What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greece Withdraws From World Sevens Qualifiers

Costaki

Juniors
Greece has pulled out of next month's World Sevens qualifiers in order to concentrate on their tour to New Caledonia in early March.

Greece was all set to feature in the qualifying tournament but will instead field a team in the Wollongong Sevens on February 21-22.

read the rest of the article at my site www.greekrugbyleague.cjb.net

also i remember someone saying that they wanted more info on the usa and greece match well its been scrapped it wont be happening but in 2005 the usa has been invited to a tournament in greece so we might c the match then

dimitri

First Grade
im very upset i was looking forward to seeing them play in the sevens

they could have had a great team

and would have brought a great international flavour to the tournament

this is really sad news

:cry:

yakstorm

First Grade
Why didn't they enter a like 'A' team in the Sevens if they want to save their main squad for NC?

Its better promotions wise if they compete than not. Plus also they may of discovered some new talent for the team.

mono_mal

Juniors
i agree yakstorm.
the publicitity and experience gained you'd think would be enough of a reason to enter the competition for the greek rugby league.
they will not be taking all players to New Caledonia so i cant see why they dont field a development squad. i'm sure a number of players also wont be able to make the trip to new caledonia due to financial reasons and due to jobs etc.
whilst they would be no realistic chance of winning the qualifying spot they could still be competitive with the likes of Singapore and Japan.

mono_mal

Juniors
you wouldnt think the qualifiers would be too expensive though.
and sponsorship, and merchandise sales on the day should be able to compensate costs.
i really dont understand the greek rugby leagues decision.
do they still plan on competiting in the Wollongong Fraternity Sevens?

DIEHARD

----
Im dissapointed. I hope its the correct decision. It cant cost that much for locally based Greek players to show up and play a few games. And have uniforms...They could unearth some talent. The positives outway the negatives.

Costaki

Juniors
the greek rugby league will be playing in the wollongong sevens and the cost to enter a side in the world sevens is $7,000 and thats just to enter and if the greek rl didn't make it then thats 7k gone

Jeffles

Bench
$7000. Is that true. Just to enter the qualiier at St Mary's. Is that a mandatory entry fee or are they cost estimates?

Costaki, what is the $7000 for?

Costaki

Juniors
i don't really know what the $7,000 is for but all i know is that it costs $7,000 to enter a side in the world sevens

russ13

First Grade
Costaki

Although this is not strictly on the subject of the thread but I think you may be interested in the Greek influence on rugby league in south-west Queensland.

Years ago a Greek family the Coronas established hotels in Charleville and later at Quilpie & Tambo in this region. They also supported rugby league there & to this day the colours of the teams of each of the towns is blue & white-the national colours of Greece.

So if you out that way stop in & have a drink. The 'Coronas Hotel' at Charleville is heritage listed.

How is that for a bit of trivia?

russ13

First Grade
I have not been out there for some years. I met a old mate of mine on the Westlandlander train (I got on in Toowoomba) who is the coach of Quilpie & he told me this story.

There are now 4 or 5 teams in the competition out there now. He said there was a bit of trouble with an aboriginal side (too much fighting) out there but it seems to have been sorted out.

A number of promininate NRL players came from that area. Adrian Vowles is one I can recall. Years (1963 I think) ago Bob banks was captain coach of Cunnnamulla & played for Australia from there.

The union club out there folded :D