What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Group D: Argentina, Croatia, Nigeria, Iceland

abpanther

Staff member
I don't expect much from Argentina this time around, pretty much the same nucleus as last time around only 4 years older. Messi is great but Higuain and Aguero have time and again done very little for the national squad. The midfield is full of defensive mids lacking the speed and creativity to provide good service to Messi and co up front, I mean when you're relying on Mascherano to play in the midfield that says it all. Don't get me started on our defensive frailties!

I think they get out of the group but don't go much further

Danish

Referee
Well f**king well, looks like the goat is likely going to be making a meek exit in the group stage.

Absolutely thrashed by Croatia. if Iceland beat Nigeria tomorrow that will all but eliminate Argentina

DC80

Juniors
I don't expect much from Argentina this time around, pretty much the same nucleus as last time around only 4 years older. Messi is great but Higuain and Aguero have time and again done very little for the national squad. The midfield is full of defensive mids lacking the speed and creativity to provide good service to Messi and co up front, I mean when you're relying on Mascherano to play in the midfield that says it all. Don't get me started on our defensive frailties!

I think they get out of the group but don't go much further
Pretty much nailed it. Their midfield is atrocious. Coming up against Modric and Rakitic is a mismatch. Doesn’t matter how great your forwards are if the midfield is incapable of getting the ball to them.

While not world class by any means Banega should be starting for the Argies as he’s by far their most creative midfielder.

Not convinced they will get out if the group though. This is a shocking outfit who but for Messi’s one man show in the last qualifying game wouldn’t be at the tournament.

isaiah

Bench
#neverapowerhouse Uruguay and Brazil have always been the kings of South American football, historically

DC80

Juniors
This shambles goes back awhile.

Argentina were missing out on qualifying for the World Cup altogether going into the last qualifying round in November 2017...in sixth place, needing to win at altitude in Ecuador (hadn’t won there since 2001), they go 1-0 down, before Messi hat-trick in a 3-1 win.

Poor team, one outstanding player.

Spain 6 vs 1 Argentina, March 2018, three months before World Cup. An injured Messi was watching this massacre unfold in the stands. He left at five.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43549056

After today’s beating, the Argie coach essentially said Messi’s teammates are shite, “the reality of the Argentina squad clouds his brilliance".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44567336

Modric also chimed in, echoing the Argie coach, “Messi is an incredible player but he can't do everything alone”

Messi got just 49 touches of the ball, the best dribbler in the history of the game. Zero supply, it’s the crappiest Argie midfield ever assembled.

age.s

First Grade
Messi was such a passenger in that game. Just chilling in the defensive penalty box while Croatia walked it in for their third. Great player, atrocious captain.

Watching Messi against Iceland, he looked like he didn't want to be there, his body language before taking the penalty was abysmal (hunched over and head down). He probably knew the squad was a mess and he had no way of winning it for them. I wonder how much of a toll the last 3 international tournaments have taken on him. I think the game against Nigeria might be the last time we see him in an Argentina kit. Basically this squad has gun attacking options but a terrible defence and an even worse midfield.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Let's gone Argentina!

The World Cup is better with them and Messi in the knock out stages.

Will be a cracker vs the French.

Latest posts