What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

millersnose

Post Whore
Regardless... the maximum sentence for any given offence that can be issued in any local Court is 2 years.

If the Bird team appeal, the entire Local Court transcript will be reviewed in the District Court by a Judge against the terms of the appeal as submitted.

EDIT: On an aside, I had no idea up until recently that it was being heard in the Local Court. I'm surprised that the ODPP didn't elect to have it sent to the District Court.

do you know if found guilty on seperate charges can they run the sentences concurrently?

Gaba

First Grade
Once he lied it took away any doubt of guilt, he needed to convince the court he was not guilty which he couldnt have once he pleaded guilty to the mischief charge

millersnose

Post Whore
thats how i saw it gabba

i couldnt see how he could admit the first without it leading to the 2nd and 3rd

also the fact gilligan didnt put in a statement was as daming as if she did afaiac

Not quite Gaba.

But you may have touched on a point... the legal team obviously made the decision not to put Bird on the stand. He would've been a liability up there so they must've weighed the fact that he is as dumb as a box of hair against the fact that he was their only way of getting on the record a version of events other than that which the prosecution put forward.

Bird's team chose not to put him up there to say, "I said all that because I was scared of the media. It was an accident but I knew how the media would portray it" etc etc.

Does anyone have any information on who the defence called once the prosecution case had finished? (Another strange point imho, I couldn't believe they didn't want to cross-examine).

And ftr.... I am surprised he was found guilty of the reckless wounding.

I thought he would get pinged for the other two, but not the wounding.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
And ftr.... I am surprised he was found guilty of the reckless wounding.

I thought he would get pinged for the other two, but not the wounding.

I am led to believe the medical evidence and events witnessed at Sutho A&E were very strong and that certain statements made were very telling.

NB I say medical not forensic or scientific and I don't mean police statements.

There's an old addage. Loose lips sink ships.

Dave Q

Coach
i agree and i dont think it was an accident entirely

BUT - it was a result from his actions that she was inujured so whether it be an accident or not - its his fault

Some kind of criminal negligence, it may have changed the charge...maybe the penalty... I am not sure. Someone else here should know.

A guilty plea asap, no circus etc, and a full explanation of the events...

As for sentancing, max 2 years at local court, here are the mitigating factors, his lawyers are busy studying:

Crimes Sentancing Proceedure Act sec 21A

3) Mitigating factors The mitigating factors to be taken into account in determining the appropriate sentence for an offence are as follows:
(a) the injury, emotional harm, loss or damage caused by the offence was not substantial,
(b) the offence was not part of a planned or organised criminal activity,
(c) the offender was provoked by the victim,
(d) the offender was acting under duress,
(e) the offender does not have any record (or any significant record) of previous convictions,
(f) the offender was a person of good character,
(g) the offender is unlikely to re-offend,
(h) the offender has good prospects of rehabilitation, whether by reason of the offender’s age or otherwise,
(i) the remorse shown by the offender for the offence, but only if:
(i) the offender has provided evidence that he or she has accepted responsibility for his or her actions, and
(ii) the offender has acknowledged any injury, loss or damage caused by his or her actions or made reparation for such injury, loss or damage (or both),
(j) the offender was not fully aware of the consequences of his or her actions because of the offender’s age or any disability,
(k) a plea of guilty by the offender (as provided by section 22),
(l) the degree of pre-trial disclosure by the defence (as provided by section 22A),
(m) assistance by the offender to law enforcement authorities (as provided by section 23).

So apart from addressing and highlighting the favourable points above, inter alia:-

They should be emphasising his good deeds as an individual and differentiate those from those he has done because he had to as part of his job.

He will need a number of references that address specifics, not like a job reference etc.

And he will need to tell the court about the event etc. he cant blame his lawyers at all.

A good QC might charge $5000 for the effort and if he wears a really bad penalty, he can appeal on severity, although he runs the risk that the higher court might actually increase the penalty. They have to provide a warning that they are thinking of increasing it, so you can pull out if you want to.
Do you roll the dice?

As for his legal team, we dont know what he told them for them for them to consider running the "not guilty" plea in the first instance. They cant make up his mind, they would have told him the down side and the risks.

What we do know is that he has lost a discount worth between 10 and 25% of his sentance.

Not the best outcome, but they arent the magistrate, theres only so much they could have promised him.

Last edited:

samshark

Juniors
do you know if found guilty on seperate charges can they run the sentences concurrently?

Yes they can even if the incidents are not related. Ive seen cases for example involving multiple shoplifting charges (all different incidents) that are all rolled up together for sentencing.

He is sentenced in June for this and then back in court in July for the Fusion hearing.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Yes they can even if the incidents are not related. Ive seen cases for example involving multiple shoplifting charges (all different incidents) that are all rolled up together for sentencing.

He is sentenced in June for this and then back in court in July for the Fusion hearing.

Yes and I should of recalled that.

Cases in point - pedophiles. Nearly all of them get concurrent sentences. There was one in my centre once with 147 separate charges. He got fugg all time all up due to concurrency. Like 6 or 7 years on top from memory.

At least he chose to give himself a life sentence.

Sick phuques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts