What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great game Dragons

bottle

Coach
Nice sentiments from Tigers fans in here. Bit of a change to the bitterness that usually infests the place. Am I in the right forum?
Both teams showed heart. Great game, great crowd.
Kudos to Farah BTW, nice words at the end, thanking the Saints fans. Given the Twitter sh*t that went down, and supposed incident involving Young, couldn't have been blamed for doing the opposite. Showed his class, a true sportsman. Sportsmanship like that only gets exposed on the back of a loss. Cheered him off at the end, saw a number of Saints fans doing the same.

cleary89

Coach
Thread started off good, was going to come in and say congrats on a good game etc etc.

But f**k off merge scum, next one is 16.

aussie7798

First Grade
gould said that he thought the best 2 defensive efforts of the weekend got through to the GF but the tigers defence looked better than the roosters for mine they where sensational

Vic Mackey

Referee
So proud of the tigers this year.

No tuiaki or moltzen all year, and a heap of other injuries. No other team would have come third after losing their number 1 winger and halfback.

Our defence was great last night, dragons must have had 40 tackles in our 20 compared to our 8, yet it still took a field goal to beat us.

I thought farah was terrible, especially close to the line, his kicking game cost us the game IMO

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It was a fantastic game and both teams played well.

Personally I hardly noticed the refereeing and think it has become a default position now for some fans to analyse every decision to the detriment of their enjoyment of the game.

I didn't think there were any real controversies or black marks on the result, the better team won, just.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I thought farah was terrible, especially close to the line, his kicking game cost us the game IMO

This, surprised there hasn't been more mention. He put in a succession of terrible kicks. Benji on the other hand made one bad kick amidst a ridiculous amount of brilliant play and gets bagged by the haters.

smi962

First Grade
Tigers goal-line defence was actually superior to Dragons in this particular game. Dragons got home due to superior possession and field position. Dragon go forward was superior, which was a big effort considering Weyman was playing injured.

dragondad

First Grade
My seats were near the tunnel, and I clapped off the Tigers after the game. Was such a great game and atmosphere.

Unfortunately some (only the minority of them) Tigers fans weren't as graceful, especially on the trains back to central.

This, surprised there hasn't been more mention. He put in a succession of terrible kicks. Benji on the other hand made one bad kick amidst a ridiculous amount of brilliant play and gets bagged by the haters.

Agreed. I don't know why Farah escapes criticism when he has a bad performance while Marshall is excoriated for every single mistake that he makes. Farah's kicking game was atrocious, both close to the line and in general play.

The Tigers had three sets in the Dragons' 20m and scored two tries. More field position on the back of a decent kicking game might have won the Tigers the game.

Last edited:

Bumble

First Grade
I was at the game and the atmosphere was great. Not quite as intense as '05 (but then again, it was at ANZ which is a complete atmosphere vacuum) but highly enjoyable.

It's going to be a great grand final.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Agreed. I don't know why Farah escapes criticism when he has a bad performance but Marshall is excoriated for every single mistake that he makes. Farah's kicking game was atrocious, both close to the line and in general play.

This is about my 4th or 5th post in the last 24 hours gobbling on Benji's nuts, but what the hell.....it's not just that he gets excoriated for every error, but that fans with no insight in to the game miss the string of brilliant things he does. Watching the game last night it seemed as though Benji had his hands on the ball about 125,000 times. I don't want to have a go at the Tigers forwards, but it often seems as though the Tigers actually rely on Benji's trickery to give them go-forward as opposed to their forwards, and this was especially evident last night where they struggled to make metres through the middle. Benji threw everything at the Dragons last night and did everything he could, in a big game, to get his team over the line. I don't know how any league fan can fail to appreciate that.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
There were three turning points in this game that allowed the Dragons to win.

1. Robbie Farah's kick back on the angle that went straight to Soward
2. Robbie Farah's attempt to grubber kick in the in goal for himself
3. The no call from the officials for Jeremy Smith Leading with the knees

The penalty would have had the Tigers deep on attack and they may have kick the 1 point.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
There were three turning points in this game that allowed the Dragons to win.

1. Robbie Farah's kick back on the angle that went straight to Soward
2. Robbie Farah's attempt to grubber kick in the in goal for himself
3. The no call from the officials for Jeremy Smith Leading with the knees

The penalty would have had the Tigers deep on attack and they may have kick the 1 point.

I don't know how that could have been a penalty? It was an unfortunate incident but Smith didn't have a cocked knee and Tuquiri started falling after the leg was extended. It would have been an incredibly tough call in penalty goal range in the context of the match.

veintitres

Juniors
Sensational win by the Dragons, they made it a little harder than they had to given they had the bulk of possession, field position and penalties early. I liked how they kept to the game plan to grind out the win. A bit to improve on, though they were deserving winners.

boxhead

First Grade
The Dragons and Tigers should both be proud of themselves, it was a great game.
It thoroughly deserved the crowd it got-a shame it didn't surpass the Dogs/Eels of 2009-and it was a great game played by both teams....
Congratulations are due to both teams IMO, they both played with so much heart.

Gmac

Juniors
I’ve never looked forward to a game more (that didnt involve my club) in a long time.
With the utmost respect to roosters fans, ( I'll be supporting you next week) watching the game last night as a neutral it felt like this would of been a fantastic & deserving grand final. It’s harsh that someone had to loose and miss a grand final place.
Few observations..
* It amazes me that no matter what happens no matter what they f**k up or have against them the Dragons just do not panic. Bennett is not a coach he is a god.

* Nathan Fien... Don’t know if he gets the credit he deserves. Dragons are much more dangerous when hes on the field. Fantastic Hooker.

* Agree with comments on Farah.. Wasn’t his best game. But overall the Tigers defence was impressive. (Never thought id say that) The roosters should be under no illusions what they need to do next week. If at any time they get flustered by the dragons it will get very ugly very fast. But if they just hang in there like the tigers did there a huge chance.

* I really really hope the tigers can pick themselves up and bring it back to the table next year. I would hate see the tigers fall away. There too good not to be there.

I don't know how that could have been a penalty? It was an unfortunate incident but Smith didn't have a cocked knee and Tuquiri started falling after the leg was extended. It would have been an incredibly tough call in penalty goal range in the context of the match.

Jeremy Smith was charged by the judiciary for making dangerous contact with the knee. As such, the NRL effectively has conceded that the referees got it wrong and a penalty should have been awarded. That aside, the better team won. One bad decision certainly didn't decide the game.