What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenberg wants 2nd Melb team

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pretty sure this is induction item 1 for any new NRL CEO. Its been spouted verbatim by NRL CEO'S since 2008!

‘’I think we’d be crazy not to keep our options open,’’ Greenberg said.
‘’I think aspirationally (sic), absolutely we’d look at it in the future. I don’t think it is something that will happen in the short-term. It would take significant investment and you need to understand how you would create more value.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
He's right, we'd be crazy not to do it. Melbourne is the second largest city in the country. The problem is that the organisation that he is the CEO of has failed since 1998 to first return a team to Perth which is the largest RL market outside of the heartlands, has failed to return a team to Adelaide, the 5th largest city in the country, once the 20 year superleague exclusivity clause expired in 2017 failed to create a Brisbane derby which is a no brainer and has failed to expand into a second NZ market (even in the second teir) and failed to do anything about Sydney all of which are projects that need to happen before Melbourne 2.

If even some of this work had been done; NZ 2 to NSW Cup in 2012, Perth and Brisbane 2 to NRL in 2017, Roosters to CC and Dragons to Illawarra, make a decision on Manly in 2018 and plans to add Adelaide in 2022 then we might be in a position to start looking at bids for Melbourne 2 for entry into the NRL around 2027.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah nothing wrong with what he said, the NRL should consider a second club in Melbourne, especially if there are bids from Melbourne, in fact in my opinion it's an inevitability that Melbourne will get another club in the NRL eventually, it just makes too much commercial sense.

Would I in a perfect world add another club to Melbourne now if I was in their shoes? Probably not if there are reasonable bids from Perth, Wellington, Christchurch, Brisbane, and Adelaide on the table, but even so everything should be open to consideration no matter how dumb the plan looks at first glance, and as I said before a second Melbourne team isn't a bad idea at all.

The difference between a Perth bid and a 2nd Melbourne bid is that a new team in WA adds a new market which includes a new timeslot for the broadcasters.

A new team in Vic not only adds the potential for a southern rivalry but in addition it has the potential to take marketshare (corporate dollars) away from fumbleball in its home territory.

Nice to see such super quick negativity from PR on the topic. Dont look now, his insecurity is showing :cool:

Vee

First Grade
Greenberg must be campaigning atm, he's offering everything to everyone. One day, he's offering the 9s to Brisbane, then Perth/Melbourne/Western Sydney. Then he goesdown to Melbourne and offers them a 2nd team even though he's got half a dozen good bids on the table from elsewhere and no mention of bid from Melb.

Just another BS politician.

jim_57

Staff member
A lot depends on whether the NRL goes with the bid model or just pick where they want going forward. Melbourne doesn't have a bid team for a 2nd and even if the NRL took control I still think Perth & Brisbane 2 are the obvious ones next time around.

After that who knows? A lot of options ranging in probability, but a lot can change in the 10-15+ years before NRL will look to go beyond 18 teams (if they ever even get there)..

NZ2 (Auckland 2, Wellington, Christchurch or some combo of those)
Adelaide
Melbourne 2
Brisbane 3
PNG (Perhaps based in Darwin or Cairns)
Central QLD

Those are the obvious ones before you even consider the possibility of a Toronto inspired team popping up in Asia or Hawaii.

Diesel

Coach
Any bids that did not succeed would need to be on standby if any existing teams drop off due to financial reasons.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
From my opinion let's focus on our strong points and areas that can serve RL better. The NRL just doesn't want to be another AFL, we HAVE to go to areas where we can grow and not remain stagnant;
PNG
NZ 2 (Chch/Welly)
Perth
all those places have some kind of RL history and offers markets with fewer competition from other sports and would be wise choices, depending if the right people are behind those bids. All have a lot to offer RL.

Look at the AFL I don't think it will ever have clubs or competitions professionally outside of Australia, offering no higher level of competition for their players other than the domestic competition which is the AFL. If the NRL have that mindset then we can continue to lose players with high ambitions to rugby.

Any other potential bids should go through the NSW/QLD Premierships whether they be from Adelaide, Darwin, the Pacific Islands, Central Coast, Central QLD, Asia, etc... Personally I don't think Greenberg has any idea. If we want somebody running the NRL they need to be ambitious. Maybe Kevin Rudd, at least he can speak Chinese.

The Great Dane

First Grade
A lot depends on whether the NRL goes with the bid model or just pick where they want going forward. Melbourne doesn't have a bid team for a 2nd and even if the NRL took control I still think Perth & Brisbane 2 are the obvious ones next time around.

After that who knows? A lot of options ranging in probability, but a lot can change in the 10-15+ years before NRL will look to go beyond 18 teams (if they ever even get there)..

NZ2 (Auckland 2, Wellington, Christchurch or some combo of those)
Adelaide
Melbourne 2
Brisbane 3
PNG (Perhaps based in Darwin or Cairns)
Central QLD

Those are the obvious ones before you even consider the possibility of a Toronto inspired team popping up in Asia or Hawaii.

I don't think that we should be talking about third clubs in any one city unless the number in Sydney is reduced, it's simply not feasible unless the NRL decides that they'd rather have three clubs in said city instead of two in said city and one in a completely new market.
In other words the only way it could work would be if they sacrificed Adelaide to put a third club in Brisbane, unless the NRL are going to radically restructure the NRL (and lower tiers), which I highly doubt will happen.

But I digress.

King hit

Coach
And yet, the Storm were built on Hill and Kimmorley from the Mariners.

They were also built on the Western Reds (Geyer, Howe, Kearns). The Mariners concept is so stupid it's funny. Did they really believe that Newcastle and the Hunter would turn their back on the Knights? Morons