What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great seeing a shitload of NFL jerseys in town today

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Heaps, couldn't believe it, even mingled with a couple of Aus Bills fans whilst going to work, saw more NFL jerseys in one day, then League jerseys in 6 months, hopefully NFL takes over, that would be sick :D

Raider_69

Post Whore
i saw a lot of gear in ACT

surprising that a town with this many out of towners would have so little going on for one of the biggest sporting events in the calander year. but they did, and a lot of money, particularly mine was left in a wallet.

NFL football is on the rise in this country. No question

Ron Jeremy

Coach
i saw a lot of gear in ACT

surprising that a town with this many out of towners would have so little going on for one of the biggest sporting events in the calander year. but they did, and a lot of money, particularly mine was left in a wallet.

NFL football is on the rise in this country. No question

Raider no bullshit, whilst having my coffee at this cafe i lost count, every jersey you could imagine was out, it waas fantastic, i would love to see it take over one day, me and a mate r thinking aabout playing it next year too!

beave

Coach
I wore a Bucs T-shirt to my boys swimming lesson this morning, a few of the mums were asking why the hell I wasn't at home watching the super bowl....... I am surprised they knew what the hell sport shirt I was wearing as there was only the Tampa logo on it and no NFL insignia.............

dogslife

Coach
I had my Matt Ryan Falcons retro on today, had to peel it off a short while later when the humidity peaked at 1000%

Raider_69

Post Whore
Raider no bullshit, whilst having my coffee at this cafe i lost count, every jersey you could imagine was out, it waas fantastic, i would love to see it take over one day, me and a mate r thinking aabout playing it next year too!

ive looked into it locally too, seems a few teams that would be happy to have another STer :lol:

I told the missus a few months ago that ill probably have a crack at playing, probably the year after this one as ive got my wedding and honeymoon right in the middle of the season and would miss half the year.

DC_fan

Coach
Super Bowl Monday is a bit like the first Tuesday in November when all the horse racing experts come out for their one day of the year. Yesterday is the day that a lot of non NFL fans show an interest in the the game.

Though in saying that their are many more true NFL fans here in Australia then you may think.

It would be interesting to know how many people watched the game here on TV. But with the coverage spread across a few channels it may be difficult to get an accurate number.

I have been following the NFL and the mighty Dallas Cowboys for just about 30 years now. In that time I have noticed a huge increase in the interest shown in the game here in Australia.

Their is no doubt that over a full season that the English Premier League is the most popular overseas sporting competition followed by sports fans here. But no single game the EPL can throw up compares to the popularity of the Super Bowl.

In my opinion interst in the EPL has reached its peak. If the NFL plays its cards properly their is no reason the game could not rival the interest shown here in the EPL.

gronkathon

First Grade
NFL is different enough that it draws you in. It has the physicality, complex tactics, bad luck, the questionable call/non calls and cheerleaders.

How could it not grow in popularity

Mhartew

Juniors
NFL is definitely getting more popular out here. Getting a lot more exposure than it used to. The thing I like about Australian NFL fans, is that you can genuinely strike up a good conversation with them about the sport as they're pretty knowledgeable and happy they have someone to talk about the game with.

The trend that kind of annoys me right now is those wankers with the NBA/NFL hats that have no idea about the sport or even the team that's on the hat they're wearing. Total try hards.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Ive met 3 americans since moving to canberra, absolute gut wrenching that none of them since moving to aust have kept up with the NFL.... the only one who of them who cared to speak of it, was a NY native, who im sure was a tranny whom my wife to be struck up a conversation about her hand bag with... and she was a f**king cowboys fan.... fml

I had yesterday off at work to watch the game (gotta love flex days), and the boys at work have had to put up with monday football on the tele during lunch, so they had the SB on at work monday and were regularly checking it, was great to chat to them today and have them ask me real life questions about the game, their biggest query was why the pats let bradshaw in for the TD and why he tried to get down before scoring.

Didnt make any sense to them at the time, until i explained the reasons, then its like something clicked and my boss said "its like a f**king chess game or something"

the NFL has a great platform to grow in this country, and i think its popularity is only going to rise

Lambretta

First Grade
I went to the Alexandria Hotel in Alexandria (Sydney) and there were about 400 people there.

About 1/4 of all punters there were wearing NFL jerseys and quite a few more wearing t-shirts, scarves and caps for other teams. There were quite a few Patriots jerseys (to be expected) and one or two Giants jerseys and a smattering of Giants t-shirts, caps etc.

In my group we had 1 Jets Green, 1 Titans of New York/Jets throwback, 1 Packers throwback, 1 Bills (did not show), 1 49ers (though I told him it looked more like a Falcons jersey and to stop wearing other teams colours through embarassment), 1 x Cowboys, 2 x Tennessee Titans, 1 x Patriots and 1 x Bears.

DC_fan

Coach
I went to the Alexandria Hotel in Alexandria (Sydney) and there were about 400 people there.

About 1/4 of all punters there were wearing NFL jerseys and quite a few more wearing t-shirts, scarves and caps for other teams. There were quite a few Patriots jerseys (to be expected) and one or two Giants jerseys and a smattering of Giants t-shirts, caps etc.

In my group we had 1 Jets Green, 1 Titans of New York/Jets throwback, 1 Packers throwback, 1 Bills (did not show), 1 49ers (though I told him it looked more like a Falcons jersey and to stop wearing other teams colours through embarassment), 1 x Cowboys, 2 x Tennessee Titans, 1 x Patriots and 1 x Bears.

No it wasnt me

Dogs Of War

Coach
I was at the Brewhouse (Which used to be the James Squire Bar) at Darling Harbour. Plenty of NFL Jerseys (Giants & Pats obviously, also Dolphins, Falcons, Steelers, Titans, and a few others, my memory is a bit hazy, $20 jugs and no breakfast are a bad combination) oh and me in my Bengals jersey.