What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green throws down gauntlet to Mundine

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Green throws down gauntlet to Mundine
JUSTIN CHADWICK
February 11, 2010
AAP

IBO cruiserweight world champion Danny Green says arch rival Anthony Mundine should leave the country in disgrace if he turns down the deal of a lifetime for a re-match.

In an amazing turn of events that has dramatically boosted the chances of a re-match that looked dead and buried just months ago, Green announced he was prepared to fight Mundine in Sydney instead of his hometown of Perth.

He even said he'd put his cruiserweight world title on the line, which he defended when he knocked out American great Roy Jones Jr last year.

And to further entice Mundine - a proud Aborigine - Green said 10 per cent of the multi-million dollar purse would go to a charity fund assisting young indigenous Australians, with the remaining money to be split evenly between the pair.

Flanked by Aboriginal AFL player Des Headland from the Fremantle Dockers, former West Coast premiership defender David Wirrpanda and school kids from Girrawheen High School, Green called on Mundine to come out of 'hiding' and accept the offer.

"I don't see how he could possibly turn this offer down," Green said on Thursday.

"And if he does I suggest he check his passport and leave this country because he'd have to hang his head in shame, especially considering that 10 per cent of the purse will be going directly to the indigenous youth of this country.

"For me personally it's an investment in our future and investment in the indigenous youth in this country.

"This I think is what's going to smoke him out of the hole he's been hiding in since he called me out of retirement."

Green lost to Mundine in a unanimous points decision at super middleweight in Sydney in 2006 and hung up the gloves two years later.

But at the persistent urging of Mundine, Green came out of retirement in February last year and just 10 months later thrust his name into boxing immortality by knocking out legend Roy Jones Jr in Sydney.

Green tried to lure Bernard Hopkins to Australia but the American superstar instead chose to fight Jones Jr.

Mundine has shied away at the prospect of fighting Green since the 36-year-old came out of retirement.

But Green said there were no longer any excuses for the man nicknamed 'Choc' and suggested the cruiserweight fight could be held on Anzac Day.

"Don't let Anthony Mundine or anyone around him fool you about the weight division difference, that there's a massive difference," Green said.

"All Anthony has to do is not starve himself to make the weight and we're the same, simple.

"I'll lose a few kilos, he just doesn't have to starve himself and we're at the same weight.

"So don't let anyone fool you that there's a massive difference in weight.

"And don't forget he's already said in the press that he'll whip me at heavyweight.

"Now I won't be anywhere near heavyweight, so if he's going to whip me at heavyweight, there's no problem doing me at cruiserweight.

"I think there's nothing fairer than what we're doing. He's done very well out of the boxing game.

"He's been fighting guys that are of no threat, now it's time he steps up.

"Don't forget he called me out of retirement, I accepted the challenge, came out of retirement and he ran the other way."

© 2010 AAP

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/green-throws-down-gauntlet-to-mundine-20100211-nu46.html

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Again, really?

So sick of Mundine hiding in Australia. For him to be ever taken seriously globally, he needs to get to America and fight now.

FWIW, at Cruiserweigh, Green wins IMO.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see that happening at Cruiser Weight or what ever weight division they agree on.

Mundine said he would take on Green at Heavywieght, lets see if he can back that up with actions.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Again, really?

So sick of Mundine hiding in Australia. For him to be ever taken seriously globally, he needs to get to America and fight now.

FWIW, at Cruiserweigh, Green wins IMO.

wont happen

he's been banned from boxing in America because of comments he made about 9/11 supporting the Muslims

Country Bronco

Juniors
I thought Danny had finally moved on. Bit disappointing to be honest.

Yeah agreed. Green fights better at light heavy than mundine and mundine is better at super middle. Nothing to gain in this fight accept revenge which is not so good notion. Hopkins or tarver were good fights for green maybe if he agreed to fight them in the US it would help bring next fight back here. Green's beaten a legend although roy wasn't in his prime but was a move in the right direction. Fighting mundine is two steps back.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
That is quite possibly the dumbest post ever..

short memory Mong ?

unfortunately I cant find any links/articles to back me up but it was in all the media outlets at the time, goes back a few years now

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Mundine was the subject of further controversy when he was asked by a television interviewer for his opinion, as a Muslim, on the 9/11 attacks on the United States. "It's not about terrorism, it's about fighting for God's laws and America's brought it upon themselves for what they've done," he replied, according to Kathy Marks in London's Independent newspaper. The reaction, both public and official, was swift and severe: he was stripped of his world ranking of No. 26 by the World Boxing Council, and the International Boxing Federation advised him not to visit the United States any time soon.

http://www.answers.com/topic/anthony-mundine

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
there's no doubt more articles out there but you get the jist of it

Mong

Post Whore
Hahaha.

He isn't banned from boxing in the states dopey.. Your article doesn't say that either

El Diablo

Post Whore
_1689048_mundine300.jpg

Country Bronco

Juniors
And another loss..

Quite possible but two steps back in the direction of where he could go and fight a creditable fighter. Instead of a trash mouth arrogant chump that is afraid of fighting anyone with talent. Mundine knows he would lick canvas against sturm and palvik so he hides. In fact he called green out of retirement and hides from him even though he whooped his arse in the first fight is a mockery of himself. Should go back to the big brother house with all his mates and stop bashing up on australians.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Last i knew pavlik had signed to fight Martinez in April and Sturm isn't fighting at the moment due to having a new addition to his family.

He is hiding from Green?

For Greens sake they shouldn't fight again.

When did mundine move to middleweight? How much time does he need to fight palvik or sturm? They're world champions. And have fought some very hard fights and won. Which fights have been hard for mundine against tough opposition has mundine won? Ill answer this one: Zero. Beaten by Kessler, Ottke and Siaca. He's a nobody!!!!

Mong

Post Whore
Ummm.

How do you know they haven't approached Pavlik or Sturm previously?

Latest posts