What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Group A - Ireland v Australia

langpark

First Grade
Good question, you'd think they'd have to wouldn't they?

I wonder if they just go back to the 2008 blue/maroon one???

langpark

First Grade
I don't think that is solving the problem at all.

HOME team is meant to wear HOME colours, this is the whole purpose of having an away kit...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Ireland wore yellow against Lebanon in the 07 Qualifiers. So Id imagine they'd probably do the same against us.

roughyedspud

Coach
i think every nation should have home and away jerseys...

what would australia's away colours be?

i like the maroon & blue jersey but it does'nt really represent all of australia does it...i have a book documenting games between oldham & touring australia teams and on the 1911 tour australia are wearing what appears to be a yellow/gold jersey (its a black and white photo) with a large 'A' on the left breast..that seems more suitable.

1911_Kangaroos.JPG

Last edited:

langpark

First Grade
It's an embarrassing, unspoken fact, that after 100+ years of history, that Australia don't actually have an away strip. Instead of trying to fix this problem, some people in this thread are saying we should ignore it by forcing the other team to always wear an away strip even though they are the HOME team!

I'd like to see a blue away strip, like the Socceroos. It's quite a relevant colour as it's the main colour on our flag... Maybe blue with a gold V?

503516socceroosawaystri.jpg

Last edited:

Dakink

Bench
I like the 1911 Jersey, would like to see that adopted as the away strip. Also dips that cap to the history and heritage behind the jersey.

Valheru

Coach
I agree with the sentiment that it should be us changing our colours for that match given Ireland are the home team however I don’t like the idea of an “away strip” as such. Our colours don’t clash with anyone else in international RL and the traditional jersey should be worn in all games unless a clash occurs.

bender

Juniors
Maybe Ireland should just buy a set of fluorescent orange bibs and give them to Australia to put over their jerseys, just in case the australian management arent clever enough to realise that there is a clash and they need to bring a change of colours. This might save Australia for shelling out for a new set of jerseys, if it is costs that is causing the difficulties.

Maybe Ireland should worry more about their own jerseys considering the one they are wearing in Philadeplhia has the American flag on it.

Secondly an Australian RL team wearing anything other than the traditional strip, with the possible exception of the sky blue and maroon, is abhorrent.

But the whole notion is based on the idea that the uniforms will clash, which is stupid because there is no reason they will. Ireland will either wear a much lighter green and/or have plenty of white in their uniform. The Cook Islands will probably have a uniform far more similar to Australia's than Ireland will.

Reborned

Juniors
I'd like to see a blue away strip, like the Socceroos. It's quite a relevant colour as it's the main colour on our flag... Maybe blue with a gold V?

503516socceroosawaystri.jpg

This is a embarrassment and does not represent Australia at all. Green and Gold are the national colours.

i like the maroon & blue jersey but it does'nt really represent all of australia does it...i have a book documenting games between oldham & touring australia teams and on the 1911 tour australia are wearing what appears to be a yellow/gold jersey (its a black and white photo) with a large 'A' on the left breast..that seems more suitable.

1911_Kangaroos.JPG

Just wear the current jersey but switch the colour scheme. We should have a yellow jersey with a green V

No Austraian sporting teams wore green and gold until the Kangaroos did in the late 20s. Prior to that the Kangaroos and Wallabies wore blue or maroon or both.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
It's an embarrassing, unspoken fact, that after 100+ years of history, that Australia don't actually have an away strip. Instead of trying to fix this problem, some people in this thread are saying we should ignore it by forcing the other team to always wear an away strip even though they are the HOME team!

How is it embarassing when Australia has only really needed an away strip only once in their entire 104 year history - and that was ironically for a 'home' series against South Africa in 1963?

The first and only time Australia wore an 'away' strip (at home!) was when South Africa wore an all-green jersey and Australia reverted to the 1908-style maroon and sky blue hoops.

I am happy to go with Maroon and sky blue again, but this unfortunately does not represent all of Australia, just NSW and Queensland. Perhaps gold with green 'V's' is the way to go.

Bluebags1908

Juniors

1911_Kangaroos.JPG

I could be wrong, but that jersey i'm sure was the NSW sky blue jersey with an 'A' badge for Australia on it. Not sure the reason but maybe because almost all the players on that 1911 tour were from NSW at that time.

We can't have Australia wear that jersey now because it would cause civil unrest and riots in Queensland.

Last edited:

Reborned

Juniors
No Austraian sporting teams wore green and gold until the Kangaroos did in the late 20s. Prior to that the Kangaroos and Wallabies wore blue or maroon or both.

What were the colours of the caps and blazers of Joe Darlings test team in 1899?
That is beside the point entirely though.

roughyedspud

Coach
Maybe Ireland should worry more about their own jerseys considering the one they are wearing in Philadeplhia has the American flag on it.

it was a special,limited addition jersey you plank

Secondly an Australian RL team wearing anything other than the traditional strip, with the possible exception of the sky blue and maroon, is abhorrent.

But the whole notion is based on the idea that the uniforms will clash, which is stupid because there is no reason they will. Ireland will either wear a much lighter green and/or have plenty of white in their uniform. The Cook Islands will probably have a uniform far more similar to Australia's than Ireland will.

5380.jpg

Australia+v+New+Zealand+0zVuODPf1PFl.jpg

IMG_0952.JPG

like most of us have said..everyone needs a alternate jersey

Last edited:

RedVee

First Grade
I'm not embarrassed.
But it is something to look in to. Hopefully we will have a game against Jamaica and other green/gold countries at some point. Perhaps the RLIF old but out an edit that all away teams wear a predominantly white jersey with piping or incidental colouring in their national colours, a bit like the NFL do, wherever there is a clash. England can do something else, hopefully not an All Blacks jersey though.

Latest posts