What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharks8601

Juniors
im not saying what i heard was true reefy
it is like you said a rumour
however it does support allot of your posts/arguments and hence why I agree it what you a saying

Jasdragon

Juniors
I bet a deal will be done between the both of them. She will get a heap of cash and be on her way after a while, money talks.

sharks8601

Juniors
thats the not problem
its what the club is going to do with the pressure from the media etc even if the case it dropped

sharks8601

Juniors
BRAD WALTER AND ANDREW WEBSTER
27/08/2008 7:00:01 AM

CRONULLA'S sponsors have backed the club's handling of the Greg Bird affair as the parents of the American girlfriend he is alleged to have glassed flew out from the US to be by her bedside.

After learning on Monday morning that Bird had been charged with two counts of assault over the incident in his Cronulla unit that left Katie Milligan with a fractured eye socket, a number of concerned sponsors contacted the Sharks to ask how the club intended to deal with the situation.

The previous evening the club had issued a statement denying Bird was involved. But Cronulla chief executive Tony Zappia said the sponsors were satisfied by the club's decision to stand down Bird indefinitely from playing and training.

"That didn't have any influence on our decision but some of our sponsors were keen to know what stance the club was going to take," Zappia said. "I think they were satisfied by how we have handled it."

The Sharks held a scheduled board meeting last night at which directors were updated on the case but no further action is expected until after Bird's next appearance in court on October 8. The 24-year-old has been released on bail following the alleged incident.

However, coach Ricky Stuart and his players will attempt to escape the glare of the Sutherland Shire by relocating to the other side of the Harbour Bridge.

Zappia confirmed that Stuart has taken the extraordinary step of moving his side to a North Sydney hotel in preparation for Friday night's match against Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval.

Meanwhile, Rugby League Accredited Player Agent Committee operations manager Paul Osborne said no complaint had been made against Bird's manager, Gavin Orr.

Sutherland Local Court heard on Monday that Bird allegedly sent friend Brent Watson a text message while he was being interviewed by police that said: "My manager is helping us sort this sh*t out."
Orr has only been accredited since September last year and had been previously denied following the allegation he had forged the signature of Eels forward Fuifui Moimoi on a contract with the Melbourne Storm when the player was already signed to Parramatta. Osborne said: "We're watching the situation."

source: http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=...sPTiCg&usg=AFQjCNFJ62om8-QpImrYx_gvdMvbr_77IA

Surely

Post Whore
Yeah, but there's the final warning, and the one after that, and the one after that .....

Footy players like Bird and Carney really take a lot of notice of being read the riot act and given final warnings.

And which warnings has he previously been given ?

didn't you start a club and forum so we wouldn't have to put up with your stupidity??

Assuming that was aimed at me, no. I can't see what I've said that is stupid - it mostly stacks up. Bird did something which he denies. He and his representive have seemed to be acting in very devious ways that suggest he is guilty of some wrongdoing and knows it. The club has acted reasonably in suspending him, I wouldn't have expected any more at this stage. Credit to them.

He may or may not end up getting convicted. The case may fall over due to insufficient evidence, for whatever reason. If it does, the club is in a difficult position. Is the standard they expect of their players merely escaping criminal guilt, or something higher, like being a vaguely decent member of society? Personally I think most organisations expect the latter.

You might disagree with me, but I don't see the need for insults. All that does is tell me you're losing the argument based on facts or logic.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Assuming that was aimed at me, no. I can't see what I've said that is stupid - it mostly stacks up. Bird did something which he denies. He and his representive have seemed to be acting in very devious ways that suggest he is guilty of some wrongdoing and knows it. The club has acted reasonably in suspending him, I wouldn't have expected any more at this stage. Credit to them.

He may or may not end up getting convicted. The case may fall over due to insufficient evidence, for whatever reason. If it does, the club is in a difficult position. Is the standard they expect of their players merely escaping criminal guilt, or something higher, like being a vaguely decent member of society? Personally I think most organisations expect the latter.

You might disagree with me, but I don't see the need for insults. All that does is tell me you're losing the argument based on facts or logic.

Stop using common sense mate - you'll be laughed at here.

STSAE

Juniors
Greeks do it all the time. Sometimes just for fun.

A good one?

ARE YOU THAT OTHER IDIOTS SIAMESE BROTHER???

ARE YOU BOTH JEWISH OR JUST ONE OF YOU? That would have made your first 7 days of life interesting conversation.

if it is an eye hospital why cant anybody find her??

I agree, but don't be too down on yourself(ves)

Greek Bird the sunday morning partier cracking a glass in his womans eye accidently of course.

A good manager whose now bought himself into the police line of questioning and given the media MORE ammo????

I see when you cant invent an excuse or a sad attempt at sarcasm you resort to the lowest common denominator, why should I be surprised.

Youre the king of the forum, youve done great work today. Sorry for doubting you o wise one. :crazy:

:sarcasm::sarcasm:

STSAE

Juniors

This is a great post, I agree mate.

:sarcasm::sarcasm:

sharks8601

Juniors
Cronulla say they are still waiting to hear from Greg Bird about the events that led to the Test star being stood down indefinitely from the NRL club.
Bird has been charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm on his girlfriend, Katie Milligan, and is due to appear in court again on October 8.
The NSW and Test star contacted the club after the alleged incident on Sunday but chief executive Tony Zappia admitted "a reasonably different" version of events was heard in court on Tuesday.
Zappia said the club still wanted to meet with Bird and his manager Gavin Orr to discuss the incident.
"There's intentions to meet with Greg and his management company, yes," Zappia said.
"We've extended an invitation, it's just a case of confirmation as to when and where.
"Obviously he'll be getting some legal advice, it's just a case of when there is a stage that things have settled down I assume, so we're just waiting on that.
"It's just a case of finding out what did occur."
Asked whether he was disappointed in Bird's lack of communication with the club so far, Zappia said: "I'll make no comment on that."
Bird's career hangs in the balance, with reports he will be sacked by the Sharks regardless of the findings.
He faces a possible jail term if convicted.
Zappia did not want to get into reports Bird's career with the Sharks was finished.
"It's not a decision for me," Zappia said.
"I won't be making the decision alone, it's a full club decision."
The club has removed Bird's player profile from its official website.
Meanwhile, police are reportedly investigating a possible breach of Bird's bail conditions following a visit by Orr to the lock's injured girlfriend in hospital on Tuesday afternoon.

source: http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=...383wCg&usg=AFQjCNGWrrrdVxNPu5sJ8pz2QH8S0p_uUw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts