What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest Origin Tries - NSW

b&wdynamite

Juniors
As a dedicated Qlder I have always grown up knowing that the best origin tries over the last 25 years have been scored by us mighty Cane Toads. For mine the top 4 tries would be (in no particular order):

1. Billy Slater chip and chase 2004
2. Mark Coyne right foot step 1994
3. Wally Lewis in the corner 1989
4. Greg Dowling off the crossbar 1985

But this has led me to wonder what the cockroaches believe their greatest origin tries over the past 25 years are. I know that the media in each state is skewed to give a biased opinion in favour of their respective state, so I am wondering what the NSW fans think?

Cheers

QLD by 12 tonight
eusa_dance.gif

McLovin

Staff member
Brad Fitlers charge down that led to his try.

I think everyone in the pub i was in wanted Freddy to score in his final SOO game...

tiger_nick

Bench
I think it was 2000 with Robbie Ross? After 30 seconds I think it was Daley and Fittler who threw it wide and Girdler made a break, drew the fullback and passed to Ross.

Another was the first game of 2002 I think, Brett Hodgson scored a near length of the field try from an Andrew Johns inside ball.

Mr Saab

Referee
tiger_nick said:
I think it was 2000 with Robbie Ross? After 30 seconds I think it was Daley and Fittler who threw it wide and Girdler made a break, drew the fullback and passed to Ross.

that was 1999 game 2, they scored after 45 secs. That record was broken game 3 2001 by Girdler.
Daley retired from rep football in 1999.

fat_mike

Juniors
favourite was definetly freddy's charge down
try on par with carlaw and coyne's in the heartbreak dept. would be tonnie carroll crashing over in the dying minutes at the SFS in 1998. all set up by chip and chase from walters onto ikin. i was at the game which made it even more hard to watch.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Connell said:
Brad Fitlers charge down that led to his try.

I think everyone in the pub i was in wanted Freddy to score in his final SOO game...

it was about the only thing he did all game, good try though

fat_mike

Juniors
Raiders Plight said:
it was about the only thing he did all game, good try though

did you watch the game, he a barrett combined superbly. gave outside backs plenty of ball and they were both great

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
does anyone remember a game at stadium aus and nsw scored (1999-2001ish) a try that must of gone through 30 sets of hands. it started on one side, then went to the other, then came back to the other, everyone was just passing it round. dunno who ended up scoring.

it might of lead to the bryan fletcher grenade post try celebration im not sure. but whatever it was near the end of the match and it was a great one.

legend

Coach
Daley stepping the whole Qld side with both knees heavily strapped to score adjacent to the posts. Beautiful to watch.

Raider_69

Post Whore
legend said:
Daley stepping the whole Qld side with both knees heavily strapped to score adjacent to the posts. Beautiful to watch.

being a raiders fan i was gonna say that one
with 2 dogey knee's, he steped half the QLD team off both feet. Great solo effort

Mr Saab

Referee
yeah that Daley try was great game 3 1994.
Ray Warren creamed his pants

"Daley, Daley, Laurie Daley, arrrrrr that is magnificent"

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Favourite NSW tries:
*Laurie Daley's individual effort, Brisbane, 1994
*Matt Gidley's 2nd try in 2000 at Sydney, went through 20 sets of hands
*Rod Wishart's try, SFS, after ET made a long break set up by McGregor
*Ricky Stuart's dummy try in 1992 at SFS
*Shaun Timmins' kick try at Brisbane, 2000
*Jamie Lyon's try in 2002, set up by Johns with the grubber kick.
*Mark McGaw in 1991, at the SFS, before O'Connor's great kick
*Mark McGaw in 1990 at the SFS
*Laurie Daley's individual try in 1993 at the SFS
*Brett Kenny's try in 1985, that sealed the series.

Charlie Saab said:
yeah that Daley try was great game 3 1994.
Ray Warren creamed his pants

"Daley, Daley, Laurie Daley, arrrrrr that is magnificent"

You shoulda heard the NZ commentary of that play by Graeme Hughes

"Daley...one, two there, four, FIIIIIIIIIVE....TRY NUMBER 2"!!

it's like he previously knew Daley was gonna step all 5.

Latest posts