped me focus on rehab.

2012 Grand final. So close, yet so far away. 2 teams playing as good as they could. Storm just that little bit better on the night. And also a reason I don't go to Bulldogs grand finals anymore. They seem to lose if I turn up.

Reflector

Juniors
Did you run a hot bath that night?

f**king gold :joy: that was the only time I’ve been to the grand final and it was so worth it. Got to climb the harbour bridge the next morning and it had a big Cronulla flag on the top.

It’s why the Cowboys fans will always take the rivalry so much more seriously. They hate the Broncos with a passion and love nothing more than beating them. So many Broncos fans see the Cowboys as their BFF and want them to win every game. I watched that grand final in the leagues club and there was this bloke there cheering every point scored waving a QLD flag and after the game he went on about how happy he was for the Cowboys and everybody should be proud and happy for the state.

f**k off

I went to that GF with some friends of mine (NQ fans). Those guys with the split jerseys were the worst, but barely a step above were the people wearing their Qld Origin jerseys. I really don't get how so many people up there are unable to distinguish State of Origin from the NRL?

I went to that GF with some friends of mine (NQ fans). Those guys with the split jerseys were the worst, but barely a step above were the people wearing their Qld Origin jerseys. I really don't get how so many people up there are unable to distinguish State of Origin from the NRL?

It’s sad how severe the chip on their shoulder is. They couldn’t stop talking up how all the best teams were from QLD, after they won the Origin & both Grand Finalists were from the north.

Compare that with twelve months earlier. NSW won the Origin, & the Minor Premiers & both Grand Finalists were from NSW. No one cared. We’re not that burdened by an inferiority complex.

Reflector

Juniors
It’s sad how severe the chip on their shoulder is. They couldn’t stop talking up how all the best teams were from QLD, after they won the Origin & both Grand Finalists were from the north.

Compare that with twelve months earlier. NSW won the Origin, & the Minor Premiers & both Grand Finalists were from NSW. No one cared. We’re not that burdened by an inferiority complex.

No, that's because NSW have no passion.

We don’t have passion...to overcome our big brother state. Probably because we are the big brother state.

They sure hate us. Don’t mind us keeping their economy in existence with our taxes, though.