What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest Kangaroo Touring Party Ever Selected...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Raider_69 said:
simon says said:
Raider_69 said:
first of all im 17, 2nd basketball is one if not the worst sport i have ever watched. 3rd i have watch quite a bit of benny elias and i know that he wasnt as good as walters, thats why walters was in the australian squad, when teams were acually picked on form

so answer the queation, who do you support?
Youve waqtched a lot of Elias eh.Funny that considering he retired in 92 when you were....what,6 years old,hahahahahahaha!!!!

The defense rests. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

point 1. you still are yet to answer my question, could that be because if you answer it will indicate that you are biast to elias because your a tigers fan?

point 2. i spent alot of time at my pops house when i was 13, he was a mad tigers fan (rufuses to support the wests tigers) and he had about 100 odd games of the tigers on tape, now there isnt all that much to do out at my pops house so i watched most of those games...... including several origins and tests..... elias although a good player wasnt not at the level that walters was[/quote]

point 3: ELias retired in 1994, the only time he played well for Australia was in 1990 Kangaroo Tour

Raider_69

Post Whore
PARRA_FAN said:
Raider_69 said:
simon says said:
Raider_69 said:
first of all im 17, 2nd basketball is one if not the worst sport i have ever watched. 3rd i have watch quite a bit of benny elias and i know that he wasnt as good as walters, thats why walters was in the australian squad, when teams were acually picked on form

so answer the queation, who do you support?
Youve waqtched a lot of Elias eh.Funny that considering he retired in 92 when you were....what,6 years old,hahahahahahaha!!!!

The defense rests. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

point 1. you still are yet to answer my question, could that be because if you answer it will indicate that you are biast to elias because your a tigers fan?

point 2. i spent alot of time at my pops house when i was 13, he was a mad tigers fan (rufuses to support the wests tigers) and he had about 100 odd games of the tigers on tape, now there isnt all that much to do out at my pops house so i watched most of those games...... including several origins and tests..... elias although a good player wasnt not at the level that walters was

point 3: ELias retired in 1994, the only time he played well for Australia was in 1990 Kangaroo Tour

well well well
it appears you were right
you have forgotten alot....... 1992, good one dickhead

for someone that descibes themself as a "mad tigers fan" you dont know much do ya.
And fianlly i know 100% your a tigers fan, which dismisses your claim as much as mine..... differnce is, ive got more people backing mine
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

but then your not biast are you?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
simon says said:
I cant believe people keep picking Steve Walters in fornt of Benny Elais.Walters was good,but geez,Elias had the lot.I feel for him,but at least i know(im sure every Raider fan will disagree :roll: :roll: )

Benny Elias was a awesome player!!......when ever Parra played them in the late 80's early 90's...every time he touched the ball the crowd would boo & cheer when he got smashed.....to me that's a sign that he was respected by everyone & a great player.

I agree what Simon Say's......Walters had nothing on Elias in regards to individual skill & creativity!!.....Benny Elias completely revolutionised the way a hooker play's these day's.....only a champion could have such an impact to change the way a game is played!!

Walters was definately a better tackler who was dynamic when running straight out of dummy half due to his great strength & speed of the mark!

Walters was really never disliked as much as Benny (only in SOO)!!

Too different players but??....i feel Elias paid for Balmain's poor form in the early 90's.....Elias was the benchmark for a hooker in the late 80's early 90's!!

I reckon there on par with eachother!!

JJ

Immortal
Walters (S) was better than Elias - no question. Elias never played regularly for Australia - was kept out by Simmons, that guy from QLD who nobody can remember :), and Walters brothers.

Where is Glenn Lazarus - I do think the modern players get a raw deal.

Paul Sironen - was awesome for the Roos.

Noel Cleal - a personal favourite - wasn't even on the ballot. I could be wrong, but I believe NSW won every origin game he played (a rarity when Wally was dominant) - but in saying that, he wasn't the only reason, I think they had a winning record when Kenny played 5/8!

simon says

First Grade
Ron Jeremy said:
Benny Elias was a awesome player!!......when ever Parra played them in the late 80's early 90's...every time he touched the ball the crowd would boo & cheer when he got smashed.....to me that's a sign that he was respected by everyone & a great player.

I agree what Simon Say's......Walters had nothing on Elias in regards to individual skill & creativity!!.....Benny Elias completely revolutionised the way a hooker play's these day's.....only a champion could have such an impact to change the way a game is played!!

Too different players but??....i feel Elias paid for Balmain's poor form in the early 90's.....Elias was the benchmark for a hooker in the late 80's early 90's!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Eureka!!!Finally someone who has an idea about football.And Ron i love your movies mate,great stuff.I hardly think Walters revolutionized hooker play like one B Elias.

And Raider 69,you call me a dickhead cos i have a different opinion to yours.....next time Tigers play Canberra why dont you meet up with me and we can disuss it eh.Id love to meet a turd lilke you in person ;-) ;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
As Johns and Lockyer didn't make the last real Kangaroo tour in 1994 and the 2001 Kangaroo tour was the Claytons tour why then were they considered?

yappy

Bench
I'm not going to get into the 'boxhead' v 'back door' debate except to say who do you think the great hookers of our time a la the Wings, Marsh's, Bedsy's etc games are more based on? You need a dummy half with creativity and a kicking game these days. Only one club in the late 80's had one of them, and he was the prototype for the great No 9's of the future.

PARRA_FAN said:
No Fittler?????
1999 vs NZL, Sydney

I distinctly remember Fittler having a pretty shit game in this one and dropping a few easy passes, which he usually doesn't do. I was actually watching the tape of this game a few weeks ago. Dunno, but I dont think that was one of Freddys best games for the Roos. The Paul brothers made him look rather silly a couple of times too. It was also Lauries last test. Johns is a halfback, so they wouldnt kick out Joey for Freddy anyway. And 5/8th and Centre are pretty well covered. If anything Laurie should be in there, but yes im mega biased.
Well Simon, Elias didnt win those Origin series' on his own, he had a little help from Stuart, Daley, Clyde, ET, Harrogan, Lazarus, Roberts, Sironen etc.

Razor

Coach
Colonel Eel said:
As Johns and Lockyer didn't make the last real Kangaroo tour in 1994 and the 2001 Kangaroo tour was the Claytons tour why then were they considered?

If you read the T & C's in Big League or on the NRLs website, you'll see they didn't have to have been on a Roo tour, just played at least 1 game for Australia.

By the way Parra Fan, I would of loved to of seen the Daley/Stuart/Fittler/Meninga combo in more tests, but the selectors screwed over Stuart thanks to interstate politics.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
DaleyIsGod said:
PARRA_FAN said:
No Fittler?????
1999 vs NZL, Sydney

I distinctly remember Fittler having a pretty sh*t game in this one and dropping a few easy passes, which he usually doesn't do. I was actually watching the tape of this game a few weeks ago. Dunno, but I dont think that was one of Freddys best games for the Roos. The Paul brothers made him look rather silly a couple of times too. It was also Lauries last test. Johns is a halfback, so they wouldnt kick out Joey for Freddy anyway. And 5/8th and Centre are pretty well covered. If anything Laurie should be in there, but yes im mega biased.
Well Simon, Elias didnt win those Origin series' on his own, he had a little help from Stuart, Daley, Clyde, ET, Harrogan, Lazarus, Roberts, Sironen etc.

I suppose I agree with you on that New Zealand test, Fittler had a shocka in the first half and Paul brothers were carving him up. I mustve confused him with the other sydney test between Nzl and Aus. But in the 1999 one, I thought he got the Aussies back in the game. Btw Johns played most of his tests at hooker, even though he is a half back.

With Daley, well if youre gonna have Lockyer and Johns maybe Lozza could get in there.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
DaleyIsGod said:
By the way Parra Fan, I would of loved to of seen the Daley/Stuart/Fittler/Meninga combo in more tests, but the selectors screwed over Stuart thanks to interstate politics.

Ahhhh those were the tests, pity there weren't many of them.

The 1994 Kangaroo Tour were probably the games:

3. Meninga [c]
6. Daley
7. Stuart
13. Fittler

^^And then you had Mullins carving em up from the back too. That was my favourite ever Kangaroo team. I gotta get my hands on those tapes, I remember Soleus76 had them but he hasnt found his way here from rleague.

On Johns hooker status I never really took that into account, when picking my aquad. But it is very handy. I just knew the two halfbacks they'd choose would be Sterling & Johns. It's amazing when you think about it, but this year was Johns first ever State Of Origin series victory playing at halfback.

simon says

First Grade
yappy said:
I'm not going to get into the 'boxhead' v 'back door' debate except to say who do you think the great hookers of our time a la the Wings, Marsh's, Bedsy's etc games are more based on? You need a dummy half with creativity and a kicking game these days. Only one club in the late 80's had one of them, and he was the prototype for the great No 9's of the future.
Yappy I knew i liked you ;-) ;-) Thats exactly the point I was trying to make.Walters was a damn good player.But Benny set a new standard for hookers....that all of the current ones are like today,he was doing it 20 years ago. :D

yappy

Bench
Yappy I knew i liked you

Yeah well don't go spreading it around. It's bad for my rep. Anyway even a Tigers fan is entitled to get it right sometimes.

Looking at the squad I reckon people bristling up over Lazzo might be on to something. The squad looks a bit light on for Props for mine, and the Brick would be the one guy I think shoulda made it of the recently retired. No way Daley should be selected over Bozo, or Wally (or Hey for that matter) and Freddy would be before him anyhow. And like I said Holman's omission (especially after being named in the Hall of Fame - the only Hall of famer to miss this selection) is astounding. But other than Him and Lazzo the squad is hard to argue with. Just try selecting a starting 13.

the Little Master must shunt Lockyer and Chang for the 1.
Horder and Irvine on the wings (Irvine MUST be the next Hall of Famer)
Puff the Magic Dragon as one centre - the other, what a shitfight. Five into two just don't go. I'd probably go with a toss of the coin - it's just too hard - Mal but without conviction
Wally over Bozo for 5/8 (again a coin toss)
Joey - but only cause Yappy wasn't included
I suppose you've got to have Rapes at lock but Prigg and Burge are both deserving
Sticks gets one back row spot, McCarthy probably for the other
Big Artie and Ned (we are playing the Poms after all) up front and
Walshy at dummy half

It's bloody tough when you try to do it.

JJ

Immortal
Since there are lot's of Canberra fans here (just to remind you - I think Walters was superior to Elias - despite the moden hooker's games being more similar to Elias's)

Mal Meninga was over-rated - let's not forget that Gene Miles and Brett Kenny kept him out of the test-side when they were available. I'd take Kenny or Daley any day over him (but then I'm not a selector)

How can you possibly think Mal is overrated? He was awesome. The most inspirational captain I've ever seen. Yes Daley was better, but Laurie was primarily a 5/8th. Meninga's early days as a centre were better than Laurie's. Remember Mal broke his arm four times, then came back to play on till he was 34 and win 3 Premierships. You wanna talk about longevity, then he beats out everyone else who's played in the centres.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
JJ you obviously never watched Mal play if you say he is overated. He was one of the best centres I ever saw and had a great combination with Daley. If I wouldnt want to be the player facing up to Meninga out wide, he was dangerous and he some speed out wide. I loved it when Mal got the ball and Rabs was calling, "here comes the big fella.

Miles and Kenny took his place cause he was injured, he had some bad injuries in 1986 and 1987.

If Mal Meninga is overated, then Andrew Johns is the worst player ive ever seen. :roll:

Raider_69

Post Whore
simon says said:
Ron Jeremy said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Eureka!!!Finally someone who has an idea about football.And Ron i love your movies mate,great stuff.I hardly think Walters revolutionized hooker play like one B Elias.

And Raider 69,you call me a dickhead cos i have a different opinion to yours.....next time Tigers play Canberra why dont you meet up with me and we can disuss it eh.Id love to meet a turd lilke you in person ;-) ;-)

no no no, i call you a dickead because you dismiss my opinion because from what i gather you think im biast being a raiders fan, but then claimin your opinion as a tigers fan is more valid....

your really should see a theropist about your KWS (Keyboard Warrior Syndrome) - next time Tigers play Canberra why dont you meet up with me and we can disuss it eh.Id love to meet a turd lilke you in person

does that make you feel tough?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Latest posts