What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of real doozies from rugby league administrators this week...

Abandon the junior rugby league representative program in Canberra while AFL begins throwing millions at their junior development here.

Annoy and possibly lose desperately needed sponsors.

Make one of the best players and biggest crowd pullers have second thoughts about staying in our game.

Have I missed any others?

As I posted in the other thread, why is a health organisation funded by NSW taxpayers giving up its cash to a bloke who walked out on NSW to play for Qld even though he is a born and bred New South Welshman And if he is so keen on working for a not for profit organisation he believes in why won't he offer his services free or charge instead of taking public money to do it?

Last edited:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i'd love to see inglis in league but suck sh*t inglis and souths you renged on an approved deal with the broncos

in terms of sponsors we need sponsors but we also have a set of rules we need to follow we dont allow dodgy 3rd party deals (yes i'm aware theres probably a lot of dodgy ones) go through to not offend sponsors.

this makes inglis think twice about league? again, he had an approved deal but reneged. he asked for a release from melb to live in qld with his fiance, which is obviously not going to be the case. had he asked for a release perhaps other clubs earlier in the year would have been able to make a play for him (penrith were rumoured to have the cash). trying to stitch together a deal a few months before the end of the eyar which involves a number of 3rd party deals isnt smart

given what happened in melb this was ALWAYS going to be one of the most scrutinised deals in league history, soufs thought they had some dodgy way of getting him under the cap despite richardson saying "we have no money" a few weeks earlier and have been found out.

*awaits the racism card*

boxhead

First Grade
Alrighty then, who does everyone think Inglis will play with next year?

-Souths
-Parramatta
-Essendon
-St Kilda
-Rugby Union
-Weight Watchers

?

chefman21

Juniors
What do people expect? Melbourne went so far over the salary cap that it nearly gutted our game and gave ammunition for the media and other codes to use. If him going to ANY club means putting them over the salary cap and then the NRL gets caught, then this game deserves all the negative publicity, sponsorship withdrawals and ridicule that comes its way. Does this code have any integrity left or not?

Some may say it's a failing of the salary cap and that it should rise. Well that's crap. When we have multiple clubs struggling financially, then the salary cap should not rise. Until this code can sort it's financial viability out, then the salary cap should not rise any significant amount. Maybe think that one through a little beforehand. Good luck getting any sponsorship deals when clubs start dropping like flies. The best sponsorship deal will come from having a stable competition. This is why we need to stop worrying about player payments so much and sort out the long term financial future of the code. If that means Inglis gets lost to the game then so be it. I'd prefer a stable competition where junior clubs can still be supported than a competition where clubs drop like flies and the ARL, NRL and co have to support them rather than local juniors.

MacDougall

First Grade
F*ck Inglis anyway, he was bollocks this year, he looks bloated constantly. He is clearly a jerkoff with no loyalty to his word. There is no way he will ever get back to his best. Why all the hoo-haa. Give it a year and he'll try his hand at boxing or some dumb thing like that. I'm glad the NRL is taking a stand on the subject and not letting Inglis be exempt from the rules the rest of the players must abide by.

sharko

Juniors
Saints and Broncos were give the go ahead to use their back ended contacts and third party deals after token appraisals from the NRL..I hope Souths bring Scubert and Gallop to court over this and have a brief dismantle them in the witness box..it would make them both squirm!

juro

Bench
Come on Souths, do what you are good at:

1. Take the NRL to court.
2. Organise a march.
3. Get a celebrity to plead your case.
4. Cry until you get your way.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Come on Souths, do what you are good at:

1. Take the NRL to court.
2. Organise a march.
3. Get a celebrity to plead your case.
4. Cry until you get your way.

5. make the finals
6. win a modern premiership

oh.. i see why you stopped at 4..

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Saints and Broncos were give the go ahead to use their back ended contacts and third party deals after token appraisals from the NRL..I hope Souths bring Scubert and Gallop to court over this and have a brief dismantle them in the witness box..it would make them both squirm!

actually both saints and broncos had to increase the appraisals under the cap. gasnier had to be bumped up 50k or so and the broncos had to include inglis legal bill udner the cap before it was green lighted

CMUX

Oh. But Souths wouldn't have bothered submitting stat decs if they thought it would ruin the deal. In the article about the stat decs Richo said they were now very confident of it all going ahead. That tells me it should have all been ok after that.

Well if “Richo” says it’s ok then I see no reason why the NRL should question the deal…. :sarcasm:

One wonders how Gregory will leave Sydney if he does not end up at Souffs. With this unusual summer weather in NSW none of the planes are flying. I guess he can use that yacht the Storm gave him!

skeepe

Immortal
Huh? The problem is the NRL saying those weren't legit 3rd party deals. Which just seems illogical to me.

Here's a little hint for you, so you can recognise the legit from the illegitimate.

If it's a "3rd party deal" organised by the club, it's not legit. If it's a "3rd party deal" that is forwarded to the club and not the manager of the player, it's not legit. If the "3rd party deal" is used to entice a player to play for a particular club, it's not legit.

The NRL are not necessarily saying these organisations are cheating, rather that they didn't organise the deals in the correct manner. They are saying that they were organised through South Sydney, and therefore are not actually 3rd party deals, but enticements for the player to play for South Sydney. Therefore, the deals can go ahead but must be included in the salary cap.

The rules are remarkably easy to understand, really.

Dingus

Juniors
when the deals are set up by the rabbitohs, conditional on him playing there, then clearly it should be held under the cap.

when the deals are unaffiliated with the club for paid 3rd party WORK outside football and set up by the player's manager, perhaps after the player is established at a club, then there it can be approved

If not, then in 2012, the queensland origin team will be playing for the broncos, all of whom will be appearing in one NRMA insurance ad where they get paid $1million each.

Slackboy72

Coach
As I posted in the other thread, why is a health organisation funded by NSW taxpayers giving up its cash to a bloke who walked out on NSW to play for Qld even though he is a born and bred New South Welshman And if he is so keen on working for a not for profit organisation he believes in why won't he offer his services free or charge instead of taking public money to do it?

Because boats don't grow on trees you know.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
actually both saints and broncos had to increase the appraisals under the cap. gasnier had to be bumped up 50k or so and the broncos had to include inglis legal bill udner the cap before it was green lighted
Plus there was no Gasnier in a Saints jersey at training nor was there a club official going on TV to announce the deal before it had been ratified by the NRL.

The whole Gasnier proposal was checked and cross checked and sent back and forth to get it right. It took ages before any official announcement was made. I recall people complaining that it was dragging on too long, and to get on with the announcement. We can now see why complex deals like this take time to lock down.

The Inglis saga is a perfect example why it is important to make sure everything is covered before anyone starts shooting of at the mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts