What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
We may never know what happened, whether it was an accident or an assault, if both Milligan and Bird say it was an accident. In that case I think the DPP might not pursue the case due to lack of evidence. A jury would not be able to say Bird was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

It's not over even for Bird if the charges in the current matter are dropped. He has been summonsed over another alleged assault. The there are the allegations that he tried to decieve Police by blaming his mate for the injury.

That may be weak though. Otherwise why wasn't he prosecuted when that one happened. It might only be that he threw a drink on someone for example.

I think that one's only been pulled out to lend credence to this current one.

spider

Coach
I think that one's only been pulled out to lend credence to this current one.
yeah, it would have been expedited in lieu of the recent charge

nothing been said to implicate him in that one though

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
There was nothing ambiguous in the police statements I read ... it all pointed one way.

This is just another domestic violence case to them, they have nothing to gain by not being objective.

& they have nothing to lose by making sure that it gets reported. That way when a high media attention case goes belly up, they are free of blame.

The QLD cops was a different story. QLD cops have been the face of corruption for decades in Australia, with enquiry after enquiry. They are better now for sure, but like a mate of mine who is a senior detective in QLD told me, " do you think if Bird had have just won the game for QLD, that they would have arrested him? Jokingly or otherwise?"

Omnishark2

Juniors
Just curious on something Omni. You read the actual statements or you read how they were reported in the media?
Just the reported statements in the media Frenzy ... identical comments were reported by jornalists from two independent media organisations.

People can hold whatever views they like about media sensationalising stories (of course they do, that's their business model), opinion pieces, puff pieces etc etc

But two independent journalists from competing media organisations are hardly going to fabricate what was actually said in court (particularly when there's an official court record) ...

Omnishark2

Juniors
The QLD cops was a different story. QLD cops have been the face of corruption for decades in Australia, with enquiry after enquiry. They are better now for sure, but like a mate of mine who is a senior detective in QLD told me, " do you think if Bird had have just won the game for QLD, that they would have arrested him? Jokingly or otherwise?"
I agree the Qld police don't have a glorious history of being clean.

But Bird is on record lying to both the club & NSW police, about this far more serious matter.
I'll take the NSW police's version of events this time (& they are probably Sharks supporters too!)

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Just the reported statements in the media Frenzy ... identical comments were reported by jornalists from two independent media organisations.

People can hold whatever views they like about media sensationalising stories (of course they do, that's their business model), opinion pieces, puff pieces etc etc

But two independent journalists from competing media organisations are hardly going to fabricate what was actually said in court (particularly when there's an official court record) ...

Well actually every journo and their dog have had their say. How do you arbitrarily pick 2 as the voice of reason?

I don't know that there's been any fabricating done but I'm sure what's reported isn't necessarily verbatim either.

I can stand corrected on this but I don't thin transcripts would be available to refer back to at this stage. When it's done and dusted no one will bother either so reporting things a little differently to the official court record has little backlash to journos IMO

I haven't commented much on the whole saga. I'm still going to keep my opinion to myself but as I've said before, somethings not right with the whole thing.

spider

Coach
But Bird is on record lying to both the club & NSW police, about this far more serious matter.
i wonder how zappia feels having bird told him a porky (it was watson) and he went on record in the press to defend him

hmmm, would not sit well with most people if they did that publicly

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Why is that a lie though? Might just be an error. Both Kate and Greg said it was Watson at Sutho hospital (if you can believe journos)

??
?
???
?
???

Omnishark2

Juniors
Court transcripts may not be available publicly yet ... but they will be at some point ... so why would two reputable journalists (Fairfax & News Ltd) potentially risk their livelihood, plus the chance of being sued ?

Fair enough position Frenzy ... & I agree something is definitely not right here.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Court transcripts may not be available publicly yet ... but they will be at some point ... so why would two reputable journalists (Fairfax & News Ltd) potentially risk their livelihood, plus the chance of being sued ?

Fair enough position Frenzy ... & I agree something is definitely not right here.

Dunno Omni. Maybe to sell papers? I'd hazard a guess and say news publications have numerous lawsuits going against them at any given time. We just don't hear about it unless it's high profile. I don't even know if journos get sued individually or if the publicatin they represent bears the brunt. There's a get out for them straight away if that's in any way correct (which I don't know)

The whole thing is weird and to me a lot of perceptions have taken over from hardcore facts. Nearly all of which no one here knows.

:)

spider

Coach
can anyone remember just how shattered the coach and CEO were

geez they seemed shattered men

looked more like shattered shatter as opposed to just shattered

they looked so shattered i almost didnt believe the club was going to back birdy through it all

deception can kill a man and his beliefs

just an opinion mind you

Frenzy.

Post Whore
can anyone remember just how shattered the coach and CEO were

geez they seemed shattered men

looked more like shattered shatter as opposed to just shattered

they looked so shattered i almost didnt believe the club was going to back birdy through it all

deception can kill a man and his beliefs

just an opinion mind you

I'm shattered after reading that. Shattered like glass.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Dunno Omni. Maybe to sell papers? I'd hazard a guess and say news publications have numerous lawsuits going against them at any given time. We just don't hear about it unless it's high profile. I don't even know if journos get sued individually or if the publicatin they represent bears the brunt. There's a get out for them straight away if that's in any way correct (which I don't know)

The whole thing is weird and to me a lot of perceptions have taken over from hardcore facts. Nearly all of which no one here knows.

:)

Vicarious liability - journos are employed by corporations, so you go after the corporations (deeper pockets also). The editors are the ones responsible what is published as well.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
But Bird is on record lying to both the club & NSW police
Well, I may be wrong, but can somebody tell me when Bird told the police that Watson did it?
or am I just taking it as a given everybody knows that Bird did not tell the police that?
Milligan was the one injured, she was the one who told hospital staff what happened?
Correct?
Bird rang his friend & said "we(read:milligan) told police it was you"
Bird went to place denies involvement & makes no further comment on legal advice.
Bird denied in court that he attacked milligan, made no further comment.
Also, Bird is under instruction by manager to say nothing to his club from the time of incident. Nobody is to hear about it. deny, deny deny.

I'll take the NSW police's version of events this time (& they are probably Sharks supporters too!)
Which time won't you? & by the way, with the larger stations coming from the St GEorge area & the Cronulla Miranda stations very short on numbers, I would say most are St George supporters.

spider

Coach
Well, I may be wrong, but can somebody tell me when Bird told the police that Watson did it?
CRONULLA star Greg Bird telephoned a friend and asked him how he felt about taking the blame for him, after he allegedly glassed his girlfriend in the face during an argument
The court was told Bird and Ms Milligan initially told police Watson was responsible for the alleged atack.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24237719-5001021,00.html

i would assume the police in court were the ones who spoke with bird and milligan

Last edited:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24237719-5001021,00.html

i would assume the police in court were the ones who spoke with bird and milligan

read it again Spider.
------
Prosecutor Acting Sergeant Matt Zalunardo told the court Bird lied to police by alleging other people were in the apartment at the time of the incident, about 7.30am (AEST) yesterday.

"The accused person ... is actively trying to deceive police by inferring other people were involved in the matter," Sergeant Zalunardo said.

He said it appeared Bird was trying to "pin the offence" on someone else.

--------

Bird has not told police that Watson did it.
it is a media fabrication.

spider

Coach
you asked - "but can somebody tell me when Bird told the police that Watson did it?"

do you think the following court statement is a fabrication?

The court was told Bird and Ms Milligan initially told police Watson was responsible for the alleged atack.

this would have been the officers involved giving evidence in court

they are stating that 'bird and milligan' told them this on initial reports

i believe the police, and imo, the police are not the only party bird and milligan have lied to thus far

Status
Not open for further replies.