What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest NRL game ever?

moffla

Bench
I walked away from that feeling as though it was the greatest game of rugby league I have ever attended.

Begs the question...what game has been the best in NRL history?

Last edited:

The_Shield

Juniors
Just some worth mentioning:

2015 Grand Final
Roosters - Tigers 2010
Storm - Broncos 2008
1999 Grand Final

There was also a game between the Roosters and Warriors a few years back now that was a cracker, can’t remember what year it was tho

captainwarrior

Juniors
My top three of would be:

Roosters vs. Warriors - 2007
Broncos vs. Cowboys - 2015 GF
Raiders vs. Tigers 1989 GF

The Warriors vs. Raiders semi in 2003 was another beauty, the intensity for 80 mins was exceptional, and the last 10 mins proved Stacey Jones’ worth as well. The best semi I’ve seen (although the Tigers/Roosters semi in 2010 was a close second).

Life's Good

Coach
Plenty to choose from(some already mentioned)but ones that stick in my memory:

Raiders v Tigers - GF 1989
Raiders v Bulldogs - SF 1994
Dragons v Sharks - SF 1999
Tigers v Roosters - SF 2010
Roosters v Manly - GF 2013

Dragons v Roosters - GF 2010 (for selfish reasons)

some11

Referee
Really? I found that game quite dour. How do you enjoy it where one team just kicks the ball into touch without trying anything for half the game.
Agree, Brisbane stopped playing football after 50 minutes and tried to defend a four point lead against a team that had made a season out of miraculous comebacks.

That game would've been better if Linnett had caught an easy pass with the line wide open.

taipan

Referee
No doubt some of those great Grand Finals mentioned and the Cows win in 2015 was one of them are up there, but for one of the best games I've ever seen full stop, was last night tucked away in non heartland territory.
That game had everything ,except of course a full on brawl.Never took my eyes off the screen,.always something happening, scores fluctuating ,brutal defence ,great attack,from runs, kicks,high ball.
Bleeding breathtaking stuff.
Result not known til the last minute.
Even the refs,despite a couple of 50/50 debatable calls, deserve a wrap.Minimal penalties.
Every player in that game ,deserves a minimum 8 out of 10.

And you know what, on Sunday's Offsiders,we'll get that panel of Vic AFL tragics, spending the NRL segment on an atrocity in a Rock's Pub.I'll put my house on it.

That game should be bottled in a time capsule.

blaza88z

Coach
Cows/Brisbane GF wasn't particularly a great game but one of the all time great endings for a strong majority of the NRL fan base, if we held them out and won that game.. it doesn't cop a mention in the "greatest game" category

Canard

Immortal
Cows/Brisbane GF wasn't particularly a great game but one of the all time great endings for a strong majority of the NRL fan base, if we held them out and won that game.. it doesn't cop a mention in the "greatest game" category

No shit, if a miraculous comeback doesn't happen it's not as good!

PS last night's game Suli try highlights even made the front page of Reddit.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
The Raiders game where all the fans Viking clapped themselves into a frenzy pre game before Ennis created perhaps the greatest sporting moment in recent memory. Great theatre.

idiot, you realise there's a good half a dozen saints game we can drag up?

the one from 2 weeks ago against Canterbury?
1999 gf