What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Waddell

Penrith prodigy Greg Waddell on injuries, depression and alcohol
Michael Carayannis, The Sunday Telegraph
February 16, 2019 11:10pm

They were the lucky ones — blessed with talent, passionate and on a path that led to riches and fame. Then it all came crashing down and they had to rebuild lives that would never be the same. Michael Carayannis continues our series profiling rugby league players whose careers ended all too soon.

“League’s best ever prospect.”

The back page headline in The Daily Telegraph on July 26, 2007, put Greg Waddell on the radar of NRL fans.

But the game’s insiders already knew all about the 16-year-old prodigy.

Waddell signed what was then the richest schoolboy contract in rugby league history, a five-year deal with Penrith that delivered about $100,000.

Manager Alan Gainey said there “has never been this much interest in a kid”.

Penrith coach Matt Elliott said Waddell’s hulking frame and athleticism made him “the modern prototype player’’.

Melbourne Storm recruitment officer Peter O’Sullivan said the St Dominic’s student would “be a superstar”.

‘‘He is as good as any I have seen,” said the man who’d already recruited Greg Inglis, Israel Folau, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith and Billy Slater.

But an injury curse robbed fans of ever seeing the outside back play first-grade football.

b1fe265b8f380b3fd2e2811b838b6fc7

A young Waddell presented with his school’s sportsperson of the year award in 2002. Picture: Darren Edwards
The kid who’d said “I don’t have to work or nothing anymore’’ battled depression as he drank away his money, and was reduced to picking up glasses at a bar.

“I didn’t even know how to do my resume,” he says now.

Waddell’s horrid luck started with the ink barely dry on his deal, when he had the first of three knee reconstructions.

Wrist and ankle surgery followed, while Waddell lost count of how many times he tore his hamstrings and groin.

5bc6c626db000d03f31966b54248180b

Waddell was selected for the Australian Schoolboy Kangaroo side in 2007.
“I remember signing the contract and getting photos,” Waddell says of his first brush with frame.

“I was a quiet kid. I didn’t like the exposure. I didn’t feel like there was pressure.

“The plan was I wanted to buy my parents a house. That’s every kid’s dream. I felt like my life was set. I had nothing to worry about. I turned away from people who put me on a pedestal. People always still start the conversation with how was it like. I try and turn the conversation. It’s not an issue

“People always assume I played first grade. It kills me that I didn’t play because I wanted to show that I wasn’t just a bit of hype. I wanted to show that I did have what it took. I wanted to prove to myself as well that I could keep up with the big boys.

“It still lives with me now. I am definitely a should’ve, could’ve, would’ve.”

dba87c887e20ee92678e5314a69fa707

Waddell couldn’t handle the expectations as a teenager.
With his body failing him, Waddell became known as a professional trainer at the Panthers.

His failure to live up to his own expectations challenged him mentally.

“Because of my injuries I was off the field and I began to abuse alcohol,” Waddell says. “It’s the worst thing for you in regards to recovery. I realise now that I had depression.

“I wasn’t in the right head space. Mentally I hung up the boots. I drank my money away which wasn’t good. I was drinking every second day. I was always the guy that would shout the rounds. I was the ‘highest-paid school kid’ so I was shouting everyone. My mates were still in school.

“This is something I’ve never really shared before. I drank and partied. That was my coping mechanism, which isn’t healthy.

“I wanted to play footy for the rest of my life. The dream was to play first grade. That was pretty much it.

“I didn’t have any other aspirations. I don’t watch footy unless my mates are playing. If I had the choice I’d rather watch Harry Potter.”

Waddell had come to terms with his career ending at 22 when his Panthers deal expired. There was a summer contract on offer with South Sydney which Waddell only accepted following a frank conversation with good friend Wade Graham ahead of the 2013 season.

“I played all the trials games and I thought this was my chance, I’d found my feet again,” Waddell says. “It was the third game of the season, playing for North Sydney that I tore my triceps. I did it in the second tackle of the game. I didn’t realise I tore it and played the rest of the half with about 80 per cent of it torn off the bone.

“I had a different mindset. It was a little hiccup to what I’d been used to. When I came back to training we were doing an opposed session and the same thing happened. It happened again. That was my breaking point and I hung the boots up at the age of 23.”

224fe4b45568fd5fcd8d4c22e8461dc2

Now Waddell wants to use his experiences to help others.
Waddell was now at the crossroads.

“South Sydney were sponsored by the Star so they organised me a job as a bar porter,” Waddell says. “I’d gone from earning good money on the cusp of being an NRL player to picking up glasses at a bar.

“That hit home and it was the realisation that this was the end.

“People would see me and I could see it in their eyes they were like ‘what is he doing behind the bar’. I just had to get it done and make a living.

“I still get it. When people see my name some people are like ‘I know that name’. I’m like ‘ah yeah’ and just leave it at that.”

Waddell spent about six months picking up glasses before he entered the next phase of his life. He became a personal trainer before becoming a school and community liaisons officer.

Waddell also spent a year working with the NRL’s community programs.

Now the 28-year-old has found what he believes is his true calling, inspired by his “new teammates”.

305bebe5da0a0110e12755df30dfbf84

It is a blessing that Waddell can smile again. Picture: Brett Costello
Waddell describes his family, which includes young son Axel Rey and fiance Claire, as “the A-team”.

Waddell will launch his mentoring program, which will draw on his experiences and hardships. Creative Spring is an activity-based personal development program giving young people the tools they need to overcome life’s challenges.

“I changed with my injuries and had more of a mentoring role,” Waddell says. “That mindset has carried with me throughout my career.

“It was such a big lesson to learn at a young age. My end goal hasn’t changed but the way I get there has.”
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/eca47dd8dfb3911e220573be5d39dada

Latest posts