What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest EVER Kiwi? Greatest EVER Warrior?

waipiro

Juniors
For the Warriors its Stacey easy I reckon. Great kicking game, great running game and great cover defence.

Kiwis ....Benji probably edges Wiki, Graham and Johnson for mine.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I get all that, absolutely. Stacey was a gun. But I don't see which parts of this Simon didn't do as well. Simon had it all for his position. Stacey did too. Did Simon lift bludger teams to respectability. Yeah, he did. He kept us from spoons. We don't make the 2018 finals without him.

When the opposition looked at the Warriors from 2013 onwards, they knew they'd have to work a bit harder if Simon Mannering was there. If he wasn't, I'm pretty sure they knew it would be a walk in the park. I remember our winning percentage without him being absolutely dire. Remembering too when people say someone would save you a game, but someone would win it...both result in 2 points.

But hey I fully respect anyone who sees the answer as Stacey, and there's very good reasons. But for me, it's Simon. Ask Ivan Cleary, and he'd say it's Simon too. Ivan speaks as highly as it is possible to do so on Simon and what sort of person and player he was.

It’s a tough debate lol, trying to make a case for one without putting the other down

Simon was a great of the Warriors and the type of player that you build teams around. For me when the greatest ever debate comes around it comes back to that special talent that can break a game open, which is why I learn towards Stacey’s direction.

Guess to use an analogy with another sport, Simon is the rock at the top of the order which you need to allow the stroke players come in and play their game later on

horrie hastings

First Grade
Seeing Hugh McGahan give a 100% every time he came out in the Red White and Blue Eastern Suburb jersey ( besides his efforts in the NZ test sides) gets my vote as greatest Kiwi.

Also big cudos to Stacey Jones for the Warrior's greatest.

horrie hastings

First Grade
under rated guys that need a mention are henry tatana and bernie lowther
henry a tough goal kicking prop and bernie a strong fast outside centre in the old days

I remember Henry Tatana kicking four goals in the major semi final in 1975 against Easts when he played for Saints to win 8-5. We all know what happened two weeks later though.