What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

great britain centres

galea#13

Juniors
how old are gilmour and glesson they were brilliant centres heaps better then our girdlers and gidleys maybe not gasnier but they played brilliant great defence ran hard and made plenty of half breaks how secure are they with there clubs? ellis done well to and carney is still guna b a legend !!!

JasonE

Bench
Keith Senior is the number 1 centre, he's 27.
Martin Gleeson just turned 23, I've been screaming for his inclusion all series- he's a class act.
Lee Gilmour 25 is more of a utility player, can play backrow as well, I actually think his best spot is on the wing.
Ellis is 22 more of a backrower but equally as good in centres.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
galea#13 said:
how old are gilmour and glesson they were brilliant centres heaps better then our girdlers and gidleys maybe not gasnier but they played brilliant great defence ran hard and made plenty of half breaks how secure are they with there clubs? ellis done well to and carney is still guna b a legend !!!

Gleeson and Gilmour play for St Helens. Gilmour has just signed on a two year deal from Bradford and Gleeson was signed from Huddersfield two years ago and is on a longer term deal I think. Gleeson is a fine player, but has suffered this season from injury. He missed a large part of the season with a blood infection which required a large chunk of his leg to be removed. In his first season at Saints he was making breaks constantly, this season he hasn't had too much joy. His workrate is fabulous too, he made 40 tackles in one match this season from centre.

Gleeson played a lot of his junior rugby in Queensland apparantly before moving back to his native England.

JJ

Immortal
galea#13 said:

They looked allright - but you have to remember they were playing against Wing (a great player, but not a centre) and Devere ( a good club player).

I see no evidence to suggest that they are up with the very best (Lyon, Girlder, Vagana, Tate, maybe Gasnier). I'd think Senior and Gleeson would be in the next group - with the likes of Gidley, Gasnier, Toopi, Hannay, etc

JasonE

Bench
2001 Senior put it all over Lyon, got the better of Vagana in 2002 and was easily on top of the Australian centres this year.
Last year v NZ Gleeson had a great series and scored a try in every test, killed Australia a few weeks back for Eng A and looked classy yesterday everytime he had ball in hand.
Next rung is Martin Aspinwall, Stuart Reardon and Chev Walker, all 3 have immense potential, Chev played for England at 17yo.

In-goal

Bench
why must we always have knockers of young players from Britian.

Fielden was sensational as was Peacock, Scully started to show glimpses but was out of position.
Bailey will be exceptional especialy the way he destroyed the school boys last year, throw in another winger and R.Horne to fullback there is a wonderful side for a few years to come.

Believe me now next years Tri nations will make SOO look ordinary. Here is my GB side for next year with another season under the belt.

R.Horne
Carney
Gleeson
Senior
(Hopefuly Pryce realises he is a winger)
Thorman
Barrow, Robinson, Rooney
P.Sculthorpe
Morley
Peacock
Fielden
Cuningham/Newton(The kangaroos realy don't like his game)
Bailey

Now if you don't mind that is the best of the current and the new, which could take GB all the way.

JasonE

Bench
Very similiar to what I would have mate, For the 17 I'd add Nick Fozzard for his size, agression and go-foward which GB severely lacked, Danny Sclthorpe for his ball skills and toughness and Danny McGuire as the gamebreaker/matchwinner off the bench.
If Danny Orr and Lee Briers perform next year they will each stake a claim for the no.6 jersey.

JJ

Immortal
In-goal said:

Fielden was sensational as was Peacock, Scully started to show glimpses but was out of position.
Bailey will be exceptional especialy the way he destroyed the school boys last year, throw in another winger and R.Horne to fullback there is a wonderful side for a few years to come.

Believe me now next years Tri nations will make SOO look ordinary. Here is my GB side for next year with another season under the belt.

R.Horne
Carney
Gleeson
Senior
Thorman
Barrow, Robinson, Rooney
P.Sculthorpe
Morley
Peacock
Fielden
Bailey

Now if you don't mind that is the best of the current and the new, which could take GB all the way.

Who's knocking the Poms?? To be honest, they were ordinary. They were beaten by a very ordinary Australian team (look at what the Kiwi team did to them)

The tri-series might be interesting, but the fact remains that the last time the poms or us (kiwis) played a full strength Australian team we were both thrashed.

How can you recommend the selction of Newton?? Aside from the fact that he can't play, nobody likes his "game". He's a cheap shot merchant, plain and simple. If the officials had any guts, he would have got long suspensions for what he did in that series. the sport doesn't nees that rubbish, maybe that part of the problem in the English game - you think you can win (although with no evidence) by using filth. The Aussies got rid of Les Boyd a long time ago, to the great betterment of their game. The recent trend in the Kiwi sides has been the same - when we've beaten or competed with the Aussies it's been when we've concentrated on football, not thuggery. Indeed, we disposed very comfortably of the Aust B side that just beat you 3-0.

FOr all the talk of could have been, should have been, might have been etc etc from English fans in this forum, the series was 3-0 to Australia... a second rate Aust team at that - you have serious problems

Anonymous

Juniors
JJ said:
In-goal said:

R.Horne
Carney
Gleeson
Senior
Thorman
Barrow, Robinson, Rooney
P.Sculthorpe
Morley
Peacock
Fielden
Bailey

Who's knocking the Poms?? To be honest, they were ordinary. They were beaten by a very ordinary Australian team (look at what the Kiwi team did to them)

The tri-series might be interesting, but the fact remains that the last time the poms or us (kiwis) played a full strength Australian team we were both thrashed.

How can you recommend the selction of Newton?? Aside from the fact that he can't play, nobody likes his "game". He's a cheap shot merchant, plain and simple. If the officials had any guts, he would have got long suspensions for what he did in that series. the sport doesn't nees that rubbish, maybe that part of the problem in the English game - you think you can win (although with no evidence) by using filth. The Aussies got rid of Les Boyd a long time ago, to the great betterment of their game. The recent trend in the Kiwi sides has been the same - when we've beaten or competed with the Aussies it's been when we've concentrated on football, not thuggery. Indeed, we disposed very comfortably of the Aust B side that just beat you 3-0.

FOr all the talk of could have been, should have been, might have been etc etc from English fans in this forum, the series was 3-0 to Australia... a second rate Aust team at that - you have serious problems

For christ sake's mate, get it into perspective, GB were equal or leading in the last 10 minutes of each of the tree tests. The kiwis looked gone, and could have lost just as easily. Some miracle ball playing that would NOT come off every time got you out of trouble. Whilst the result looked comfortable, the match hardly was.

Skinner

Coach
Gleeson, looks to me, like he could become an outstanding centre.
Some little things from him, on the weekend, looked really good.

iggy plop

First Grade
It annoys me when people go back to to the Poms being thrashed 64-10 by the aussies in Sydney a couple of years ago.

The bastards had just got off a plane for god's sake!!!

In-goal

Bench
Mid season tests are a farce, they never let the Kiwis prepare fot the match, and the GB disaster 2 years ago god i would love to have seen the Roos play GB with 4 days preperation.

galea#13

Juniors
stick with the same side gb they will aim up against the best aussie side i think they will do even better for te ashes run they just had im an aussie but really gb won the ashes series we played better for the last 10 minutes in every game!!

Latest posts