What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great expectations

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Just wondering if there is a player or two that you feel will level jump your expectations

Im leaning towards Jackson Ford will continue on his rise in 2020. To the point where the player leadership group and coaching dept will find it difficult not to have him out on the pitch for 80mins

He exudes the passion and the determination needed as a NRL player

He may in my opinion demand a role in the centres if he cant oust a player in the backrow

I was amazed out how well he did in the NRL for a fairly lean built edge backrower........and young

his defence was relentless and committed and he was asked to play 80min games 2 of the 4 or so game he played

Dragonsamy

Bench
Just wondering if there is a player or two that you feel will level jump your expectations

Im leaning towards Jackson Ford will continue on his rise in 2020. To the point where the player leadership group and coaching dept will find it difficult not to have him out on the pitch for 80mins

He may in my opinion demand a role in the centres if he cant oust a player in the backrow

I was amazed out how well he did in the NRL for a fairly lean built edge backrower........and young

his defence was relentless and committed and he was asked to play 80min games 2 of the 4 or so game he played

Agree Jackson has all the abilities and skill he will have a big year.
For me its lomax will have a huge year

BLM01

First Grade

I have been or was hoping Korbin sims would find something more coming to play with his brother but to date had been disappointed.
Norman....hoping he has a year similar to 2016 & 2017.

But in respect to the young kids.....For me it will be Lawrie & Blacker
These kids have the attributes in different aspects to be top line props.
The other young guns like Sailor, Saab, Sullivan and now Ramsay etc have already attracted high expectations from the media etc.

Old Timer

Coach
Garrick who will avoid the 2nd year syndrome and prove to be everything our lot said he isn’t.
Leilua who will be settled into a position and play a key role within a team structure
Robson who will get plenty of guidance and game time
Within our system no one as we panic and don’t allow players to develop all the while keeping those that never were going to develop

I think both Lafai and Aitken will improve and only let in an average of three tries each match from rushing in or mis reading plays rather than the four try average in 2019.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Ford, Lomax, Saab and Sailor should shine this year. If De Belin is available our pack and hookers should be stronger with Ford, Host, Kerr and Lawrie having another year of experience under their belts.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Our club is certainly following the storyline of Dickens’ great expectations so far..

A youthful JV in a regional area receives a large sum of cash from a benefactor..

How we handle the next stanza of the young cashed up JV mingling with the elite is coming up this year i guess..

I don’t remember the novel having a bald headed villain in it though..

Old Timer

Coach
I think ultimately Ford is a season off making a huge impact for us. He lacks size and, although he has potential, will find it hard to be physically intimidating in the back row. Centre? Perhaps, but one intercept and a show of speed does not necessarily make him an outside back.
Sage warning indeed.
As usual our supporters busy trying to pump up tyres and picking players out of position without a shred of evidence it will work at NRL level.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Sage warning indeed.
As usual our supporters busy trying to pump up tyres and picking players out of position without a shred of evidence it will work at NRL level.

Like be Ben creagh
Ordinary winger
Outstanding second rower with less evidence then Ford in the lower grades

They are hard to pick :)

Old Timer

Coach
Like be Ben creagh
Ordinary winger
Outstanding second rower with less evidence then Ford in the lower grades

They are hard to pick :)
Indeed it is hard to pick where young players careers will ultimately end up
If Creagh was starting his career now under the current systems in place at our club I dare suggest he would have had to exit them if he wanted to have a footy career.
He benefited from a strong ethic to promoted, correctly coach and stick with young players
None of our current stock of juniors have that luxury and looking at how our regular centres play anyone having thoughts that a green CC second rower will make it as an NRL centre at our club is in for a rude shock.

giboz71

First Grade
I have high hopes for Ford and Saab this year. With the right mentors, they can be anything.

Look what a guy like Daniel Tupou has done for the Roosters, based on his physical gifts alone, without necessarily being an outstanding player. Saab can be that type of player.

Ford hopefully will turn into our version of Kurt Capewell and give us some versatility.

Lomax’s breakout year should have been last year to be honest. Hopefully if he stays injury free, and now he has a fat contract, we’d see the best out of him.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Our club is certainly following the storyline of Dickens’ great expectations so far..

A youthful JV in a regional area receives a large sum of cash from a benefactor..

How we handle the next stanza of the young cashed up JV mingling with the elite is coming up this year i guess..

I don’t remember the novel having a bald headed villain in it though..

I saw the movie. The bald headed villain ends up becoming the unexpected benefactor.

BLM01

First Grade
Indeed it is hard to pick where young players careers will ultimately end up
If Creagh was starting his career now under the current systems in place at our club I dare suggest he would have had to exit them if he wanted to have a footy career.
He benefited from a strong ethic to promoted, correctly coach and stick with young players
None of our current stock of juniors have that luxury and looking at how our regular centres play anyone having thoughts that a green CC second rower will make it as an NRL centre at our club is in for a rude shock.
I would not say correctly coaching OT...Creagh started in a good team under a rookie Brownie....but Yes who happily promoted and stuck with young players
and Yes the pathway to McGregorville 1st grade is blocked and appears to be a dead end unless they can lure players from obscurity or the scrap heap. Lucky Lomax who is skinny enough slid through the secuirty gate while Mc85 was having a nap whilst the team was preparing for an important game.

possm

Coach
I think ultimately Ford is a season off making a huge impact for us. He lacks size and, although he has potential, will find it hard to be physically intimidating in the back row. Centre? Perhaps, but one intercept and a show of speed does not necessarily make him an outside back.
With good speed and accurate defence, I would love to see Ford given a shot in the centres during the pre-season trials. Our centre combination is our weak link and so, given we apparently have next to no cap left, we need to work with the players we have in preparation for 2021. Another wasted year unless we try to unearth some young talent.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Ok, so lets move Ford to the centres. What happens then the Fegai's, SSE, Ramsey and even Schiller and maybe even Lomax, where do they ultimately play?
Quick fixes are not the answer.
Ford can be a great utility who can play in the forwards and fill in at centre on occasions eg Capewell.