What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grass roots

Skinner

Coach
Well, when we returned to NZ (Auckland) in 1991, there was only one gig in town, and that was the Northcote Tigers. They were in their halycion days then and I was lucky enough to live about 3 blocks away from Birkenhead War Memorial which is their home ground. We won Fox after Fox and life was good. I think, at some stage or another, I worked in almost every role possible for the club, and loved every minute of it. You moan, bitch and whinge about it but you keep going, because you love the club and you love the game.

As happens, we all move on and about 2003 I moved off to Auckland Rugby League as a member of the Senior Management Committee. I believed (and still do) that in that position you should not maintain affiliation with one club only, so it went from one club to thirty odd clubs.....oh joy. It was both frustrating and quite satisfying. Frustrating in that it was very difficult to get anything changed for the better, but satisfying in that you played a major part in helping to run grass roots footy in New Zealands strongest and most successful district league.

Grass roots footy will always be my greatest love, as that is where the NRL stars of tomorrow are nutured through.

MKEB...

Staff member
This week in Wellington...

Te Aroha 40 def St George 6
Upper Hutt 26 def Porirua 24
Randwick 70 def University 14
Wainuiomata 40 def Petone 22

Pts

Randwick 19
Porirua 19
Wainuiomata18
Upper Hutt 14
Te Aroha 12
University 10
Petone 8
St George 6

Huge surprise seeing Upper Hutt down Porirua. It doesnt get any easier this week seeing we have Randwick away. I think a quick train ride to Naenae might in order on Saturday.

Blair

Coach
Born in Porirua but grew up in the Manawatu and Hawkes Bay in the 70s and 80s where there was no rugby league. I repeat, no rugby league.

If there was a competition or game out somewhere no one knew about it. Manawatu won the NPC in 1980 and had eight All Blacks that year, add our Ranfurly Shield run in the late '70s, and my grandfather raving on about how good Hawkes Bay were back in the day, and rugby league struggled early on for me.

However, my old man was from the 'Coast, West Coast that is. Rugby League was in the blood and my uncle (Bernie Wood - name dropping) kept it real with his Autex Rugby League Annuals.

1983 Graham Lowe's Kiwis shocked the Kangaroos at Lang Park -live on TV -and the game took off from that point.

Also in 1983, a giant of a man called Frank Tinitilia (sp?) scored the 'try of the century' for Otahuhu in the Fox Memorial final - again live on TV (our game was gaining momentum) and they became my NZ club team.

Locally, I support the Katoomba Devils in the outer Sydney A-grade comp and try to head down and see them when they're at home. Last weekend we were away to Doonside - full of Polynesian lads (aged 15/16 and playing A-grade) and we got hammered. We have three Islanders in our side and two Maoris and for some reason they always go in especially hard when playing other Islanders/Maoris.

It's mighty entertainment.

Last edited:

MKEB...

Staff member
Woo hoo, Upper Hutt just beat the reigning premier Te Aroha eels 20 - 8 at Whakatiki St Park. fraser park next week v the loser of Wainui V Porirua

MKEB...

Staff member
Alright, Grand Final Wellington this weekend.

Wainuiomata Vs Randwick
Porirua Park 3:00

Should be a Ripper of a game. Slightly disappointing that although both teams are from the Hutt, the game is being played in Porirua. IMO it would have made more sense for it to be played at the Hutt recreation ground.

MKEB...

Staff member
WELLINGTON GRAND FINAL RESULTS

Premiers Randwick 34 def Wainuiomata 8
Reserves St George 26 def Randwick 18
Senior first Trentham 32 def Randwick 28
Senior second Porirua 30 def Petone 12

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Bit of a very large bump here fellas, but what is the current day state of Rugby League in your areas ?

I’ve watched a lot of club footy the last 4-5 years down here in Christchurch, and there has definitely been a bit of a drop off in standard and numbers. Pretty sad state of affairs last week when the once mighty Papanui Tigers went down 102-0 conceding 20 tries, and today they defaulted their premier side. Good to see a couple more sides stepping up this season though as in the last 6 years, 5 of the Grand Finals have been Linwood v Hornby, Linwood took 5 in a row before Hornby finally got them last year. Ex Warrior Corey Lawrie still plays for them and his son has come through into the team now as well

I worry about the state of the game in this country, The Kiwis haven’t played for a while and haven’t produced much when they were before that, and the Warriors aren’t performing and dragging excited youngsters into the game

The big plus for the game down here is that the CRL in the last couple of years have moved into their new complex after losing the Showgrounds where a lot of famous matches were played to Rugby. 4 fields there with a small stand and lights and it’s a great place to watch footy

B2E81818-7CF7-4F98-BD4A-D595A735317A.jpeg

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Bit of a very large bump here fellas, but what is the current day state of Rugby League in your areas ?

I’ve watched a lot of club footy the last 4-5 years down here in Christchurch, and there has definitely been a bit of a drop off in standard and numbers. Pretty sad state of affairs last week when the once mighty Papanui Tigers went down 102-0 conceding 20 tries, and today they defaulted their premier side. Good to see a couple more sides stepping up this season though as in the last 6 years, 5 of the Grand Finals have been Linwood v Hornby, Linwood took 5 in a row before Hornby finally got them last year. Ex Warrior Corey Lawrie still plays for them and his son has come through into the team now as well

I worry about the state of the game in this country, The Kiwis haven’t played for a while and haven’t produced much when they were before that, and the Warriors aren’t performing and dragging excited youngsters into the game

The big plus for the game down here is that the CRL in the last couple of years have moved into their new complex after losing the Showgrounds where a lot of famous matches were played to Rugby. 4 fields there with a small stand and lights and it’s a great place to watch footy

View attachment 61540
Will the CRL get the Showgrounds back when the new stadium is eventually built for Rugby?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Will the CRL get the Showgrounds back when the new stadium is eventually built for Rugby?
No there are firmly setup with the new facilities now, not sure what the plan is in regards to the Showgrounds but the way our useless council operates that’s probably 15 years away !!

Lancaster Park has just about returned to sporting fields with the Lancaster Park Woolston Cricket Club due to open their season their season there in October as the new tenants, not sure if winter sport will be played there but I imagine it will

Matua

Bench
I live in Marrickville these days so it’s an easy one for me, the mighty Newtown Jets!
Sydney Uni is probably my local grassroots team, although Glebe reformed a few years back so they're another option. Then it would be the Jets.

Blair

Coach
Local league is struggling here in the Upper Blue Mountains, NSW. We once had two teams, the Devils and Blackcats, great A-Grade footy, but they fell away for numbers in 2018. The Devils have announced a comeback but I'm yet to see it.

Where do the players come from now, with Sydney-siders gentrifying the joint? With a scourge of AirB'n'Bs to boot? Local footy is about community and I hardly recoqnise this place anymore.

Beave, I'll catch you at a Linwood game in July. I want to see that new complex. Well done to all behind it.

View attachment 61540
A lot of mates from school i went with were all connected to Linwood Keas. They have always had a good strong base.
I heard Papanui only got a team this season becos it was there 100th year.
Sheesh they were a strong club. Reps for Days

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
A lot of mates from school i went with were all connected to Linwood Keas. They have always had a good strong base.
I heard Papanui only got a team this season becos it was there 100th year.
Sheesh they were a strong club. Reps for Days

i played junior footy for the Keas as well

2014-2016 Papanui were really strong with huge backing from a motor company and Frank Endacotts son involved coaching. As soon as that money stopped they went backwards at a huge rate of knots. Halswell are on the way back up now which is great to see

i played junior footy for the Keas as well

2014-2016 Papanui were really strong with huge backing from a motor company and Frank Endacotts son involved coaching. As soon as that money stopped they went backwards at a huge rate of knots. Halswell are on the way back up now which is great to see
what years did you play??

Morrinsville never had a team, so closest I have is Kurri Kurri Bulldog!
Side note without hijacking post would things like Magic round, or say 25% of Warriors away games being playing around NZ in 2023-24 (so Aussie team has to take 1 home game to NZ in the next 2 years v Warriors) help with some grass roots?
NRL surely do not want the NZ talent pool to dry up to much.

Latest posts