What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest Aussie sporting moments.

Hazardous

Juniors
this will be interesting.. mine would have to be the 5-0 whitewash in the 2006/07 ashes series, pretty much because of the way every big moment that defined matches were won by the aussies (adelaide test sticks out in my memory, with day 5 being the best day of australian cricket in my lifetime)

doyen

Bench
this will be interesting.. mine would have to be the 5-0 whitewash in the 2006/07 ashes series, pretty much because of the way every big moment that defined matches were won by the aussies (adelaide test sticks out in my memory, with day 5 being the best day of australian cricket in my lifetime)

What happened on day 5 in Adelaide??

Bulldog Force

Referee
  • Australia beating Uruguay in 2005 to qualify for the World Cup for the first time in over 3 decades
  • Cathy Freeman winning Gold in Sydney
  • Mark Philippoussis winning the Davis Cup for Australia in 1999
  • Winning the Ashes 5-0 after the poms wouldn't stop ranting on about how good they were
  • Aussie Sam Stosur defeating heavy favourite Serena Williams in straight sets 6-2, 6-3 to winning the 2011 US Open in front of Serenas home crowd

El Diablo

Post Whore
  • Australia beating Uruguay in 2005 to qualify for the World Cup for the first time in over 3 decades
  • Cathy Freeman winning Gold in Sydney
  • Mark Philippoussis winning the Davis Cup for Australia in 1999
  • Winning the Ashes 5-0 after the poms wouldn't stop ranting on about how good they were
  • Aussie Sam Stosur defeating heavy favourite Serena Williams in straight sets 6-2, 6-3 to winning the 2011 US Open in front of Serenas home crowd

seriously terrible list

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Better Loosen up winning the Japan Cup
Black Caviar maintaining her undefeated record in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes in England
Choisir winning the Royal Ascot double
So You Think winning the Prince of Wales Stakes in England
Starcraft winning the Queen Elizabeth 11 Stakes in England
Haradasun winning the Queen Anne Stakes in England
Takeover Target winning the Sprinters Stakes in Japan
Starspangledbanner winning the July Cup and Golden Jubilee Stakes in England
Elvstroem winning the Dubai Duty Free
Falvelon winning 2 Hong Kong Sprints
Scenic Blast winning the Kings Stand Stakes in England
Miss Andretti winning the Kings Stand Stakes in England
Elegant Fashion winning the Hong Kong Derby
Absolute Champion(Genius and Evil) winning the Hong Kong Sprint

I rate the most recent ashes series ahead of that one.

Top 10 in no order:
- Bradbury's gold medal.
- Australia 11's America's Cup win
- Sydney Swans 2005 Premiership
- Cathy Freeman gold at Sydney Olympics
- Men's "Smash them like Guitars" 4x100 relay
- Shane Warne's Gatting ball
- Socceroos v Uruguay qualifier in 2005.
- Winning the 13/14 Ashes series 5-0 after being given no hope of winning a single match
- Black Caviar's winning streak
- Makybe Diva's 3 Melbourne Cups in a row.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Better Loosen up winning the Japan Cup
Black Caviar maintaining her undefeated record in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes in England
Choisir winning the Royal Ascot double
So You Think winning the Prince of Wales Stakes in England
Starcraft winning the Queen Elizabeth 11 Stakes in England
Haradasun winning the Queen Anne Stakes in England
Takeover Target winning the Sprinters Stakes in Japan
Starspangledbanner winning the July Cup and Golden Jubilee Stakes in England
Elvstroem winning the Dubai Duty Free
Falvelon winning 2 Hong Kong Sprints
Scenic Blast winning the Kings Stand Stakes in England
Miss Andretti winning the Kings Stand Stakes in England
Elegant Fashion winning the Hong Kong Derby
Absolute Champion(Genius and Evil) winning the Hong Kong Sprint

you are forgetting the great one http://www.racenet.com.au/news/92966/2013-Wyong-Gold-Cup-result-–-Wazn-wins-another-one-for-Waller

Parra

Referee
Sir Jack Brabham winning the F1 Championship in a car bearing his own name, with an engine built in Australia is an achievement that will never be matched. Not by anyone from any country.

doyen

Bench
Sir Jack Brabham winning the F1 Championship in a car bearing his own name, with an engine built in Australia is an achievement that will never be matched. Not by anyone from any country.

Plenty of fabulous Aussie sporting triumphs but Sir Jack's achievement is unique to the max.That one hadn't entered my head but should have!!

CONGRATS TO MUNDINE IN BEATING RABCHENKO---NOT BAD FOR A BOXER PUSHING 40 YRS OLD!!

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
Sally "Lay Down" Robbins - 2004 Athens Olympic Games....:D

Geez--what a terrific moment for Aussie rowing & especially for Sally!!

Very memorable but,alas,awful!!

She endeavoured to make it as a cyclist after her rowing exploits but they reckon her HEART wasn't really in it.

Latest posts