What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

scarcev

Juniors
Well they obviously don't understand what was on the line here.

Again. He hasn't been found guilty. You could charge him with the Kennedy assassination, the death of Diana and Sept 11, and he should still be able to play until found guilty.

Theres another question here, would you really wanting him playing? Imagine him running out at Leichardt on Friday, I hope he does tbh, we have nothing to play for and itd be just what we need to fire up out there. He'd be targetted and hammered (probably what he needs to be honest but anyway), crowds would bait him, even decent refs would probably ignore it, he wouldnt be in the right head space, your sponsorship deals would all be questioned, financial crisis your club is currently in would be worse, and would other players really want to play with the women glasser anyway?

I'm with Quigs here, ask him, no bulldust did you do it, if he says yes, then punt him, if he says no then let him play knowing that if he is found guilty he's punted and will pay the club damages (least then you will get an honest answer). For what its worth, he's gone, next few days will see Bird ruin a genuine finals contender.

The Dodger

First Grade
its too late now, he needs to be stood down until proven otherwise.

everyone is right, it will damage the club which is way more important than one player.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. His off-field behaviour has been threatening to derail our Premiership aspirations for some time and I can't see that we are going to be any worse off without him. His head has obviously been in a bad place for a while and the club really could not play this any other way.

How anyone could do what he is "alleged" to have done is beyond me. Then to try and get a mate to take the blame for it (assuming the media reports are right) is disgraceful. Yes, he is innocent until proven guilty, but in light of the other incidents, it's hard to not think the worst. I just hope that his ex makes a speedy and full recovery.

It's going to be a tough job from here in, but not an impossible one. We've been labelled a two trick pony (Gallen & Bird) for a while, so it presents a clear opportunity for someone else to step up. It's also a great chance for the team to show that they can do it without one of their (so-called) "stars". Canberra were pretty much written off after Carney's departure and they've played out of their skin since. Hopefully we can do the same.

After being proud of our club's clean, family oriented image (at least up until ET finished his career and Langy left), we're starting to show that we've got the same bad apples as much of the rest of the competition. It's also a real worry for the game as a whole and if I were a potential sponsor, I'd certainly be giving it a second thought. Each incident of this type just diminishes the value of the NRL brand and they wonder why junior participation has fallen away in recent years!

Anyway, I hope we can do it this year. It will be all the sweeter for not having to rely on a grub like this.

Inferno

Coach
CRONULLA star Greg Bird telephoned a friend and asked him how he felt about taking the blame for him, after he allegedly glassed his girlfriend in the face during an argument.

Bird, 24, who faced Sutherland Local Court today, charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm and assault occasioning actual bodily harm allegedly told police his flat mate and friend of a decade, Brent Watson, was to blame for the assault on his girlfriend Kathryn Milligan.

But after receiving six missed phone calls and two text messages urging him not to speak with police, Watson eventually came clean.

As the Shark's star was granted conditional bail, details of how he allegedly lied to police and tried to coerce his friend in to taking the blame over the attack on Ms Milligan were revealed.

Ms Milligan, a US student, who has been living with Bird since July, suffered a fractured eye socket and lacerated left eye after Bird allegedly smashed a glass in her face during an argument at his Cronulla unit on Sunday morning.

The court was told Bird and Ms Milligan initially told police Watson was responsible for the alleged atack.

Bird allegedly put Watson in contact with a solicitor who told him: "We don't want this matter getting in to the media".

However, Watson later attended Miranda Police station where he gave a statement, absolving himself of any involvement.

Do you know Greg Bird and Kate Milligan? Call us in confidence on 02 9288 3413.

According to a statement of facts, Bird allegedly sent a text message to Watson while he was being interviewed, telling him: "My manager is helping us sort this s*** out".

The court was told Watson had left the Cronulla unit to attend a golf competition at Bankstown early on Sunday morning where he received a frantic phone call from Bird asking for his help.

"Something has happened to Katie. it was an accident," Bird said in the phone call.

"There is blood everywhere in the unit. We have told police it's you. How do you feel about that?"

The revelations of Bird's attempt to allegedly blame his best friend come as he was stood down by the NRL Cronulla Sharks club over the incident. More details here.

Bird, a NSW Origin and Kangaroos representative player, today faced a charge of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on Ms Milligan, who was due to undergo surgery for glass wounds to her eye.

Sydney's Prince of Wales Hospital said Ms Milligan had sought absolute privacy and it was unable to comment on her condition.

Bird, 24, was granted bail by Magistrate Bev Schurr, who ordered he comply with the conditions of an interim apprehended violence order (AVO) issued yesterday.

Under the terms of the order, Bird must not make contact with Ms Milligan or any neighbours who may have heard the alleged attack or witnessed the pair leaving their unit.

Bird spent the night in custody after being refused bail by police, and was released just before 2pm (AEST) today after an "acceptable person" posted a $5,000 surety.

Prosecutor Acting Sergeant Matt Zalunardo told the court Bird lied to police by alleging other people were in the apartment at the time of the incident, about 7.30am (AEST) yesterday.

"The accused person ... is actively trying to deceive police by inferring other people were involved in the matter," Sergeant Zalunardo said.

He said it appeared Bird was trying to "pin the offence" on someone else.

Sgt Zalunardo said Mr Watson was at Bankstown golf course by 7.15am (AEST) on the day of the alleged assault.

He also said a neighbour who recognised Bird's voice noted no other male voice in the unit at the time.

He added that a neighbour looked in Bird's unit and saw it was vacant after Bird and Ms Milligan left for the hospital.

Police allege that as the pair left the apartment block, Bird told Ms Milligan to "stop being a f king idiot", and denied attacking her.

Bird's lawyer Les Nicholls challenged the police facts, saying their informant was not in court and the alleged victim had yet to give a statement.

"The facts that are before Your Honour are circumstantial," Mr Nicholls said.

He told the court he was twice refused access to the hand-written notes of police who attended the alleged incident, and added Bird was not a flight risk and had ties to the community.

"If there is any breach of bail, he could be spending a long time in custody," Ms Schurr said.

Bird and his lawyer left the court without commenting to the waiting media, and got into a car driven by his manager, Gavin Orr.

The matter was adjourned for mention in Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court on October 8 - two days after the NRL grand final.

Link

Jasdragon

Juniors
Arn't you sick and tired of everyone trying to cover everyones arse because they are c0ckheads.

It's all about being accountable for your actions.

I am a long long way from being a saint, but I learnt a long time ago that I do what I do, pissed or sober.

If the local office johnny had allegedly glassed your neighbour daughter you would be screaming for him to be hung.

Times have changed. Changed big time. in the good old days if you were stepping out of line on the piss more then likely you were told by one of the older blokes to pull your head in. And you did.

Now days they commit the crime and then have fifteen excuses or 'escape' plans thrown at them. Bi polar, depression, sexually abused as a child.

Simple terms ... if you are prepared to do the crime, then be prepared to do the time.

No excuses offered. The club has no responsibility to any players actions these days. They have all been warned, they have all seen what can happen, and f**k me dead, they all no what is acceptable and what is not.

Looks like our dickheads just can't help but be dickheads. I got a laugh out of blueing in a Mosh Pit. But this is just not on.

Bare in mind I have seen some women that deserve floggin's big time. But that is a rearity.

I'm talkin masculine lezzo's beating up blokes. I don't think the alleged victim falls into that category.

Oh well its more interesting times ahead .... us sharkies ..... never a dull moment.

And I used to laugh when I heard about Knuckles Hornery trying to rip the fountain out of its fittings at the front of the Berries Club.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Very true

If thats the truth, well sorry to say Greg Bird great player you are, but you will be spending a long time behind bars.

You have potenially destroyed a young womans life, and wrecked not just your football career but your entire future

Ausguy

Coach
gee bird your really out done yourself this time... if all of this is true (and it looks that way) id feel much better if the club sacked him now.... standing him down doesnt seem enough does it... he is the a dill of the highest order, i still cant beleive it.

anyway moving right along... its not the end of the world... i think he may have done more harm than good had he stayed on. plenty of players to fill the hole. we did alright without him when he was injured... the Aus team will probably suffer more than the Sharks... who is now the Aus 5/8... Braith? FMD.

*edit* forgot about one D Lockyer.

samshark

Juniors
When I found this out I thought the fact that he blames his mate is almost as bad as the assault itself.

Do these blokes think they are fugging untouchable or something? They get the money, get the girls and think they can hit the grog and piss on people and assault women and everything will be fine. Fugg me. What has happened to this generation. Quigs is spot on.

Bird must have a serious ego for him to think his mate would be prepared to take the rap for this.

Cant believe he would also bombard his mate with calls and text messages afterwards. Apparantly the police dont have the ability to obtain phone records. What a fugg up. What an idiot.

leaguelover3

juniors
Leaguelover,

You would have to be the biggest waste of space I have seen in a forum.

What is the point of posting that pic.

Did aliens f**k your cattle some time ago.

Maybe they farked you - you sensationalist farkin inbred.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Sorry if it's it cut close to home champ, :)
Grub Fans, Grub Coach, Grub Players.

Ever heard of the comment 41 yrs won f**k all :lol:
(make it 42)

Since 73

First Grade
No surprise he's denied it.
Latu is the only bloke in the whole 100 years to put his hand up.

(oh, and wayne Richards admitted hitting the roids at the knights whilst mad Dog and O'davis both denied it - Result: Rrichards was the only non-star and the only one to get punted)

Surely the girl's testimony has to be pretty accurate. She'd have had to be there wouldn't she - and you'd have a bloody good view of someone glassing ya.

Unless it's a similar denial to wayne carey's where he said he meant to throw a drink in his girlfriend's face but pushed the glass too far.

i read a report where it said it happened at 7:30am but they didn't drive to the hospital til 8:30am.
Cops then found a trail of blood from his apartment door to the lift, in the lift across the foyer and into his carpark.
Seems they have been trying to stop the bleeding for a while, but obviously realised the job was too big.

DJShaksta

First Grade
When I found this out I thought the fact that he blames his mate is almost as bad as the assault itself.

Do these blokes think they are fugging untouchable or something? They get the money, get the girls and think they can hit the grog and piss on people and assault women and everything will be fine. Fugg me. What has happened to this generation. Quigs is spot on.

Bird must have a serious ego for him to think his mate would be prepared to take the rap for this.

Cant believe he would also bombard his mate with calls and text messages afterwards. Apparantly the police dont have the ability to obtain phone records. What a fugg up. What an idiot.

While I in no way condone that action, I do think that Greg may have been suffering a bit of shock and panic himself at the time.
While that is no excuse, it is a reason for those actions.

Bottom line is Greg Bird farked up in a massive way, he will have to pay for that for the rest of his life. His girlfriend will have mental and most likely physical scars from this incident that she will have to deal with for the rest of her life.
I genuinly feel sorry for the Birdman, he has thrown his life away pretty much.
I imagine he is feeling pretty depressed and remorseful right now. I am sure he hates himself for his actions and wishes he could somehow go back to that Sunday morning and change what happened. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, lets all hope he learns from this and after his punishment is completed he really is a reformed person.

Special K

Coach
some interesting things said on channel 10

i wont post them but seriously wtf was with her "earlier claim"

Since 73

First Grade
Seems to be way too much 'our season is over'.

When I last looked we are in the semis and we have 2 more games to play before then.

In a couple of weeks this'll be history.
Sticky will put a thousand miles between Bird and the club and players will be ordered to stay away and forget the sympathy phone calls.
If he broke his leg it'd be 'do it for Birdy'.
But the difference is this leaves a sickening taste in the mouth.
That is what Sticky needs to work on - and time will heal that.

The club will cop it.
In the media, from rival fans at the ground and from social commentators. But Sticky has to let the others know they've done nothing wrong, and when they're in the sheds on friday night and they pull the jersey over their heads he will be the furthest thing from their minds hopefully.

Fire up sharks - the actions of one thug doesn't paint this great club with the same brush.

samshark

Juniors
No surprise he's denied it.
Latu is the only bloke in the whole 100 years to put his hand up.

(oh, and wayne Richards admitted hitting the roids at the knights whilst mad Dog and O'davis both denied it - Result: Rrichards was the only non-star and the only one to get punted)

Surely the girl's testimony has to be pretty accurate. She'd have had to be there wouldn't she - and you'd have a bloody good view of someone glassing ya.

Unless it's a similar denial to wayne carey's where he said he meant to throw a drink in his girlfriend's face but pushed the glass too far.

i read a report where it said it happened at 7:30am but they didn't drive to the hospital til 8:30am.
Cops then found a trail of blood from his apartment door to the lift, in the lift across the foyer and into his carpark.
Seems they have been trying to stop the bleeding for a while, but obviously realised the job was too big.

On the ball.

She hasnt made a statement yet and she too was blaming the flat mate when they first spoke to police.

Will be interesting to see if she does step up and make the statement.

Dragon

Coach
Yeah if she was lying to the cops about Birds mate glassing her initially, it doesn't exactly help the prosecutions case i would think.

I mean its pretty obvious what has gone on but the law just has too many f*cking shades of grey these days.

Ausguy

Coach
i missed it... i cant handle listening to any of it... i dont know what to believe. I can handle it if he is guilty but i hate the beat up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts